Fordmods Logo

AU steering wheel into a EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: AU steering wheel into a EL
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Yes I know they bolt on but how hard it the rewiring of the Air Bag,Cruise control and adapting to audio button to after market head unit
Thanks

Fordz Rule

Post subject: Re: AU steering wheel into a EL
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

Barnzey wrote:
Yes I know they bolt on but how hard it the rewiring of the Air Bag,Cruise control and adapting to audio button to after market head unit
Thanks

For it to work, you will need the whole AU setup - airbag, cruise/audio switches, clock spring and combination switch.

For the audio controls to work, it depends on the head unit that you have. The easiest way for it to work is to buy a CAT10 adapter. You will be looking at about $250 for the adapter alone.

You also need to change the wiring at the base of the steering column. The EL on/off switch for tthe cruise control runs through the click spring wiring, and on the AU, it is through the combination switch wiring. You will also need to change the resistors on the AU cruise buttons (the Set+, set- and coast button), as the AU uses very different resistance values.

That being said, it can be done. I have done it and am happy with the result

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:17 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ive seen a picture of a guy with an AU momo wheel and the factory Ef/EL cruise buttons on it, so there was no need for the au cruise setup though...

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

SVD115 wrote:
ive seen a picture of a guy with an AU momo wheel and the factory Ef/EL cruise buttons on it, so there was no need for the au cruise setup though...

Correct. The steering wheel remained the same between the EF and the AU. My steering wheel is an ELGT momo wheel. I just liked the idea of the AU black airbag (The design more than the colour), and that I could get the adapter for the audio controls for a good price.

It is a bit of work (and I can't remember exactly what wiring I swapped - otherwise I would have made a tech doco), but it was not as compliated to figure out the wiring differences betweeen the 2 models using the wiring diagrams and a multimeter.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]