KWIKXR'S gallery image.grille

Post subject: Re: what grille
Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Would be hard to say, because the image link didn't work :P

I'm not too sure which grill you are referring to but these are all the grills i've had so it would be one of these..

NF Fairlane Grill
Attachment:
P1000570 (Small).JPG
P1000570 (Small).JPG [ 48.51 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

EL Fairmont Grill
Attachment:
P1010767 (Small).JPG
P1010767 (Small).JPG [ 50.6 KiB | Viewed 151 times ]

EF Fairmont Grill (Chrome-plated outer)
Attachment:
P1010196 (Small).JPG
P1010196 (Small).JPG [ 56.72 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

EF Fairmont Grill (Standard body colour outer)
Attachment:
P1000826 (Small).JPG
P1000826 (Small).JPG [ 51.41 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]

Hope that helps :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

shoulda kept the lane grill

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Troy wrote:
shoulda kept the lane grill

Don't worry, I still have it stashed away with my other grill's. Only need an LTD grill now to complete the collection :lol:

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:54 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: el fairmont

QLD, Australia

its the NF Fairlane one just got to find one now ,you can get new aftermarket headlights for $80 each ,& your car looks good but i think the dull lights let it down a bit,just fitted new set to my el fairmont & they look exelent (kingswood country parts on ebay )
KWIKXR wrote:
Would be hard to say, because the image link didn't work :P

I'm not too sure which grill you are referring to but these are all the grills i've had so it would be one of these..

NF Fairlane Grill
Attachment:
P1000570 (Small).JPG

EL Fairmont Grill
Attachment:
P1010767 (Small).JPG

EF Fairmont Grill (Chrome-plated outer)
Attachment:
P1010196 (Small).JPG

EF Fairmont Grill (Standard body colour outer)
Attachment:
P1000826 (Small).JPG

Hope that helps :wink:

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

monty EL wrote:
its the NF Fairlane one just got to find one now ,you can get new aftermarket headlights for $80 each ,& your car looks good but i think the dull lights let it down a bit,just fitted new set to my el fairmont & they look exelent (kingswood country parts on ebay )

Thanks bud. Yep, the faded old headlights do let the front end down a lot, i have a brand new passenger side headlight waiting to go on, just need to grab a drivers side one then i'll chuck them on together. They are like $200 each brand new aftermarket over here in NZ :o so i'll definitely grab one off Kingswood Country Parts as well as some new indicators, dealt with them before and they were pretty good.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 am 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

No need for new headlights. Just polish them. If your lazy just take them into Novus and they will do it for you. If your like me and have a few sets of headlights sitting around just buy the polishes from Novus and do it your self.

http://www.novuspolish.com/
http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

Use in the following order and polishing tips are available on the Novus website listed above.

Novus #3
Novus #2
Plexus

Want them to stay clear for ever:

Polish and then wipe with prepsol (a lot of polishes contain wax or silicone to enhance the shine)
then a couple of coats with a good 2k clear such as : Glasurit HS 2k clear: http://www.glasurit.com/en_UK/Products/PassengerCars/923-109.xml

Plexus is also good for detailing paint work for car shows as well makes paintwork feel silky smooth and adds extra gloss.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

bottlejack15 wrote:
No need for new headlights. Just polish them. If your lazy just take them into Novus and they will do it for you. If your like me and have a few sets of headlights sitting around just buy the polishes from Novus and do it your self.

http://www.novuspolish.com/
http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

Use in the following order and polishing tips are available on the Novus website listed above.

Novus #3
Novus #2
Plexus

Want them to stay clear for ever:

Polish and then wipe with prepsol (a lot of polishes contain wax or silicone to enhance the shine)
then a couple of coats with a good 2k clear such as : Glasurit HS 2k clear: http://www.glasurit.com/en_UK/Products/PassengerCars/923-109.xml

Plexus is also good for detailing paint work for car shows as well makes paintwork feel silky smooth and adds extra gloss.

