Fordmods Logo

BA Analogue Clock Fitment 

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Nicko wrote:
I have a BEM and wiring harness here for a clock - cost me a fair bit!
Lukey - the reason you wont find it is because its not part of the main harness

Ill take some photos

What's a BEM?

Looking at the clock I've bought , I can see the 2 large clips but they seem to sit too far south of the back of the fascia panel to get a screwdriver in there to provide good enough leverage to unclip the unit.

Although the left hand side clip seems closer to the edge so maybe that should be unclippped first.

I looked at Jaycars website part no PLO756 and see that it comes with 600mm of cable...would this be a sufficient length to go from teh clock to the instrument cluster? I take it the other end has to be soldered into the cluster which is a job I'll leave for the Auto Sparky

Cheers

Cheers

Aklso the clips oin the dash fascia seem to be too far

BA Mk2 GT 6 Speed Manual - Silhouette

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

ozmale42 wrote:
linz wrote:
Yep, that's right...don't know how to post up pictures but I just did a search on JAYCAR under computer internal cables and there it is!!! Catalogue no. PLO756 SOUND CARD/CD-ROM AUDIO CABLE ( it's the thin black 4 lead plug)....so much for Jaycar staff saying that they don't sell those leads!!! Cheers Linz.

So if I buy this from Jaycar this substitutes for a loom?....If so that's great!...Theres a loom on ebay at present but when I inquired about a "buy now" price the guy came back with a price of $75.00...too much

How much is the Jaycar part?

An auto elect will fit the thing for $70

Cheers boys
The Jaycar part is $3.10 but I went to a computer repair store and they gave me a few of the 4 pin connectors plus some other plugs and cables for zilch...because they have different guage wiring in the 4 pin connector, I pulled out all of the real fine wire and replaced it with all the same size from the other spare connectors. It's easy to do, you just flick up the small plastic retaining flap at the rear of the plug and slide the wire out and replace with new cable. All that's left to do then is connect the 4 wires to your dash cluster harness as in the tech document...Hope this helps. Linz.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

ozmale42 wrote:
Nicko wrote:
I have a BEM and wiring harness here for a clock - cost me a fair bit!
Lukey - the reason you wont find it is because its not part of the main harness

Ill take some photos

What's a BEM?

Looking at the clock I've bought , I can see the 2 large clips but they seem to sit too far south of the back of the fascia panel to get a screwdriver in there to provide good enough leverage to unclip the unit.

Although the left hand side clip seems closer to the edge so maybe that should be unclippped first.

I looked at Jaycars website part no PLO756 and see that it comes with 600mm of cable...would this be a sufficient length to go from teh clock to the instrument cluster? I take it the other end has to be soldered into the cluster which is a job I'll leave for the Auto Sparky

Cheers

Cheers

Aklso the clips oin the dash fascia seem to be too far
Hey mate, you posted while I was replying, the leads that i replaced from my plug are only about 30cm but I'll be soldering on some extra lengths to reach the cluster. If the clock you have is a BA/BF unit, it should clip straight into your dash without any problems....Linz.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

So do you think the wiring that comes with the Jaycar unit is the correct gauge? Is so I think I'll buy this for $3-$4 andd hand it over to the sparky with the clock for fitment

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

What I bought is the clock itself as well as the triangular fascia panel with the pod moulded on top. My existing fascia panel is an XT so has no clock pod....I don't really mind if I damage the old fascia panel when I take it out but don't wanna mark/damage the dash pad in the process.

It just seems you can't simply just slide a screwdriver at 90% to unclip the panel, as the clips seem to sit further south of the top of the panel ....so if you need to slide a thin screwdriver in then it seems you must have to lever it somewhat to reach the clip.

Sorry if I sound dumb here, but don't wanna damage anything

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Not part of the main harness Nicko?

So what part of the loom is it part of and what does it connect to? I thought the Clock was part of the dash loom.

So what colour are your new and old BEMs? I take it your new one is green?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Oops, I missed some questions.

