Fordmods Logo

AU series 2 BEM module 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU series 2 BEM module
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Hello i own a AU series 2 forte and i am wonderingif it is possible to change the body control module from a low series to a high series module out of a fairmont?

Is thos sort of change possible with having heaps of problems or havign to change heaps?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

you can but u need to get it done at ford as each bcm is coded to the car etc

ie u put a high series bcm in a low series car it will not start. :(

not sure if the plugs are the same i woudl think they would be, some of the higher series features are on the low series bems but the wiring is just not there ie antenaa half height switch

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

So u mean that the low series bem module can control the half hieght switch for the antenna if it is wired up?

Alos could the bem control 4 power windows as iam convertign my back windows to power windows as well?

So all i have to do really is get the smart lock reprogamed to my car and it will be all good?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

u have to get the bem replace at ford and recoded at ford,

if you have power windows in the front, adding the rears should pose no drama at all

and yes it will control it

pop over to aufalcon.com there is a docco there how to do it, BUT check behind your rear demister switch to see if teh wiring is already there, i have au1 xr6 and it was there allready all i needed was the swithch )

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Did the AU xr6 have a mid series bem module?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

I'm pretty sure the low series BEM, doesn't have the 1/2 height function. I.e. the wiring isn't there or the pin positions.

Adding rear power windows is fine, you need to add a relay to keep the 60sec wind up after the key is out of the ignition. (If you still want that function).

But yes as Frank said, your car won't start... Ford will need to program the BEM, to suit your car's ignition & remote.

I think the AUII/III got a High Series BEM, except didn't use all of the functions of the BEM. (Not too sure)

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

So LG u think that the AU 2 forte has already got a high series bem module in it just doesnt use all the functions?

Is any of the wirign already there for rear power windows? if not is it difficult to wire up?

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

lg i think the wiring is not there but the pins on the bem are BUT u need to add the pin on the plug or something

aufalcon.com has the details

RIP SCOTT

Post subject: Re: AU series 2 BEM module
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

joe23 wrote:
So LG u think that the AU 2 forte has already got a high series bem module in it just doesnt use all the functions?

Is any of the wirign already there for rear power windows? if not is it difficult to wire up?

No, an AUII Forte has a low series BEM.

The wiring for the rear power windows isn't in place for the rear. You need to either make your own looms or buy "High-Series (Fairmont/Fairlane) Rear Door Looms" from Ford, $$$.

Low Series BEM:
- Wiper Control After Wash
- Manual Control of Illuminated Entry & Exit Delay
- Manual Central Locking Control
- Remote Boot/Tailgate Release with Hazard Acknowledgment
- Manual Boot Release with Security Time out and Speed Dependant Disable
- Door Unlock with Horn/Hazard Warning
- Intermittent Wipe
- Heated Backlight
- Remote Control for Illuminated Entry
- Remote Central Door Locking with Hazard Acknowledgement
- Automatic Door Relock Timer
- Electronic Immobilisation
- Diagnositc Capabilities
- Battery Saver
Additional AUII/III Features:
- Manual Control of Illuminated Entry and Exit Delay
- Remote Drivers door Lock/Unlock
- Panic Alarm
- Key in Lock Warning Horn/Hazard
- Anti-Theft Warning LED
- Transponder Challenge/Response Immobilization
- Diagnostic Self Test
- Power Window Operation (Key Off)

High Series BEM Additions:
- Front Windscreen Wash Motor Control
- Power Window Operation (Key Off)
- Speed Sensitive Intermittent Wiper
- Instrument Cluster Illumination (LCD & Graphics) Control
- Power Antenna Control
- Automatic Headlamp Switch Off Action (Manual Over-ride)
- Headlamp Warning Chime, Headlamps on, Ignition Off

So for you to control the electric aerial to fitted to your car, you'd need to install a module or a relay, for the 1/2 height function. Unless you fit the high series BEM, which is costly, then you can just wire it up to the pinouts.

Also for the Instrument Cluster Illumination, you could just set up a Variable Resistor to control the amount of resistance, to reduce the current, hence dimming the lights. I'm gonna hopefully try this soon.

You can also add the Automatic Headlamp Switch Off, with a simple circuit/relay. You can also incorporate Automatic Headlamp Switch On with a light Sensitive Diode. You can buy these kits which are universal for any car.

So to add rear power windows, unless you fit the high series BEM, you can wire it up, but if you want the rear power windows to work similar to the fronts, you need to install some of your own relays to allow power to still be accessed to the switches/motors, even when the key is out of the ignition for 60 secs (Default time).

Quote:
lg i think the wiring is not there but the pins on the bem are BUT u need to add the pin on the plug or something

aufalcon.com has the details

On aufalcon.com, it talks about fitting the 1/2 height antenna to an XR, which has a mid-series BEM. Which has some of the High Series BEM function, if not all the high series functions (it just doesn't use them all).