Thanks for the tips and links there Arron, much appreciated mate. Actually might grab some of those polishes, give it a go and see how well they turn out - just until i can afford a new driver's side headlight. I usually use Mequiar's PlastX plastic polish, but it only lasts a week, if that, before it dulls again.

The drivers side headlight needs replacing anyhow, the housing near where the indicator mounts is damaged and 2 of the mounts were cracked after a lady reversed into the drivers side front corner of the car a year or so ago :x. Doesn't affect the way it mounts too much, but it s**t me knowing that it is damaged. Would be good to keep the originals as spares if they polish up okay though.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

This is a set of headlights I have just finished polishing up.
I started with wed/dry sand paper, went through the grades and finished with plastic polish and sealer that is UV resistant.
I had to open these ones up to clean out some dirt from the inside of the lens and off the reflectors.
A little time and elbow grease can really get them shining again.

Image Image

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

yeah they go dull again when the silicone or wax from the polish washes off. Thats why I coat them in the 2k clear paint after polishing. It stops them going dull again and the UV resistant paint stops the yellowing as well. The 2k clear paint makes them look like brand new again.

If your on a tight budget Autosol metal polish will work on plastic lenses as well. Just use a bit of water to lubricate the surface being polished same as you would when polishing paint work.

I don't use sand paper unless the headlights are really bad and even then I start with 2000 grit, If your headlights don't have scratches on them then your just making work for yourself with the sand paper.

Use one of those cheap electric car polishers if your feeling lazy, Just buy a polishing new wheel for each grade of polish.

I may have a spare headlight in couple of months time if you need one.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

These ones needed sanding due to tiny UV cracks in the plastic.
I thought about a 2K clear coat, but thought it would be better to leave raw plastic instead of having a surface that will get stone chips.
I think I will try out lightskinz and see how they go.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

The polycarb plastic goes yellow as the is no UV stabilizer in the EF series plastic headlights. Ford however did use UV stabilizer for the EL series headlights. The cracking is caused by the plastics drying out.

Sanding and polishing actually causes the headlights to go duller and yellow faster than when the lenses were first injection molded as the surface of the lens is damaged during sanding and polishing.

The 2K clear paint re-seals the surface of the lens and makes the lenses appear clearer. Using the UV resistant 2k clear paint stops the lens from yellowing from again as it filters the UV rays.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yes, but they didnt update the Fairmont/lane headlights as they were the same through both models.

The reason they go yellow quicker after sanding is because the UV protection layer from manufacture (hard coat) is removed.
I doesnt really matter if you remove this layer by sanding once they have begun to fade and crack because it is already damaged and no longer offering protection.

How well does the 2K adhere to polycarbonate? Will it chip off in big pieces?

Lightskinz offers UV protection, and is a flexible film so it wont chip away from flicked up stones.
On paper it appears to be a good option for those that dont have the ability to spray 2K clear.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:36 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

That's odd I've owned two EL fairmonts previously and neither of them any yellowing in the headlights. I also have a set of EL headlights in one of my EF fairmonts and they are still crystal clear. My other 3 EF falcons and fairmonts all have EF headlights and are all yellow and need polishing.

The 2K paint sticks really well to polycarbonate and polycarbonate is a commonly painted plastic. however you do need to degrease/prepsol the headlights first as a lot of polishes contain wax.

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Just as a follow up on my cloudy headlight issues...
bottlejack15 wrote:
Autosol metal polish will work on plastic lenses as well. Just use a bit of water to lubricate the surface being polished same as you would when polishing paint work.

Had some spare time this arvo so removed the headlights and polished the lenses using some Autosol metal polish. All i can say is why didn't i do this earlier :lol:. Thanks heaps for the suggestion champ :wink:

I went over them 3 times for each headlight and they turned out great, not absolutely perfect, but heaps better than they were before, in fact i think this is probably the clearest i have had them since i've had the car, and it was all done quickly by hand too. Next time i do them, i might crack them open and polish the inside of the lens and the reflectors, and re-polish the outside of the lens by machine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next