Airbag code 32 (0pen Circuit) after clock spring replacement 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
actually an easier way to check the airbag wires is to short the steering wheel plug, or the lower column plug.
Code 32 will disappear and code 34 will appear instead.
Have you bothered to try this??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Yeah i plugged the actual air bag as you suggested above but it still stays 32.....no 34 at all....Now that diveded blue wire i'm chasing goes over the wheel in the loom to the BCM and i'm about to go out at remove ALL the tape cos it just won't give me a beep on the meter......Hopefully the wires is damaged but it aint gunna be easy up ther???

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:58 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey Snap i just been playin around and got the beep on that wire (terminals in connector are sooo small!).....And then i noticed all the relays up in the bay were clicking on/off while i was moving the loom under the column around so i'm sort of wiggle testing for a break but i also think it's just the big square connectors possibly flexing the terminals....still gotta check that out......But anyways i reconnected the airbag at the shorting plug and now have Code 33 (No L/H airbag/resistor) and this is correct as ther is neither fitted.....So just a standard 2ohm resitor ? ....I think it will be finally fixed now???

Last edited by BlkEB2 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I can't really make any sense of your explanations - I get the impression you haven't followed exactly what I've recommended - my way is easier than pulling looms apart at this stage.
Search for 'resistor' and 'airbag' using my username, and there should be a few airbag posts among the results.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Let me elaborate on what snap is saying for you
The code is saying that somewhere between the module under the dash and the airbag on the steering wheel there is an open circuit, or high resistance.
Now if you remove your airbag you will have 2 pins on the plug, grab a piece of wire and short them out. You should now get a different code which indicates a short circuit rather than an open one.

If that happens then your problem is most likely a faulty airbag, replace it. Otherwise, disconnect the airbag connector at the bottom of the steering column and short that connector out. If you now get the different code that would indicate a faulty clockspring, replace that.

If you are still getting the old code 32 then you can pursue the tedious job of troubleshooting your wiring. Deal with the easy stuff first.

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:30 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yep, well put.

BlkEB2, the emphasis here is to get you to find the info (which is here), and apply it in a logical manner - takes practice, but it makes life easier.

It's not meant to be nasty - it's trying to get you away from being expecting to be led every step through this.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

Hi Friends, I'n new to this site, so fogive me if I do anything wrong.
I have a airbag problem too. When I start the engine, the light flashes for a few seconds, goes out. then after about 10 seconds it comes on and stays on . Any ideas on how to fix it, I have read your answers about code 32 ect, how do I know what the code is on my car, also I have been told the repair could cost upto @1000.00 this seems a bit high, HELP
Baza :(
PS it's a EF Fairmont Ghia

Baza

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:56 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I'll handle this one Snap! 'Baza1' Go to 'Technical Documents' at top R/H corner menu.....There are 2 docs on "Air bag diagnostics'... It is a little overwhelming so read it a few times over.....The fault code chart indicates that the light staying on means it's either flashing the code and timing out (most likely) without you actually noticing...Or ther is no power at the SRS module ie bad connection or connector fallen out etc.....Try turning IGN to ACC and watch carefully for flahes after it 'verifies' (6 seconds) ie three flashes.....pause....two flahes....Code 32!
If it does'nt get under dash behind fuse panel and check 'all' connectors are in proper...Let us know how you go!

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:39 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey Snap does the L/H airbag resistor have to be 2 ohm or wot else can i use???

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

Hi Blk Thanks for the info, I haven't had chance to look yet as the car is in for a head repair, I did foget to say that when I bought the car a few years ago it was doing the same thing, then after a couple of weeks it started to work as it should, also last week I checked the fuse and found it had blown, I replaced it, but the problem was still there.
Cheers, Baza1

Baza

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:00 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The fuse can only blow if ther is a short circuit somewhere......You gotta get under that dash and try and find where this is happening and i can tell you....It aint pretty!!!

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:04 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey Snap.... I went and got a 2 Ohm resistor for the L/H air bag plug and put it in.....With the R/H airbag shorted at the lower plug (bypass) it's still coding 33 (Open circuit L/H AirBag) .....Do i need to get a proper plug from Ford or am i using the wrong resistor????

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Read my post 10Sep in this thread, also look at http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22144

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

G'day all.

I also am having an interesting time with the airbag light.

I have read all the refered posts and have learnt a lot about the airbag system, Thank you all

My problem started with the light coming on only while driving, sometime after 5mins, sometimes after 20min or not at all.

After learning how to read the code I came up with code 32.

I was about to start checking between the airbag control and the drivers airbag, but today I had no light at all and when I checked the code there was no error reported. I am confused.

I have not yet grounded the pin to clear the code.

Is it possible for a faulty body control module to play havoc with the airbag light. A few weeks ago the smartlock light came on for one trip and has not come back on again?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2