Fordmods Logo

AU3 mont cluster LED conv - diff b/w black and brown globes? 

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: AU3 mont cluster LED conv - diff b/w black and brown globes?
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

There's also a "T5 B8.5D" globe which looks like the T5 globe fitted to the existing globe holder from the cluster. So I guess you can either use T5's with the holders, or T5 B8.5D's by themselves.

I said to the guy at Jaycar "wasn't there another kind of T5 globe" and he said no... wish I'd got him to check properly, they may have had more than 5 of those. Grrrr!!!

Here's the cat numbers and what they look like

T5 B8.5D 12VDC LED Globes
White Cat No. ZD-0384
Red Cat No. ZD-0385
Blue Cat No. ZD-0386

T5 Wedge 12VDC LED Globes:
White Cat No. ZD-0380
Red Cat No. ZD-0381
Blue Cat No. ZD-0382
Blue Cat No. ZD-0396

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

*** sigh ***

DO NOT BUY THE JAYCAR T5 LEDS. THEY DON'T FIT!

They're slightly shorter than the ebay ones but I think they're a tiny bit fatter. Pushing them in makes them spring back, like they're pushing against the PCB or perhaps the light filter surround. ebay ones go in fine, empty holder goes in fine...

The T5 B8.5D globes look like they're shorter and a better fit. How ironic that if the guy at Jaycar knew what he was talking about, and I'd purchased those instead, I would probably have a lit up cluster now.

It's been a comedy of errors tonight. First I couldn't get the vent out, then I broke a plastic tab trying to get the cluster out (the broken tab fell inside the cluster, into the display area), then one of the LEDs came out while I was trying to push it in (before I figured out that it was fouling something) and FELL INTO the back of the cluster, broke another tab while trying to work out how to get it open. I left it at that because I'm likely to cause more damage trying to get it out, better just to leave it in there and hope it doesn't short out a track.

This thing is absolutely s**t me up the wall, it took 30 mins just to get the cluster out... so many things going wrong tonight...

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

Odd, those were the same T5's I used in my EF cluster and they fit fine.

Think the wedge is the one for my keyhole light too.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BF XR6 ute

QLD, Australia

hmm be careful with the blue LED's i've got some in mine and the speedo lights up fine but anything thats red (redline, needles) doesn't light up at all. Really annoying, not sure if this is an AU1 thing or what..anybody have a solution?

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

deanxr wrote:
hmm be careful with the blue LED's i've got some in mine and the speedo lights up fine but anything thats red (redline, needles) doesn't light up at all. Really annoying, not sure if this is an AU1 thing or what..anybody have a solution?

Probably the laws of physics... put perfect blue light through a perfect red filter and it will be completely blocked. They're opposing colours.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

rowan194 wrote:
deanxr wrote:

Probably the laws of physics... put perfect blue light through a perfect red filter and it will be completely blocked. They're opposing colours.

lol yep true that, Although I have seen AU2 clusters with blue leds and the red all still lit up. not sure how that works?

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Ok, another warning... and my night just keeps getting better...

Lots of things don't work with the cluster disconnected - including the transmission! It screams along in first and doesn't seem to change until I lift my foot off the accel. (It's NOT limp home mode, it is definitely first and it definitely changes when I back off). I also noticed the steering volume controls don't work, and the trip computer doesn't work. Engine also seemed to have a slightly different note but that may just be because I don't usually hear it in first much :)

So I guess the cluster is more than just passive instrumentation, it must signal speed and other data to the ECU, which affects even basic functionality like the automatic transmission.

I thought I could get away with using my GPS for speed indication and the trip computer to make sure I'm not about to run out of fuel, but it seems not. I still need to go to Jaycar, so I'll either have to temporarily reinstall the cluster (which I don't really want to do), or use another car. All this because the bloke at Jaycar thought he knew better. Grrrr

edit: Looks like I was wrong about the trans changing, it is really just stuck in first. I usually only lock into first when going up an extremely steep hill so in that case backing off the accel makes the car lurch a bit, but on flat ground it's a lot smoother. Tried it before in the supermarket carpark, with the cluster connected, and it's the same :)

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

so how do we convert the clusters to blue. i went to jaycar and the t5 leds didnt work. have you changed them sucessfullly? thanks

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I don't have the answer yet, since I discovered tonight that the T5 B8.5D LEDs - the ones I mentioned above - don't fit either. (No surprises there, this thing is turning into a nightmare)

So none of the T5 LEDs from Jaycar are suitable.

I'm going to try Repco tomorrow, maybe Supercheap, see if they have any T5 LEDs.

BTW if you use white LEDs the cluster illumination will actually look quite blue. There's probably a blue coloured filter inside the cluster to make the incandescent yellow look more white. If you use blue LEDs then you may run into the prob mentioned a few messages prior, the red needle may be invisible...

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

These will definitely work, just look for the colour you want, they are three prong style ones to spread the light, just plug into the holder and screw in and you're done. Not cheap at ~$5 for 2 though

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Super-Wide-Ang ... 2858wt_941

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

mmm i went to repco and the lady was useless i havnt tryed bersons yet but they are normally helpfull. im also a bit suss about the ebay ones.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

fpvf250 wrote:
mmm i went to repco and the lady was useless i havnt tryed bersons yet but they are normally helpfull. im also a bit suss about the ebay ones.

suss? in what way?
Those are the exact ones i bought for my cluster, same seller, good quality and quick postage just a shame they're so expensive

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

edit: sorry i didnt see your post, they look promising do jaycar sell them?

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Thats cool, i don't think so, i went around everywhere trying to find something that even resembled those and ebay was the only solution.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ohk ill give ebay a go. did you use the blue or white? oh and do ya have a pic by any chance?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next