Fordmods Logo

Wheels for EB Falcon? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Wheels for EB Falcon?
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:06 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: want EB

SA, Australia

I want to get an EB Falcon :D , and i am already thinking about what rims and tyres i will get for it, so i have a few questions (i thought i may aswell chuck em all in one topic). This will be my first car, and i am a bit of noob, so please bear with me.

I know the stock rims for the Falcon S and SXR8 are 15x7, and 14x6 for the GL. So if i got an S or SXR8, i could legally get 17s, but what about for the GL? If i got 17s for that, it would be 3 inches over and illegal. But since it is basically the same car as the S, could i get them anyway? (with engineering papers) - i doubt the cops would notice.

Also, does anyone know the rolling diametre for the GL or Ss. I read in the ADRs that you can't increase the rolling diamtre by more than 15mm :( , but does everyone actually go by that? I really wanted to get 17s with big-a*** tyres instead of these little strips of rubber around the edge - give it a hot-wheels look!

Finally, what are the widest rear wheels that you could fit without wheel tubs, and what is the E-series offset. I was hoping for atleast 10in so i could fit 295s, but i don't know what the offset for that would be. And again, could i fit wider rims if i got the S than if i got the GL?

Well thats all! Thanks heaps in advance

Post subject: Re: Wheels for EB Falcon?
Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

ummm... 295's are hell expensive and you'd never be able to go past a copper without getting pulled over.

I wouldn't go over 245.

can't help you with the other questions because SA laws are not applicable over here and I have 18's on my EL. having said that, a high profile on a 15 inch tyre may not be that different in rolling diameter to a low profile on a 17inch.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

Mate, I wouldn't worry about the size too much. My LTD came stock with 15" alloys and high profile tyres, my new 18" rims and low profile tyres are actually smaller in diameter than the 15's.

But check with the relevant local authorities before making and expensive purchases.

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:33 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

congrats on actually doing some quality research before asking a valid question. If you do try and go down the path of extra wide rears, your will be severly limited in mag choices, and those that are avaliable for you will be astronomicly expensive. With the means not justifying the costs.

Good quality rubber in 245/45/17's will yeild the same benefit as cheap 295 rubber. with replacement cost being MUCH better.

almost everyone who has thrown a set of aftermarket wheels on their falcons are running atleast 17's, and I am not aware of anyone that has ever been pulled up for it.

Plenty of rim choices avaliable, most places will know the offset as pre AU,

AU onwards runs a different offset, you cannot run these wheels without the use of spacers/hub adaptors, plenty of argument over the legality of these, still not clear so stay away if you want hassle free motoring.

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

As if the cops would ping you for width but not rim size. Most people know about the 2 inch rule for rims, but I'm not aware of any rules about tyre widths. You can get street legal Mickey Thompsons in - get this - 565s!

With the rolling diametre, i was thinking about high profiles on 17s, but that would make them 51mm bigger (well over 15mm bigger) so i guess thats out of the question.

As for limited choices of mags , i have found over 100 brands of mags, so cutting the options down will be a bit of a relief for me!

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Don't mean to be rude mate, but when you've doubled your years and had I'd say around 4 or 5 yellow stickers and been pulled up a few dozen times.. you can come back and argue with me on this.

If a cop is behind a falcon, and he see's 265's, or 295's and a young guy driving.. he will quite likely pull you over. I know because that was me some years back.. I got pulled over for stuff that was actually not strictly illegal and then they just looked around the car till they found something else to sticky me for.

Nowdays I'm about getting what I want without sticking out to the cops..

hell I'll soon have a supercharged EL that you can open the bonnet on and still not know it's supercharged.
That's what I mean by not standing out.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

I see your point now, and no offenece taken 8-). Just - what about engineering papers? If you prove everything on the car is legal with them, can the cops still defect you or anything? I mean, they don't have engineering degrees so who are they to contradict the engineers.

BTW that supercharged EL would be handy, to say the least!

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sure, you could probably do that.. but if you have 265's or 295's on the back, you'll have to pull the papers out every time you go past a cop, because they will naturally target you.... do you really want that?

Even if the tyres are legal, is there no chance the would find something else wrong like a blown globe or a missing or flat spare tyre etc that is enough to give you a sticky? I've gotten a licky from a cop for a blown globe, and my brother in law got one in his XY GT lookalike for not having a spare... Both cars where clean and neat but had huge rears.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

No such thing as the 2" rule.
They go off rolling diameter.

Falcon PCD is 5x114.3. Pre AU offset is +6mm. Your 100 manufacturers just dropped to about 5.
If you want to run hub adaptors (spacers), you can get rims with an offset of 35-40mm.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
have a play with that to come up with what size rims, width and profiles are the same as the stock E series stuff (205/65/15)

SPECIFIC TO S.A.

The wheel track must not be increased by more than 26mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer. The wheel track is the distance measured across the vehicle from the centre-line of one tyre to the centre-line of the other tyre on the same axle.

Spacers are not permitted between the hub and wheel (unless originally fitted by the manufacturer)

Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) are not permitted to increase or decrease the diameter of the wheel by more than 50 mm than the largest or smallest wheel listed on the tyre placard.

The overall diameter of a wheel and tyre fitted to a vehicle manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) must not be more than 15 mm greater than the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard and not more than 15 mm less than the smallest tyre size listed on the placard.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/per ... etin_3.pdf

If you want to know more about SA specific rules and regs.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1998 EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
hell I'll soon have a supercharged EL that you can open the bonnet on and still not know it's supercharged.

that's the dream; well for me it's for the 6.. :wink:

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

darkL wrote:
frankieh wrote:

that's the dream; well for me it's for the 6.. :wink:

Have a look at the thread in my sig.. I'm a long way along the road to getting my dream.
love the stealth install. If I wasn't worried about stealth, I'd probably have been driving around in a supercharged falcon for a while now.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Thanx for the info krisisdog :D

krisisdog wrote:
Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) are not permitted to increase or decrease the diameter of the wheel by more than 50 mm than the largest or smallest wheel listed on the tyre placard.

I thought that was the "2 inch rule" because 50mm is about 2", but before i thought it was 50mm bigger than the stock wheels the car came with, rather than the largest wheel on the placard.

So what is the largest wheel on the placard, and the largest tyre size? And are the tyre placards different on say a GL and a SXR8?

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: various

NSW, Australia

Hi

All this super wide tyre stuff forgets about one thing. Lets say your car weighs 3000 lbs and you inflate your tyres to 30 psi - then your car will need 100 square inches of contact area to carry the weight, ie. car weight divided by pressure. That gives you 25 square inches per tyre. If your tyre is 5 inches wide then you have 5 inches in the direction of travel ie a 5x5 contact patch per tyre. If your tyres are 10 inches wide then then you have 2.5 inches in the direction of travel ie a 2.5x10 contact patch per tyre.

So you can choose between arranging these inches in the direction of travel (narrower tyres) for grip under acceleration or for cornering (wider tyres). This why fatter tyres on the track often lead to slower lap times - Wider tyres lead to less grip when powering out of the corner, therefore less power can be applied - slower lap time. In the case of rear wheel drive overdoing it will lead to tail out and again loss of lap time.

Softer compound high wear rate tyres should help if you overdo the width thing - I guess it all comes down to how deep is your pocket.

Like everything a compromise is in place.

Show ponies have really wide tyres - fast cars don't.

And in the 4wd world show ponies are for the bitumen roads and real off road cars have narrower tyres.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next