Fordmods Logo

Airbag Wiring Help Needed (Code 32) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Airbag Wiring Help Needed (Code 32)
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 02 BA XR6T

SA, Australia

Hi guys,

I replaced the blend door motor on the weekend for my climate control, and since replacing the dash, I now have Airbag code 32 up, which is airbag open circuit. I have tried numerous times to reset the code, but to no avail. I thought maybe Im doing it wrong, and went to the local ford service centre, where they tried to clear it first with a wire, then the with scantool and still no avail. so the decision was the open circuit still exists.

I thought maybe I had left the passenger side bag unplugged, but quickly found that wasn't the problem. I then thought the clock switch may be fooked, but I have continuity between the airbag contacts in the wheel and the plug at the base of the steering column. So I have no idea where else to look? all plugs are back together, I have continuity up the steering column.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the airbag system so I know whereelse I can check for continuity, ie. between the diagnostic plug and somewhere or similar?

PLEASE HELP!

Lee

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2003 BA XT

WA, Australia

I'm pretty sure that 32 means the battery was disconnected and doing the alarm clear should have fixed it, but failing that i'd be carefully having a look at the plugs for the drivers airbag and just make sure they are plugged in.

There is a pretty big threadin here somewhere about the airbag diagnostics and how to clear them.

Search is your friend.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Do you have one on the passenger side? if so you need to reconnect it as the dash out means you have disconnected it.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Guys please read closer.

I have checked ALL connections and they are connected. I have reconected the PASSENGER AND DRIVERS sides. What Im saying is it must be in the wiring, as I have also checked the clock spring in the steering column and its fine.

Someone must have a wiring diagram for the airbag system?? once I have this I can start tracing wires. SO PLEASE, DOES SOMEONE HAVE THE WIRING DIAGRAM!

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The module is under dash behind the fuse panel, good luck chasing the wiring, there is a connector at the base of the steering column with all the other ones and one behind the PAB that goes to another plug that connects to the yellow conduit which runs along the bottom of the windscreen.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Got the same problem myself. Had the dash out the other day and now it's flashing code 32 (high resistance or open circuit). If the seriesII is the same as the series I, code 32 is a hard code and cannot be cleared from the NVM (non volatile memory) until it has been repaired. Ford should have known that. Once repaired it'll flash code 72, which can then be cleared from the memory by shorting out the airbag memory clear pin in the diagnostic socket. I'm going to try and find out the problem tomorrow, but let me know if you have any luck before me.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks for the reply Aldo. The guys at ford checked out the connections under the dash etc, and thought the fault was gone, as did I. When it didnt reset, thats when I went about checking the clock spring etc. I would presume it’s the same in SII as SI EF as the early EL's are the same as all EF's.

I am hoping to go tracing wires again tonight and hopefully source the Airbag unit and check some more continuity. I'll let you know how I go, or if you get to have a go at it before I do, can you please post up what you find?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Go to the wreckers and grab a terminator resistor from a non PAB car. Use that in place of each airbag, that should eliminate the Airbag.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks for that tip! I was wondering about if I could blank off the airbag for checking the wiring. Could this be done for the drivers side too?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think the plug is the same.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

OK well I got onto ford spare parts, the resister is just a 2ohm resistor. Considering they wanted $24 and no wreckers had a clue what I was talking about, I got a 2ohm resistor from d**k. With the resistors in place, I still couldnt clear the code, however on the passenger side I still measured 2ohm with the resistor over the plug. For the drivers side, I measured 0.4 ohms. So the drivers side is shorted, the passenger side is open circuit.

What is the correct reading (side)? is it normally open or normally closed with the ignition off? does anyone have a gregorys or max ellery manual, and does it have the wiring diagram?

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Got some info I scanned from my manual that may prove useful to you. Can't seem to upload them though. Not very computer savvy! I'll get the wife to send them in the morning. I've also got a wiring diagram for the airbag(seriesI) if you're still needing it. Too big for the scanner though, but I'll take it into work on the weekend and reduce it on the photocopier.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

YOU F****G BEUTY!

as you may have guessed, all sorted. All I can say is I feel like a bit of a d**k. There is a 2nd connector (f*** knows why) above the fuse box. I missed it when I put the dash back in, and maybe you have too. Its a small black connector next to the large orange and white ones. I found this out after I finally got a schematic showing the connections, and I thought "hey there is one extra connector there I dont remember"

So there you go. I can go to sleep at long last ;)

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Good to see you sorted it , but doesnt this contradict what you saw in your tests?

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hotwire wrote:
YOU F****G BEUTY!

as you may have guessed, all sorted. All I can say is I feel like a bit of a d**k. There is a 2nd connector (f*** knows why) above the fuse box. I missed it when I put the dash back in, and maybe you have too. Its a small black connector next to the large orange and white ones. I found this out after I finally got a schematic showing the connections, and I thought "hey there is one extra connector there I dont remember"

So there you go. I can go to sleep at long last ;)
The reason is that the body wiring is the same for PAB and non PAB equiped cars. The terminiator is in the dash and is replaced by the wiring to the Air Bag in the dash loom of PAB dash's.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next