Which light bulbs? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Which light bulbs?
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

Just after some info on what type bulbs my EL XR uses.
Ive got a rough idea, i think, but just need a confirmation, as i am changing all the exterior bulbs to the blue/white light type.

Here's what i THINK they might be, but am not too sure:

Front Headlights: H1 55W (4 of them for the XR style lights?)
Front Parkers: T10 5W
Rear license plate light: T10 5W

Please correct me if any of those are not right.

Cheers fellas'

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

If you buy the Philips Vision (Diamond, Crystal, etc.) globes they come with a free set of whitey coloured parker globes. Easiest and best way is to pull out the current globes quick and check what they are, that way you'll be sure, besides it takes a couple of seconds to get them out (or on the GLi's it does, XR's can be too much harder).

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

thats what i thought about doing, but when i went to take out the parker globes, they were impossible to reach! ..ive been told that the only real easy way to access them is to take off the whole front bar, lol, what a pain! ..i couldnt be bother taking the bar off just to have a look at what type of bulbs they are, and they take it off again to actually put them in, lol!

i thought that maybe someone might already know what sort of bulbs they are?

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I don't see why you'd have to take the front bar off. I would of thought the set up would be very similar to the GLi/Fairmont/Futura/Ghia/whatever set up.

Basically, we have a black cap at the back of the headlights, in the engine bay. One the drivers side it is between teh battery and headlight, while on the passenger side it is between the airfilter box and headlight.
These just unscrew and in there is the park light globe and the low beam headlight globe.
To access the hibeam/bright light globes. You ahve to remove the black splash protector piece that is between the front bar and the engine bay. It's the big long bacl plastic thing that's the entire width of the front of the car and has the bonnet catch in it. Undo that and there's a black cap secured to the headlights by two screws, undo that and your at the birght light/hi beam globes.

You might want to go and check and see if the set ups are similar. Taking the front bar off is a real big pain!

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Basically, we have a black cap at the back of the headlights, in the engine bay. One the drivers side it is between teh battery and headlight, while on the passenger side it is between the airfilter box and headlight.
These just unscrew and in there is the park light globe and the low beam headlight globe.

The park globes are seperate to the low beam globes in the xr lights, ie. the xr's have a whole different asembly for the blinker & park lights on the corner of the fender.

twr7cx wrote:
To access the hibeam/bright light globes. You ahve to remove the black splash protector piece that is between the front bar and the engine bay. It's the big long bacl plastic thing that's the entire width of the front of the car and has the bonnet catch in it. Undo that and there's a black cap secured to the headlights by two screws, undo that and your at the birght light/hi beam globes.

I just removed the black splash protector like you said, and checked the bulb, its a H3 55W, not H1 55W like i thought! But there are no screws or anything, there's just a rubber cup that u just pull off. It's real fidgity though, and i wrecked a perfectly good hi-beam bulb by shaking everything around! ..Damn temper.. :lol:

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Well, at least you've got somewhere now! :-D

When I get an XR front end convesion, I'm going to put the park globes in the same round headlight as the high beam/bright light. That way, when your driving around normally with just your low beams on, both the circle lights will be illuminated...

The indicators on the GLi are easy to remove. You remove that black plastic strip thing. Then there is a single screw holding the indicator to the headlight assembly. Undo this and then the indicator is pulled out forwards. It's got some clip poppy thingo there.
Maybe similar on the XR?

Speak to Rapier. He's just done the conversion so he'd know the parts pretty well...

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

I have put the following on my XR6- Normal driving lights- H1 Arctic Blue globes 55w- highbeams are stock XR high beams- Parkers are the Philips Blue vision T10 5w. Very good globes fkn awesome infact.

* Also if ne one is interested i have The Philips Blue vision H3 12v 55w/ 100w globes. They retail for $80 i will sell them for $40 if ne one wants them PM me if your interested *

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I finally got the blinker/parker unit out! ..i thought i broke it a first cos i heard a loud crack!! :shock: ..but its all good, was just the clip popping out :)

The bulbs say "E1 W5W"

Quote:
Parkers are the Philips Blue vision T10 5w. Very good globes fkn awesome infact

So the parker bulbs are T10's are they?
How much did you get you Phillips blue vision parkers from? And how much?

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
I finally got the blinker/parker unit out! ..i thought i broke it a first cos i heard a loud crack!! :shock: ..but its all good, was just the clip popping out :)

The bulbs say "E1 W5W"

Quote:
Parkers are the Philips Blue vision T10 5w. Very good globes fkn awesome infact

So the parker bulbs are T10's are they?
How much did you get you Phillips blue vision parkers from? And how much?

Cheers.

LOL sorry man the parkers are the W5W the Phillips blue vision Parker lights were free with my Blue vision globes which i bought b4 , and they were the wrong type!!! :x

But yeah W5W are the ones you want, if you buy them seperately they are about $10-$12 i think. :P

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: GLXR 6

WA, Australia

Anyone know if you can get the type of globe that changes colour, like the BMW's or Audi's use? Or is that all in the headlamp itself? I know the R31's have them, which are called Parabolic headlights. Not sure if BMW's call them the same thing...
Also, will it work on a normal GLi headlight or only on xr's?
Cheers.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

doofus wrote:
Anyone know if you can get the type of globe that changes colour, like the BMW's or Audi's use? Or is that all in the headlamp itself? I know the R31's have them, which are called Parabolic headlights. Not sure if BMW's call them the same thing...
Also, will it work on a normal GLi headlight or only on xr's?
Cheers.

I think your talking about the HID. It's a different type of lighting system. You can get conversion kits for them, but they range in price from $350 to $1000.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: GLXR 6

WA, Australia

Oh really? hrmm thats a fair bit just for a better look. Hrmm ill just stick to the white globes :) hehe, ta twr7cx.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

i think the high-beam in the EF XR and EL are H3 globes...
i've got phillips blue vision and they seem to work fine!
narva arctic blue popped in about 4 weeks :(

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i heard that the lifespan of the blue/white lights are much shorter than the standard halogen ones. can anyone confirm this? i'm thinking about getting a set of phillips.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

fairmont_hoj wrote:
i heard that the lifespan of the blue/white lights are much shorter than the standard halogen ones. can anyone confirm this? i'm thinking about getting a set of phillips.

they sure are

the elements n the globe itself is much thinner

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next