Fordmods Logo

Tyre sizes 

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

has anyone got a pic of an ef/el with the ba xr6 or 8 rims on it?

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:30 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

fairmont1998 - Rims on your car will look great - go the EL Monts :)

The speedo difference will be minor as it has been said...worst case scenario - keep an eye out for an EF/EL Exchaser instrument cluster so that you can enter the percentage of correction yourself - and bob's your uncle :)

As for sourcing 245/45/17's - good luck ! Not many companies make them...the EL GT had Yoki's of (some sort) that were a 'special' one off kinda thing AFAIK...I have asked around many a place trying to source tyres of these specs...I must admit, I am happy with my new SP300's (no, not the s**t ones!) on the front - 235 / 45 / 17. I did have Falken Ziex on the front in the same spec...they looked annorexic compared to the SP3000's - can't recommend them enough !

I had 255 / 40 / 17 Falken GRB's on the rear and they have lasted me 2 years and 4 months...they're on the indicators now...but that's pretty good wear IMO - of course they were looked after 99% of the time - they are also a silicon based tyre too.

Anyway, in regards to your question - I have been driving around with my ex chaser speedo uncalibrated (I just CBF hehe) which was reading about 4 or 5 kmp/h over (a good thing!) up until I was driving to Geelong and went under one of those speed bridges...so I just adjusted the speedo correction on the fly - aaah the marvels :)

My 2c for today !

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:49 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
fairmont1998 - Rims on your car will look great - go the EL Monts :)

The speedo difference will be minor as it has been said...worst case scenario - keep an eye out for an EF/EL Exchaser instrument cluster so that you can enter the percentage of correction yourself - and bob's your uncle :)

As for sourcing 245/45/17's - good luck ! Not many companies make them...the EL GT had Yoki's of (some sort) that were a 'special' one off kinda thing AFAIK...I have asked around many a place trying to source tyres of these specs...I must admit, I am happy with my new SP300's (no, not the s**t ones!) on the front - 235 / 45 / 17. I did have Falken Ziex on the front in the same spec...they looked annorexic compared to the SP3000's - can't recommend them enough !

I had 255 / 40 / 17 Falken GRB's on the rear and they have lasted me 2 years and 4 months...they're on the indicators now...but that's pretty good wear IMO - of course they were looked after 99% of the time - they are also a silicon based tyre too.

Anyway, in regards to your question - I have been driving around with my ex chaser speedo uncalibrated (I just CBF hehe) which was reading about 4 or 5 kmp/h over (a good thing!) up until I was driving to Geelong and went under one of those speed bridges...so I just adjusted the speedo correction on the fly - aaah the marvels :)

My 2c for today !

245/45/17s as mentioned are an odd size, so they'll be hard to find and expensive. Not sure, but probably more than teh 255/40/17's. Or just stick with the relatively common 235/45/17s.

Don't trust those speed bridges, I've gone through them with speedo, GPS - and ended up with three different readings, I know which one I trust - the GPS. As for the results. Speedo 3KM/h high, bridge, 5KM/H high. Also they (the bridges) are looked after not by the police, but by VicRoads, so are nto calibrated the same, or even regularily, and won't stand up in court.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:02 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Well I've done a few kms since then, gone past some coppers and haven't been pulled up...so we'll see what we see - there has to be some basis for a comparison in the public eye...if speed bridges aren't accurate...then what are they there for in the first place :?:

Not wanting to eat my words *touchwood*, but I'd challenge a speeding fine if I thought I was in the right :)

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:09 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

you'd want to be really 100% sure. Cause if you lose, you get hit with a bigger fine, court costs (you'rs and the polices).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

i paid double that for my gt rims :(

Ah well they look good

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net