Ute mods 

Page 5 of 6 [ 76 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: Ute mods
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

yeah that will look good, i have been looking into doing some interior work... but just seems like im going to be killing the bank account if i follow through with my ideas. ~$250 for steering wheel, $200 per door, then i havent even asked about gear stick, centre console, seats, dash, floor mats, etc... so yeah... will have to re-thik that one to suit a better budget. might have to back off with the leather and choose some other material instead...

yeah i do like that about the falcons, though i was more commenting on the structure of the commonwhores tubs. they have more structure to them. I was looking at my cousins vs ute, and he had mounted things into the inside edges of the tray, but with a falcon tub i wouldnt dare do the same thing due to the structure of the tub...

and again i agree with you there... the mini truckers scene are more show ponies then anything... at least at the end of my tray build it will still remain functionable, as well as hopefully being visually appealing...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Don't be fooled eh this is my toy truck and won't be a quick build like the last. Beauty of still having two cars remember... :P for now anyway, untill someone wants the XR. That and the lux is getting set for a full front end rebuild so the time off the road will be good for tray development.

Interior decorating is always expensive, it's the price you pay for individuality, and hopefully quality. Going to get a quote for my vn spec roof lining soon, been putting it off but needs to be done before it turns into a set of drapes like a true vn.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hmm probably still beat me i'd say lol i am going to go sit for my bike L's soon, then if i can afford it go for the Q-ride a***... get a postie, or something along those lines, for getting to and from work. then ill be able to take the ute off the road for at least short periods of time...
will be excited to see what you end up creating this time round for your lux.

haha yeah i have a similar problem along with my large whole on the steering wheel covering. yes unfortunately it is expensive... i wish it wasnt so though. i think custom interiors (done well) just set a nicely done car apart from an amazingly done car...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2001 AU Ute

VIC, Australia

The upside for me, interior price wise is that I don't actually like leather... and that's the expensive stuff.

That whole interior should only set me back about $500, dash cluster should only be $50-$100, I'd think.

Gonna see if I can pick up some of the BA XR Floor mats, too... those look cool.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

haha yeah, well the down side for me is that i like leather... and its the expensive stuff lol. well to start off with i am going to get steering wheel, gear knob/boot and part of door card... then after that, well it gets expensive with centre console, seats, dash, lower door card, floor mats and sub enclosure. because i have so much to do, they told me that they would need to buy 2 hides of leather (@$300 each)... so yeah lots of cash i dont have... lol

cluster you should be able to get for next to nothing, if your this way inclined... take note of the km's on the cluster you buy ;) but if you are looking for something a bit more unique, then you can get completely customised cluster backgrounds for around $60-70. i found a fella on ebay that will do it from an emailed image or similiar... so always an option if you want to head in that direction.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I want the high series AU cluster, and I've seen it with different colour backing cards, I was thinking of getting a green one to match my interior neons.

Dunno, though. I do like the black.

Just buy leather seats? The AU fairlane seats are so damned comfy.... /drool
Although... they'd probably set you back a fair bit anyway.

I get it, though. Leather does look nice, its just the feel of it I don't like. Especially when it's really hot or really cold D:

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

the xr's have leather seats already, they are just showing thier age a bit now... plus i want to get panels redone in blue to suit the interior panels that i should soon have.

green... sounds good to me. plain interior and get some green logos/writting embossed onto seats/interior panels or something... cheap way to add that custom touch to a car. after seeing the price of what i want, im thinking of just doing that to existing parts of the car...

o yeah, and i could buy fairlane seats... and the joy of having a ute... only need 2 seats! :)

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have one of those custom clusters in my ea. White back fascias ftw yo lol. Leather is awesome, but if you're anything like ford you can do it on the cheap and call it 'leather' lol. My xr has been fully optioned with leather, and the only things that resemble pure leather is 50% of the seats & 10% of the doors, and that's questionable.

A full leather interior is something you find in a ferarri not a falcon lol. maybe try to fit some G6E parts, might be cheaper than TS/TE?

When it comes to steering wheels I don't mind mentioning that my 2002 AU XR with 250,000kms on it, been used as a real workute for it's entire life, has the factory leather steering wheel, in perfect condition, while my 2006 BF Fairmont has the equivilant wheel (for a b series) and at 120,000kms its ratschitt. Even though before me it was only used as a company car for a fragile computer tech type.
I don't think you could pay me enough to buy a newer ford, as nice as they are they just weren't engineered with longivity in mind.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I thought they might of.. but wasn't sure.

Yeah, my steering wheel is in 100% condition.
I also don't like electric seats, oddly enough... is that weird?
Just sh*ts me how slow they move.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I don't like the way ford manual seats flog out and don't lock in on both sides lol
the variable lift drivers side is also attatched poorly.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

haha i had electric seats in my rtv, but yeah i never liked them too much... i am the only one that uses my car, so it never moves anyways.

as far as the leather goes, i just like it cause its easy to keep clean. when im a bit grubby from work, i can just wipe the seats down and its good to go... makes things easy, they dont stain really, nor do they absorb smell. so yeah... unfortunately i just like the expensive stuff...

hmmm i need to look into other models for interior parts... good thinking low_ryda...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

struggle street at the moment... looking for a set of tail lights similiar to the lights in this photo
http://www.aliweld.com.au/gallery.php?l ... 219#photos

i dont know where to find lights like this... i just have no idea where to look. i have tried looking around online, supercheap, autobahn, etc... nothing that matches what i want so far.

i want to mount them flush with the rear rail (not like how they are in the photo above). i am going to take the rear rail into work and mill out pockets for them to sit into, so thats the plan. i just need to find the lights to pull it off.

failing all of that...

do it pretty much the same as this...
http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo24 ... te54-1.jpg
i know its a holden, but it does have a nice tray :) and also ford wheel arches and AU thermo fans lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Go and see your local auto electrician and check out his Hella cattle dog. You will find the strip LEDs in that.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Already tried hella and narva, no lil. But I need to go down there to get someone to check my lights out anyway..

The more I look at that qtunna (hq tonner), the more I like his setup... Hmmm... Simplicity is key I think...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My local autobarn sells them and I don't generally hold them in high regard for stocking usefull parts lol.

http://ledautolamps.com/ is what you need. Brace yourself for pricing though. These lights are the same lights installed into the majority of defence, ses and emergency service vehicles in australia to the best of my knowledge. Great quality, fully sealed, install and forget. Biggest reason I want leds is because I'm sick of fizzing out rear brake lights in the au. The hilux is the same, I'm just led to believe that all tray backs come standard with one brake light, don't fcuk with it lol.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 6  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next