Fordmods Logo

Airbag Diagnostics 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XY Fairmont

SA, Australia

the ignition barrel surround works a treat too. oh, and there is no back up battery. the code refers to the battery voltage at the air bag monitor, if the fuse blows it cuts power to the monitor and gives a low voltage code

Real Cars have Chrome Bars

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

smally351 wrote:
oh, and there is no back up battery.

This is straight from the Airbag Diagnostics doco. http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=3

Quote:
The Airbag system also contains a Backup Battery, so as to allow deployment, even after the Vehicles battery has been destroyed after a severe frontal impact.

Didn't get around to doing it last night. Might do it tonight while i'm at work. nothing else to do unless the drunks head out big time!! :lol:

will report back.

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Interesting you didit after cganing the steering wheel. When I did mine, had no issues at all.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

This is straight from a Ford Registered Technician with 20years experience on these vehicles, they do not have a back up battery.
The system will remain powered for one minute after the battery is disconnected. This is so that if the car is in a minor collision (eg going thru a fence) and the battery is damaged, the air bag will still go off if the car then hits something substantial, like a tree.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Have you sent in a correction to the admin about the airbag doco ??
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ght=airbag

It would help get our docos correct.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

How do i do that?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Easiest way is to PM the doco moderator, Happy, with the info - copy and paste what you've posted in this thread and the EF airbag thread.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

smally351 wrote:
This is straight from a Ford Registered Technician with 20years experience on these vehicles, they do not have a back up battery.
The system will remain powered for one minute after the battery is disconnected. This is so that if the car is in a minor collision (eg going thru a fence) and the battery is damaged, the air bag will still go off if the car then hits something substantial, like a tree.

So how does it remain powered, mr registered technician?

BTW I consider any energy storage device a battery, capacitors and inductors inclusive.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

The original post referred to a possible flat backup battery. There is no stand alone, seviceable backup power supply for the airbag system. Yes, there are capacitors in the airbag monitor that will keep the system powered for 1 minute after the vehicles battery is disconnected. THIS is the battery that the fault code refers to.
BTW go into a d**k Smith store and ask for a 10 micro Farad battery and see what you get.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

smally351 wrote:
The original post referred to a possible flat backup battery. There is no stand alone, seviceable backup power supply for the airbag system. Yes, there are capacitors in the airbag monitor that will keep the system powered for 1 minute after the vehicles battery is disconnected. THIS is the battery that the fault code refers to.
BTW go into a d**k Smith store and ask for a 10 micro Farad battery and see what you get.

Who goes to DSE to speak with salespeople with electronic component knowledge? Ever since d**k sold the chain 10 or whatever years ago, they're now just a department store with a small corner with electronic parts that nobody there knows what they do.

I know its inaccurate in saying a capacitor is referred to as a battery, but it does the same thing. I should have referred it to a energy storage device.

So a 10uF capacitor will have enough energy to keep the system powered for one minute AND trigger the airbag in the event of a collision? I really doubt it :p

Anyone got an airbag computer pulled apart? I'm betting its got at least one supercap, i'm hoping my life would be worth more than a large electrolytic that will drop in value in the years of service a car does :)

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:47 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I didn't mean to imply that an airbag monitor has a capacitor of that size, was just making a generalization.
Never pulled an airbag monitor apart, by the time you have frigged around under the dash to change it, all you wanna do is throw it in the bin!
Wonder how many people are going to replace the airbags themselves now that they are getting around 10 years old in EF's?
Saw a Volvo (spew) the other day with airbag replacement dates inside the door openings and I think Ford recommend replacing them at 10 years too.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

Hyena wrote:
LOL, report back spermy before I do mine :lol:

Reporting back. Nice and easy to do, once you can be bothered to do it if you're lazy like me :!: :lol:

Turn the ignition to the ON position. I used a length of speaker wire, twisted the ends of it, touched one end on pin 4 (top left of diagnostics plug) and the other to the earth pin (bottom left of diagnostics plug). Leave for 5 or so seconds once code has been shown, and you should hear 5 beeps from the cluster. This means the code has been cleared.

Easy as that - no more annoying flashing light!!

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

yup, did the NL yesterday, works fine, and the poppers did not go off LOL .

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:46 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Au Fairlane !999 Series 1 6cyl

QLD, Australia

mr_sperm1 wrote:
Hyena wrote:
LOL, report back spermy before I do mine :lol:

Reporting back. Nice and easy to do, once you can be bothered to do it if you're lazy like me :!: :lol:

Turn the ignition to the ON position. I used a length of speaker wire, twisted the ends of it, touched one end on pin 4 (top left of diagnostics plug) and the other to the earth pin (bottom left of diagnostics plug). Leave for 5 or so seconds once code has been shown, and you should hear 5 beeps from the cluster. This means the code has been cleared.

Easy as that - no more annoying flashing light!!

. . . I just tried this and it works great,but just to clarify that pin 4 is the 4th pin to the right from the top left corner of diagnostics plug on the top row :-)
. . . So i used a 40cm length of speaker wire that i held onto pin 4 going to the outer metal casing of the cigarette lighter socket for my earth/ground, then disconnect contact immediately after you hear the 5 rapid beeps come from the instrument cluster,switch ignition off wait 20seconds ,start car and look NO more annoying blinking Air Bag light !

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2