Because XR's were fitted with Electric aerials, the only problem was that they went up all the way, when the radio was on, because they werent connected through the BEM, so Ford didn't have to put a 1/2 height antenna button in all the XRs. So it's fairly straight forward for them.

Hope this helps

Post subject: AU 4 litre motor
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Thanks LG i got my hands on a mid series BEM out of a AU2 xr6 so that can control the half height switch no worries?

Also so it wouldnt be that difficult to add the rear windows with all the relays etc? A auto electrician would know what to do right?

Post subject: AU series 2 bonnet
Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

LG why woudl it be costly to install a high series BEM? do u have to change a fair bit to make it work?

Post subject: Re: AU 4 litre motor
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

joe23 wrote:
Thanks LG i got my hands on a mid series BEM out of a AU2 xr6 so that can control the half height switch no worries?

Yes should, you just need to follow the instructions on aufalcon.com. Run the wiring from the aerial to the BEM, to the Switch and then to the Headunit (or something similar to that)

Quote:
Also so it wouldnt be that difficult to add the rear windows with all the relays etc? A auto electrician would know what to do right?

A professional auto electrician should know what he's doing. The door loom though, might be a bit difficult, and instead of paying the labour for the electrician to make his own wiring loom, it might just be the same cost to buy the loom pre-made from Ford Spare Parts. Still costly though, as you need to buy the door trims to suit the power windows, for the rear.

The only thing, is that it's costly and if you pay a professional to do it for you, it may take a bit of fiddling around time.

You need to buy:
- Motors & Regulators
- Door Trims to Suit Power Window Switches
- All new Power Window Switches, and a 4-Switch for Driver's Door
- Wiring looms (if you decide to go that way)

Even buying these parts 2nd hand from a wreckers is gonna sting you. I picked up my 4-way switch for $75, but i had to buy a new bezel (surround) to make it look decent, as the wreckers one was faded. This was around $30. Just the 4-Way Switch from Ford costs $140. Motors & Regulators, will set you back about $180 new/ea, $100 2nd hand/ea. Worth it though, if your gonna keep your car for a while.. :)

Quote:
LG why woudl it be costly to install a high series BEM? do u have to change a fair bit to make it work?

I'm not too sure. As you see from my post before, there is something like 30 pinouts. Meaning you'd need to cut all these, put in the new BEM, connect it up to the correct pinouts. Then tow the car to Ford, and get Ford to program your BEM for your car.

I'll tell you why: When you put your key in your ignition, the key has a encrypted code, the BEM transmits a code to the ignition lock. If the codes match, the BEM sends a code to the PCM, and then continues.

So putting in a foreign BEM, will not have the same code's. So if you try starting your car, it could quite possibly immobolize itself.

And if you pay someone to do it all. You'll be paying for the labour to rip apart the dash, change over the BEM. Take it to Ford. Ford will most likely charge you a bomb, then take it back to the workshop, and finish it off, and put the dash back together. All that plus, any other extra little costs. If you did do it, you could upgrade to a High Series Dash, with climate control as you should have the functions, you'd need to change over your heater box, and some other crap.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

actually the bem is a 5 minute jobby :) quite easy to get at in the au's :)

dam lg u got some usefull info in that head of yours.

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
actually the bem is a 5 minute jobby :) quite easy to get at in the au's :)

dam lg u got some usefull info in that head of yours.

lol thanks... Actually joe23, if you are putting in a Mid-Series BEM, then you wouldn't need to add relays for the rear power windows if you put them in, because the mid-series should have that function. You'd need to connect it up to the BEM, instead of the relays as some XR's had full (front & rear) power windows.

Just outta interest, how much did you pick up the BEM for? Call up your local Ford Service Dealer, and ask them how much they'd charge to "Re-program the BEM, to match the codes to suit your car". They most likely won't know what your going on about, so try and speak to an experienced Employee, and tell them that your existing BEM died, and you put in a new one, and you want to reprogram it, so your car can start.

Something like that.

I remember i was talking to one guy, and he was saying that you can't put in a AU XR6 ECU, into a AU Falcon. Something about the XR having different features & components in the car/engine hooked up to it or some crap. I don't think he knew what he was talking about.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Thanks LG so changign the BEM isnt just a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging it in to the new one and getting it reprogrammed? Im gonna put the mid series BEM in, Is it just unplug my low series one and plug it in to the mid series one and get to recoded and all is well or woudl i have to change the pins around in the harness?

I got the BEM for a carton of beer off a mate. I have BA XR8 door trims and windows controls so i save there. It just the wiring im not sure of.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next