Xg/Xh panel van question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Xg/Xh panel van question
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I have a d21 Navara thats 99% ready for rego ( bit of surface rust clean up, new front rotors and finish off parts I have already), but I am getting the itch.
I got the d21 to start up my own pest control business, but I dont know if I really want to spend the rest of my life crawling through other peoples subfloors and roofs looking for Termites.....Not to mention spiders, snakes, bed bugs, German roaches and peoples s**t.
I have always wanted a Panel van, an Xg or Xh would be good as I have learnt already heaps about the E series engines from here and am comfortable messing with them, not to mention they can go alright with little work. The problem I have with the Xg/Xh panel vans is I hate the back barn doors and would love the old sandman style tailgate and full window kind of like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50415738@N ... 786114838/

How hard would it be to do this?
The idea is XG/XH tailgate with an XH rear bumper bar, Fairmont front i6.

Also, if anyone has an XG or Xh panel van that might want to swap for for an unregistered d21 dual cab 2wd 2.4L auto and is in NSW let me know. It dont need to be perfect, the d21 I have is not but complete and drivable in NSW. The d21's are getting up in price and desirable, so might even finish it and sell it.

Post subject: Re: Xg/Xh panel van question
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Its either do up a Panel van or drop a vg30det into the Navara. I got the 2.4L auto as its one of the most reliable engines out there. Its no speed machine ( hence the vg30 thought) but it goes as hard with a full load as it does with an empty tray.

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sorry, new to Fords. Seems like the XD/XE's had a tailgate like what I want?

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:47 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The XG/XH is the same as the late X series (XD/XE/XF) so fitting a tail gate that you want would be no issue, finding one will be.

As for fitting the front end, I assume that you are talking XH as the the XG has a different front to the XH. XG looks XF and the XH looks EF. The front guards and bonnet are unique to the XH. EF/EL Bonnet and guards will not fit. Front bar is stock EF GLi. You can use the guards with the Fairmont bonnet but the bonnet will need to be a cut and shut, doable but not a small job. Better to use the XH Bonnet and mod the front bar.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks mate. Just trying to see what I would need to achieve what I would like to do, what car would be best ( Now Xh thank you) and if its able to be done.
I thought maybe a wagon tailgate, but that would go against the idea I have of cruising with the back window open.
Always helpful
Cheers mate

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Theres almost exactly what I want 2 towns away for sale on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALCON- ... 1e76876118
I dont have the cash right now, there's a bit of rust thats not an easy fix and I would have to get an engineers to drop a fuel injected motor in it like I would want...
I was thinking maybe Xh panelvan, retro fit a ute tailgate and then get a back window off a canopy and retro fit that. That idea I dont know if it would work, if Id still need an engineer's cert and security wise if it would be easy for someone to access the car through this idea.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

My pick would be an XH ute with a Flexiglass challenge style canopy.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
My pick would be an XH ute with a Flexiglass challenge style canopy.

Yeah, problem there is you still have a ute i.e the cabin does not continue from the front to the back. Thats the whole idea I had about the panel van, good old shaggin wagon is what I want

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

In saying all this the Mrs said first thing this morning she wants another kid, that will be 4 in total under 8....... I aint getting rid of the Ef after all the cash I have spent on it, so looks like Ill keep the Ef, sell the Navara and look around for a 6 seater option. Ill get finance I think and either get an I-load or VW Transporter low K second hand turbo deisel. Aint going to have a soccer mum van though, Ill definitely have to give it some attitude.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]