Fordmods Logo

AU cruise/radio buttons on an EL steering wheel? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU cruise/radio buttons on an EL steering wheel?
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 2016 Territory TS SZ MKII

NSW, Australia

Hey guys, new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I saw a thread recently about fitting an AU steering wheel into an EL and it got me thinking. The AU wheel's radio/cruise buttons look very similar to the EL's cruise buttons.

Ignoring the whole different wiring/resistor thing, does anyone know if the AU buttons will physically fit on an EL steering wheel?

Post subject: Re: AU cruise/radio buttons on an EL steering wheel?
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

You could use the complete plastic backing plate/shroud which holds the wiring and buttons from your wheel because the actual steering wheel is the same between ef/au

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

Putting the answer simply, they will fit straight in. I feel that if you are going to stick the swithes in, you should make them work too. I have fitted the AU buttons on my EL GT steering wheel....

Apart from the ignition barrel, all of the wiring on my steering column is off an AU. I altered the wiring, so that the wiring from the cruise control on/off switch (located on the end of the blinker stalk) ran to the plug at the bottom of the clock srping (where they normally are on the EL) instead of through the combination switch plug (where they are on the AU). The AU has 1 additional wire through the clock spring, purely for the audio controls. I installed a CAT 10 adapter, so that the steering controls will work with my pioneer head unit, which is done by a infra-red sender that I mounted on the front of my gear knob...

All up, it was a lot of messing around, as I had to figure out how to do it. I lined up the AU wiring diagram to the EL, and noted all the differences. There were other parts that were not on the diagrams, which I figured out by using a multimeter. Once I figured out what I had to do (which took a few nights after work), I had completed the conversion within one day.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Looks awesome. how do you turn on/off the cruise now that you don't have a on/off switch for it?

John

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

liveaxle wrote:
Looks awesome. how do you turn on/off the cruise now that you don't have a on/off switch for it?

I do have the on/off switch. As I said earlier, all the wiring (except for the ignition switch) is off an AU...

The Airbag, steering wheel switches, clock spring and the combination switch are AU on my car.

The on/off switch is on the end of the blinker switch

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

using the infrared sender, it is basically a whole remote control (like the ones that come with them) but spred from the wheel to the gear knob?

Very neat...

Can i enquire what a CAT 10 is?

I am going to a EL column in my ED to get variable intermittent wipers...

I want an AU momo wheel, will the EL cruise buttons fit into an AU wheel with no worries (don't want the audio ones really...)

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]