Fordmods Logo

tyre question 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: tyre question
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:37 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

hi,
i'm looking at buying a set of ba 18inch wheels in pre-au for my xr6 (i know there common but there isnt much else around, lol). I can get "mononew sport" with them in 235/40R18. anyone know anything about these tyres, any good? i might be wrong but if the wheels are 18x8, wouldnt it be better to get 245/40 rather then 335/40 ?

the other brand i can get is Nexen, which i do know and dont seem to bad (slighly more expensive). any help is appreciated,cheers

BA XR6 Turbo, Blueprint, 18's, Premium Sound, Leather.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Compare the rolling radius calculation on the wheels/tyres
that you are running now with the 18's....the closer the better.
As far as running a 235 tyre on an 8" rim, that's fine, no dramas there.

In regards to the tyre brands, haven't heard of either of those, so no
comments there.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Mononew is a new product from a retreading company. Will have to see as to how well they can make new tyres.
http://www.motorwaytyres.com.au/products/

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

I just fitted a new set of four Mononew tyres. 235/40R18's... These ones... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0130496716 So far I couldn't be happier but they've only been on for a few days :P I got no road noise and freakin awesome handling. Better than the SAVA's I had fitted before hand IMO... And for $129 each you can't complain.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Why do so many people scrimp on tyres! Theyre the only thing holding you to the road. I paid $205.70 each for my tyres, and theyre worth it :P Only 215/65/R15's too

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Worst case scenario with a bad tyre... You get a blow out. I've had two of my tyres blow out at 100km/h which was caused by a drunk motorcyclist running into us at 160km/h. On top of that I was driving an 87' Tarago. Guess what happened... I controlled the car and came to a safe stop. And they were also $200 215/65/R15's

I don't know why so many people throw money away on expensive tyres when cheap ones do exactly the same thing!

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

that’s not always the case, some are higher speed rating some are good in the wet some aren’t some have a softer or harder compound all handle differently, in different conditions, saying that a cheap tyres do the same thing, Goodrich TA;s good in the dry f**k in the wet.

i run yokohama 215s in mine as well as the wifes car, reason is under normal every day driveing in he wet or dry this brand works well.

BANNED

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghiaaaaa!

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
I don't know why so many people throw money away on expensive tyres when cheap ones do exactly the same thing!

But they don't, I had sumitomo's on the rear of my car and they were rat s**t; hard compound and were really bad in the wet. now I've got more expensive Goodyear Eagle NCTs and they are the best tyres Ive ever had on a car ive driven. I know i would rather spend the $$$ on a good tyre than a s**t one.

Whiteline'd

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Sorry, I meant they do exactly the same thing as far as blowing out is concerned.

Truth is that all tyres are different and money doesn't necessarily buy you quality. 9 times out of 10 you are paying for a well known brand. You just need to buy a tyre with a tread pattern that suits your driving style and a good treadwear, traction and temperature rating. Tyres with Silica in them also last a lot longer.

Like I always say, it all comes down to how you drive and how much cash you've got to burn.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

Anyway, Nexen's have seemed to be pretty good. The old man had them in 16's on his old EL and the Ba he now has, has them as 17's. He's pretty happy with them.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

thanks guys, its helped to see different ppls opinions about it, cheers

BA XR6 Turbo, Blueprint, 18's, Premium Sound, Leather.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
Sorry, I meant they do exactly the same thing as far as blowing out is concerned.

Truth is that all tyres are different and money doesn't necessarily buy you quality. 9 times out of 10 you are paying for a well known brand. You just need to buy a tyre with a tread pattern that suits your driving style and a good treadwear, traction and temperature rating. Tyres with Silica in them also last a lot longer.

Like I always say, it all comes down to how you drive and how much cash you've got to burn.

I beg to differ. They may seem to have close to the same grip in the first 5 to 10,000 k's but then the difference is huge. You pay for what you get.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

dont skimp on tyres, i got kumho ecstas on my 18s now and F**k they are a excellent tyre and for 235/45/18 they cost me $155 each, going for proxes 4's next time i need tyres though, i dont like paying for s**t tyres, the cheapest brand i would is GT radials

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
MoNGooSE wrote:

I beg to differ. They may seem to have close to the same grip in the first 5 to 10,000 k's but then the difference is huge. You pay for what you get.

mmm... so you said to me yesterday... oh well... time will tell how good the Monoew's are...

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8 & 06 4x4 Bravo

VIC, Australia

I've just fitted Falken FK452's to my car, seem really grippy, cost $185 for 16's..

'04 BA XR8
Winter White, 5 Speed Manual, Sports Leather, Premium Sound, 2 1/2" Cat Back Exh - no rear Mufflers, Lowered SL/SSL, 20's, Underdrives, BF Typhoon Rear Spoiler, GT Steering Wheel, etc.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next