AU 'auto off' headlights 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU 'auto off' headlights
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I know some might thing the auto off variable time headlight feature is a bit of a wank, but it was the one brilliant thing I liked about my commodore berlina when I had it, but I miss it. This futura is the highest spec falcon I've owned and I assume its only available on the Fairmont?

Is it possible to fit it to a standard Au2 Futura? And if it is, I assume its not just a matter of replacing the switch with the one with the variable dial on it, that there is something different in the BEM or similar?

While I'm here (save starting another thread if I can get an answer here), does anyone know what the small plastic electrical connector under the flap thats just at the right front of the drivers seat is?

Thanks.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I started a very similar thread on aufalcon.com a while back on just this topic, but it kind of fizzled out. I have the variable switch etc waiting, but the general consensus is that it's BEM controlled.

I do miss the auto off feature from my Berlina also!

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Twins!

Thanks mate for that. I didn't think it would be as easy as replacing the switch.

I know it might seem a funny question, but why don't you swap the switch and see what happens? I wouldn't think it would cause a problem (don't shoot me if it does), I would think it would just not work.....

Comfort and handling wise, I absolutely loved the VR berlina, but I don't miss the 13 times it was in for warranty service within 12mths......god dam it was a piece of junk!!

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

falconboy wrote:
Comfort and handling wise, I absolutely loved the VR berlina

This isnt my one eye Ford views here, but every Commodore in the VN to VSII were all uncomfortable compared to the Ford equivalent to me, I compared the suspension ride of a stock Commodore to worse than XR suspension from EB-EL, the worse Commodore suspension was anything with stock FE2, jarring with poor handling.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Fair enough. I like it anyway. :)

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

hows the au system work?

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

and why does a P.O.S. $10k Hyundai have variable delay wipers and rear fog lamp when GLI falc didnt for $35k?
the other great feature I have seen is the heated mirrors on my wifes old astra.
I am actually rather disappointed in the spec level of our Territory Ghia. The car is great but could have a few more luxuries included for your $60k.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
and why does a P.O.S. $10k Hyundai have variable delay wipers and rear fog lamp when GLI falc didnt for $35k?
the other great feature I have seen is the heated mirrors on my wifes old astra.
I am actually rather disappointed in the spec level of our Territory Ghia. The car is great but could have a few more luxuries included for your $60k.

Cause rear fog lamps are annoying as all f**k! I kicked my mates in cause he kept using it.

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Cause them cars are made for enviroments were heavy fog, rain and just general annoying wheather occurs more then once every few weeks. Heated mirrors but i think that really is a wank feature,, are they supposed to stop the mirrors from fogging up (again an enviroment issue).. Also money don't mean s**t it all comes down to the build quality.

60k Terror Ghia the same money in a country were all the korean/china cars are made can get you like 5 of the highest "quailty" cars.. but you can't really f@rt near a terrority and dent it or even rest ya hand on it and dent it... these are cars not made to be thrown away in 2-3 years.. those cars (korean cars) are made like toasters etc it breaks buy a new one etc.

the larger Aussie / American made cars are made to last....

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Exactly, we just sold my dads 01 Hyundai accent with 220 ks for 2k because we couldn't be bother putting a 3rd gearbox in it.

We retired my moms old ef falcon a few months ago as a parts car, 350k's, because we couldn't be bothered putting a second gearbox in along with a coilpack.
It still shifted better etc. than the hyundai.

So 350k's for a falcon gbox, 110 per gearbox in a hyundai.

Hyundai always stopped and handled like a shopping cart compared to the falcon, I know which I prefer.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Well, its not our fault you didn't buy a Futura at least. But for the difference in price you get a decent engine, transmission, power, space, reliabiliy, great crash protection and handling. Oh, and those rear fog lights are actually illegal.

Why do we need them here? Thats a euro thing for sub zero temperatures.

I am actually rather disappointed in the spec level of our Territory Ghia.
The car is great but could have a few more luxuries included for your $60k.

Like what? I doubt you'd get anything more in the equivalent 60k Beemer, which would only be a base 3 series anyways.

I would assume if you didn't feel it was value for money you wouldn't have bought it!

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

i agree with rick, the australian car market is always going to be playing catch up with euro and japan because they are protected by imprt taxes.

Ie an mp3 decoder is not a feature on any falcon fairmont etc up until fg.
Thats a disgrace, in fact territorys wont get one till teh 2010 face lift.
When you compare the mitsu 380 came standard witha 5spd gearbox, bluetooth car kit, elec windows all around and mp3 decoder

Ford and holden have a lot of work to do to catch up

Nicko

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Nicko wrote:

Which involves the loss of the Falcon and Commodore.

I take it you'd swap your XR6T for a Sportivo just because its a bit more feature advanced hey?

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Nicko wrote:

yes only recently owr aussie motors have come up to scratch consider this the first efi falcon six was aroung 1985 /6 ish but the japs have had efi since like the 70's some with some yank tanks etc

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

This is easy to fix if you want all the options imports come with, all Australian workers take a huge equal percentage pay cut, drop the Australia dollar value to South Korean "won" (KRW), leave essential items basically at the same cost, then car production cost in Australia will probably drop 40+% and then we might have a closer playing field with Korea to offer all the standard items for export Falcons etc, but then it comes back to square one, because then can't afford those options on our non export Falcons because of the pay cut.

1.00 KRW = 0.00104139 AUD Currently.

^This rubbish is just out of my head, it isn't fact but it isn't to far off the mark.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next