Fordmods Logo

Automatic headlights when unlocking 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

slimjim wrote:
if u lock the doors it wont trigger the lights to turn on. because the power to lock the doors goes through a differnt wire..
if u were to unlock the doors via the switch inside the car will do the same thing.. but wat i am goin to do is. wire it all up the way i said, but also have it so when the ignition gets turned on it over rides the timer.. and turns lights off.

I was talking about unlocking doors. :P I just thought of a solution for the situation I described anyway... have the door switches reset the timer. This immediately turns off the output relay.

If someone locks the doors inside the car, then opens them (activating the door unlock cycle, and the timer) the reset line will be pulled low by the door being ajar. If it's a 555 based timer then it will probably have a reset function already, if not then it can probably be hacked in.

You could also have the accessories rail reset the timer and switch off your headlights (to mimic the interior light behaviour)

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

rowan194 wrote:
I was talking about unlocking doors. :P I just thought of a solution for the situation I described anyway... have the door switches reset the timer. This immediately turns off the output relay.

If someone locks the doors inside the car, then opens them (activating the door unlock cycle, and the timer) the reset line will be pulled low by the door being ajar. If it's a 555 based timer then it will probably have a reset function already, if not then it can probably be hacked in.

Just realised this will not work in the situation where someone presses the door lock button then the door unlock button without actually opening a door. I guess you could wire that button as a timer reset also; if it's pressed when the timer is triggered then it's effectively ignored.

This is getting complicated. ;) I guess some guys may not even care about headlights going on under these circumstances. ;)

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I really have to stop posting in this thread... but one more thought for now. :)

Does the factory fitted alarm use the same keyless entry keypad, or a different one? If it's the former then there must be an "alarm on/off" connection from the BEM to the factory fitted alarm. I can't seem to find it on the connector list, but there are a few "Not Used" ones. If it does exist then that would be the perfect trigger.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA Futura

VIC, Australia

rowan194 wrote:
I really have to stop posting in this thread... but one more thought for now. :)

Does the factory fitted alarm use the same keyless entry keypad, or a different one? If it's the former then there must be an "alarm on/off" connection from the BEM to the factory fitted alarm. I can't seem to find it on the connector list, but there are a few "Not Used" ones. If it does exist then that would be the perfect trigger.

well there is a factory upgrade alarm kit that is fully blown with all sensors.. just dunno if its got a light output aswel... havnt looked for any infomation on it..

Ba Futura. on gas. lowerd, 17 xr wheels tint, ipod n bluetooth. nothin to xciting. does the job and goes cheap.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

rowan194 wrote:
This is getting complicated. ;) I guess some guys may not even care about headlights going on under these circumstances. ;)
Certainly sounds complicated - I'd say you'll need a good schematic of a BEM if you can get it. Otherwise 2 x SPDT relays and a 1N4004 diode will do the job, as previously described. If you guys are meaning in your previous posts to tap into the unlock wire to the doors, be aware that the lock/unlock system for E series falcons is a -ve trigger, and that the lock/unlock wires change polarity - i.e. unlock wire is 0v when doors are locked, and 12v when doors are unlocked.
Best of luck Guys - let everyone know how you go . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2