Fordmods Logo

update all done hows this left rear quarter ea 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: update all done hows this left rear quarter ea
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 412

Joined: 26th Jan 2007

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EA

Location: vic
VIC, Australia

im just new at replacing panels hows my quarter panel looking made up out of front left passenger guard no experience at all also just learning how to use a mig as WELL ALL DONE NOW i still have to paint the whole car yet working on more rust now

 

 

Attachments:
rsz_Picture 347.jpg
rsz_Picture 347.jpg [ 313.34 KiB | Viewed 30 times ]
rsz_Picture 285.jpg
rsz_Picture 285.jpg [ 104.47 KiB | Viewed 34 times ]
rsz_Picture 269.jpg
rsz_Picture 269.jpg [ 124.37 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]
rsz_Picture 268.jpg
rsz_Picture 268.jpg [ 146.48 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]

Last edited by savage78 on Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:02 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 384

Joined: 26th Jun 2005

Ride: 1984 FD LTD

Location: Mackay
QLD, Australia

good start...

in places, the metal looks like its been wraped due to the heat caused in the welding process....

what sorta welder you using?
(i work in a welding supplies shop, and personally like the Lincoln SP170T mig welder... they seem to be able to do everything that the home user needs - but im no Boily - never even welded before!!!)

 

_________________

Member Of "Team LWB"
FD: My Current Project

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... age029.jpg

ZL: A Work In Progress - that went to the tip!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ ... maller.jpg

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: hows this left rear quarter ea
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:41 am 
Technical Contributor
Offline

Age: 50

Posts: 3227

Joined: 12th Feb 2007

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

Location: your mums
NSW, Australia

savage78 wrote:
im just new at replacing panels hows my quarter panel looking made up out of front left passenger guard no experience at all also just learning how to use a mig as well


Dont forget to take the leads of the battery of the car.

im a boilermaker old school, and your off to a good start, try not to run the mig at too high in amps and keep with the small tac welds, space them out a bit so to keep the warping to a minimum, once it cools down then spot weld in between the welds you just did.

 

_________________

BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 412

Joined: 26th Jan 2007

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EA

Location: vic
VIC, Australia

zk wrote:
good start...

in places, the metal looks like its been wraped due to the heat caused in the welding process....

what sorta welder you using?
(i work in a welding supplies shop, and personally like the Lincoln SP170T mig welder... they seem to be able to do everything that the home user needs - but im no Boily - never even welded before!!!)


thanks for the reply makes me happy that you think it looks good i think it looks warped from the smoke on the metal when i feel it with the hand i cant feel the metal being warped
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: hows this left rear quarter ea
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 412

Joined: 26th Jan 2007

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EA

Location: vic
VIC, Australia

BuNtEr wrote:
savage78 wrote:
im just new at replacing panels hows my quarter panel looking made up out of front left passenger guard no experience at all also just learning how to use a mig as well


Dont forget to take the leads of the battery of the car.

im a boilermaker old school, and your off to a good start, try not to run the mig at too high in amps and keep with the small tac welds, space them out a bit so to keep the warping to a minimum, once it cools down then spot weld in between the welds you just did.


thanks for the reply why do i need to take the battery leads off the mig amps are on two and the wire feed is about 9 i played welding on some old car doors before going ahead on the car
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 28

Posts: 1135

Joined: 27th Oct 2005

Gallery: 3 images

Location: SA
SA, Australia

because the battery of you car the negativ
e terminal is connected to the body of the car...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 1880

Joined: 22nd Apr 2005

Ride: ED Futura

Location: Seymour
VIC, Australia

fried electronics
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 42

Posts: 2893

Joined: 24th May 2006

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

Location: Bordertown
SA, Australia

As long as the alternator is not in the cucuit required to weld there is no need to discconect the battery (but it doesn't hurt to disconnect it anyway). To put this another way, keep your earth clamp for the welder as close to where you want to weld. 8-)

BTW the job looks good mate. 8-)

 

_________________

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

And don't have the welder parked near the LHF door/pillar. This is where the ECU lives, and they don't like a strong magnetic field being built up and colapsed near them.
Disconnect the battery, for the ECU's sake.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 728

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: ba falcon

Location: perth
WA, Australia

arent ea panels like $10 each or somthing? or are you just using it as practice
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:42 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 412

Joined: 26th Jan 2007

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EA

Location: vic
VIC, Australia

na2fairlane wrote:
arent ea panels like $10 each or somthing? or are you just using it as practice
if you can get ea rear quarter for ten bucks tell me were from that have no rust cause i can only get them for 250 up
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 728

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: ba falcon

Location: perth
WA, Australia

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EA-Falcon-Right- ... dZViewItem

ok so its the wrong panel but if ur patient u would get one pretty cheap.. i think pick a part is under $50 in perth
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 51

Posts: 720

Joined: 18th Sep 2005

Ride: ef fairmont

Location: orange
NSW, Australia

just a tip on the welding part' get a wet rag so after you weld a bit put the wet rag on the metal this will help it from worping
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 412

Joined: 26th Jan 2007

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EA

Location: vic
VIC, Australia

MARK.TANIA wrote:
just a tip on the welding part' get a wet rag so after you weld a bit put the wet rag on the metal this will help it from worping
thanks i have been doing this as well great tip by the way
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names