Fordmods Logo

Airbag code 32 (0pen Circuit) after clock spring replacement 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Airbag code 32 (0pen Circuit) after clock spring replacement
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Hey Guys,

My clockspring was stuffed on my EF Xr-6 , may horn was going off and it blew a airbag fuse

I replaced it this morning with a clockspring from a EL that had airbags that hadnt been deployed from the wreckers

the unit is identical in everyway apart from the ford part number stamped on it - even down to wire colours and positions

anyway im now pulling a code 32 which is airbag unit low resistance or open circuit , this dosent change if the actual airbag is dissconnected or if its plugged in and not connected under the dash

Is this new clock spring also stuffed or is there something im missing , im not blowing fuses anymore and the horn and cruise is fine

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers

Ash

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

pull the clock spring out and check the resistance of all the wires. Its possible EF - EL are different?

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

yeah ef and el clock springs are different!

You need an ef one!

Nicko

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

damn,

I was going to get the EF one but a guy said once the airbags had gone off they were useless, does anyone know if this is true either ill go back and get the other one or wait for another EF

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

COntact Darren @ ftgautosalvage - Site sponsor
He will have heaps of them and should be pretty cheap

They will throw it in the post to you!

Nicko

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Amongst the connectors at the bottom of the steering column, there will be a two wire connector, the lower plug of the two will look exactly like the airbag plug - you can plug your airbag in and see if the fault disappears - if you're not confident, put a 2 ohm resistor (or an EFII/EL passenger airbag resistor) across it - if fault disappears, column wiring is suspect, if not, fault lies in the wiring to the airbag module.

You can continuity check the two wires upward from this plug to the steering wheel plugs - there has to be two airbag wires there. Barring a problem with the replacement clockspring, you shouldn't need to remove it again.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Yeah i thought about connecting that direct to the airbag but didnt know the effects of it so thought id post here

Cheers guys ill look into it

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey all! I have the same on my project EL xr 6 and have just been checking the clock spring for continuity and got nothing on any wires so i 'assumed' it was faulty! But i just tried plugging the air bag into the lower connection as snap suggested and '32' is still there.....Hey Snap wers bouts is the SRS controler located in the dash.....Is fault 32 commen in EF/L???

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

The airbag module is located behind the dash on the right hand side toward the top.

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

And it's good fun to get to as well . . . . .

Only remove it as a last resort - actually an easier way to check the airbag wires is to short the steering wheel plug, or the lower column plug.
Code 32 will disappear and code 34 will appear instead.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:46 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well i'll be trying that as soon as i get some daylight to see wot i'm axly doing! One other thing i noticed as the front bar is off is a round 2pin connector that is hanging with the horn wires? I never discoed it when removing the bar tho....Doubt its part of the SRS?

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If it branches off the horn wire plug then it will be for the climate control ambient air sensor.

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:42 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey Snap i just tried to check out the loom and find anysort of damage under the dash and man there's alotta wires in there! There appears to be a 'blue' box riiiight up in the corner....Is that the SRS controller? Anyone got any sort of literature of fault finding the SRS? What should i do now.....Rip the dash out ??? :x

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:30 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey all it's been a few weeks and i hav'nt even had a chance to check this prob out yet as it is so bloody hard to get at.....Hey RedGhia have you had any luck with ur's??? I'm still hoping to get some info on 'Code 32' diagnosis....Can anyone help or got any ideas???

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:28 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Help needed! Hey yall I've finaly found the time to get into trying to find this 'code 32 Drivers Airbag circuit Open or High resistence' and it's real hard to find.....I had to remove the fuse panel section (not easy....had to discretely cut the mounts off!) just so i can get to all that wiring which is all now out in the open so thats great....The wiring appears to be all good in the driver airbag circuit right back to the module itself...except for a plain blue with two silver marks that divides into two and also appears to go the BCM.....I can't get continuity on this wire so am hoping it is it.......Does ANYONE have any SRS wiring diagrams????

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next