Xr projector lights with HID's 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Xr projector lights with HID's
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

Has anyone fitted a HID kit to an xr falcon with the prijector lights on the front. If so I would be curious to know how well they work, pics would be tops

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

ask waggin, he's got them on his EB Ghia

Banned

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

yeah brads got them. they look very hot too. nice beam spread

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Post subject: Re: Xr projector lights with HID's
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:26 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

djmikey wrote:
Has anyone fitted a HID kit to an xr falcon with the prijector lights on the front. If so I would be curious to know how well they work, pics would be tops

What is the question?

Do you want to know if anyone has installed a HID kit in their XR headlights ?

or

Are you after someone who has retrofitted Projectors in their XR Headlights with a HID system?

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I thought the question was clear... I am fitting a set od ED XR headlights to my ED and am wanting to know or see if anyone has fitted HID kits to them, i know plenty have fitted them to normal headlights and have trouble with glare and dark spots.

I know the projector lamps are the better way to go and hence my question as mentioned above.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

I have done the HID conversion to my EF. The projectors do spread the light very well. No stray light or dark spots :wink:

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:38 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

djmikey wrote:
I thought the question was clear... I am fitting a set od ED XR headlights to my ED and am wanting to know or see if anyone has fitted HID kits to them, i know plenty have fitted them to normal headlights and have trouble with glare and dark spots.

OK, I see what you are trying to do and since you are going to install a HID kit in a standard Halogen headlight.

The result will vary depending on the kit you are going to use.

Have you decided on any kit yet?
If so send a pic of the bulb for reference.

As a rule of thumb, ANY aftermarket HID kit installed in a standard headlight designed for Halogen, will have Hot and Cold spots but most importantly a lot of unwanted glare. You will have to be very lucky to obtain any proper beam pattern from any such cxombination.

There is a lot of information about how to etc. on "HID Headlight" thread on this forum.
Take a look and I am sure you will find everything you need to know there.
If not post your questions here and I will try to answer them.

djmikey wrote:
I know the projector lamps are the better way to go and hence my question as mentioned above.

Retrofitting Projectors is not just a better way to go. It is THE only way to go.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:40 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

chong_bonger wrote:
I have done the HID conversion to my EF. The projectors do spread the light very well. No stray light or dark spots :wink:

Let's see pics of your headlight and a pic of the beam pattern.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I have followed the HID thread and know with a normal reflector type headlight you get the dark spots. With the projectors you get a very specific beam of light.

Will hids perform better in a projector light ie: ED, EF, EL XR lights, or in the standard reflector type headlights.

I am guessing the projectors... do you still have that glare factor from projectors???

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:32 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

djmikey wrote:
I have followed the HID thread and know with a normal reflector type headlight you get the dark spots. With the projectors you get a very specific beam of light.

Will hids perform better in a projector light ie: ED, EF, EL XR lights, or in the standard reflector type headlights.

I am guessing the projectors... do you still have that glare factor from projectors???

Very good questions.

As you have mentioned, it is obvious that projectors are and will always be the better choice.
Ask anyone who has done a few retros and you will soon find out that EVERYONE advises against fitting a HID kit in a Halogen reflector.
It NEVER works properly. And, "almost" is not good enough when you are dealing with your own and others safety on the roads.

And, Yes you will have some if not as much glare from a projector that is retrofitted in a reflector designed for Halogen.
That is why it is so important that the person doing the retrofitting knows a bit about how light and reflectors work.
And, having just worked with headlight is not good enough.
There are so many factors that needs to be carefully looked at and addressed before cutting the reflector and just fitting the projector in it. Any of these factors can result in turning the best projector with a perfect beam pattern to the best projector with the worst beam pattern.
I have seen too many attempts gone wrong.

The beam pattern of different projectors (even from same manufacturer) differs.

The main factor that creates the difference is the shield inside the projector (between the reflector and lens holder).
The cut of this plate is very important.

Then there is the form of the reflector, the type of lens used etc. etc.

A properly done HID Xenon or Bi-Xenon Projector retro will emit such a perfect , clean, even and bright beam pattern in front of the vehicle that it looks like a sea of light if front of you.
You can see the extremely sharp cutoff line of the light on both sides of the road at all times.
And, there are no hot or cold spots in front of you.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

So would you recomend fitting a set of HID's to an ED xr6 as they already have the projector headlights, ef and el also have them as standard

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:48 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

djmikey wrote:
So would you recomend fitting a set of HID's to an ED xr6 as they already have the projector headlights, ef and el also have them as standard

No, I would NEVER do such a thing.
It would be like filling a GT-P with Diesel.

The projectors you have mentioned are designed Purely for use with Halogen bulbs.
The focal point of a Halogen bulb and the Arc centre of a HID differ.
The way that light is emitted from a HID and Halogen bulbs differ.
The reflectors are designed differently.
Every headlight assy. or projector is specifically designed and tuned for use with a specific type of bulb.

Many of brave hearts have made attempts on marrying Halogen reflectors/projectors with HID Xenon bulbs. But have given up at end of the day.
It will NEVER work properly.

So, Instead of going down the road of trying to save few Dollars by buying a Halogen Projector or installing a HID kit in a Halogen reflector. AND, after several months of trying to get the damn thing working, wasting time and more money to fix the problem.
Spend few Dollars extra from the start. Get a Proper Xenon or Bi-Xenon Projector and REAL Xenon Bulbs from either Osram, Philips or GE (nothing else is worth wasting money on).

Have fun,
mavs19

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]