The BEM is one of the Control Modules in the BA. The 'Body Electronics Module' is responsible for doing a bunch of digital IO to control things such as the power lines for the Windows, the Door locks and the Courtesy lights - and it provides power for the clock on a specific pin. While you can take power from other parts of the harness (as per the tech doco) from the factory it is meant to be the high series BEM that provides the power to the clock. The Instrument Cluster controls the illumination level, but the BEM is configured to pass that through to the clock as well (There are Workshops tests for Clock Illumination that check continuity between specific pins on the BEM to make sure the illumination level is passed through.)

Interestingly enough, the ICC takes the illumination level not from that wire, but from a message on the digital CAN bus. Sounds pretty inefficient to me, but then the BA really is a hybrid car when it comes to the control system - adopting many of the CAN technologies that Ford will be using in the future, but surviving with many legacy technologies from pre CAN days.

And the clock panel/blank panel itself is quite easy to remove. I've done it using just my fingernails into the back left and right of a BF fascia once. If you're worried about marking things, I used an old expired credit card one time, and another time I used a plastic knife.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Oops, I missed some questions.

The BEM is one of the Control Modules in the BA. The 'Body Electronics Module' is responsible for doing a bunch of digital IO to control things such as the power lines for the Windows, the Door locks and the Courtesy lights - and it provides power for the clock on a specific pin. While you can take power from other parts of the harness (as per the tech doco) from the factory it is meant to be the high series BEM that provides the power to the clock. The Instrument Cluster controls the illumination level, but the BEM is configured to pass that through to the clock as well (There are Workshops tests for Clock Illumination that check continuity between specific pins on the BEM to make sure the illumination level is passed through.)

Interestingly enough, the BEM itself takes the illumination level not from that wire, but from a message on the digital CAN bus. Sounds pretty inefficient to me, but then the BA really is a hybrid car when it comes to the control system - adopting many of the CAN technologies that Ford will be using in the future, but surviving with many legacy technologies from pre CAN days.

And the clock panel/blank panel itself is quite easy to remove. I've done it using just my fingernails into the back left and right of a BF fascia once. If you're worried about marking things, I used an old expired credit card one time, and another time I used a plastic knife.

Lukeyson

Thanks champ, appreciate your help

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Mr lukeyson,
here is some pics - The loom plugs into the bcm - Speaking to a mate who works at FPV these need to be changed to fit it - apparently the bem is different, i dont know why - i would have thought the 555 timer would be in the clock rather than bcm

hope this helps you, btw BF2 wiring loom will be different to BA as they upgraded from smartshield to the new transponder locking system. Also the car talks to teh cluster to start also i believe

Nicko

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yikes.

Still, any new info is good info. Are there any part numbers on that harness?

A lot of the Smartshield stuff, as far as I know, is on the CAN bus, so I still hold hope that smartshield can be passed on the BF loom. There is one step, however, that's not 100% clear, and that's the communicaton between the keylock transceiver and the bem. That still appears to be wireless to me although it's triggered by the key insertion and car start.

As for the different pinouts - what were you referring to there? BEM J4? I note that the BA manual doesn't discuss much about the ICC harness, which is obviously (well, obvious now to me anyway) where the Clock connects. But it does show it briefly in diagrams when discussing the air register and remote key receiver removal processes.

But could you confirm my assumptions Re: the connectors (and could well guess that I haven't yet pulled the guts out of my dash yet.)

From one end of the harness to the other, I can see:

* The Black J4 split with an unknown White Male connector in the plastic bracket. This thing looks to be the same type of connector as the Video Input for the ICC...?

* At the first split, the shortest wire with the white connector must be to the Cabin Temp Sensor right?

* Same split, foam-covered wire with black connector, with the dark-cream shield from what I think is the Video connector - must connect to the ICC somewhere?

* Then at the next split, the foam covered line with the blaco terminator and plastic locator is obviously the Clock Lead - as can be seen in your subsequent images.

* And the final lead with the white connector must be for the Remote Key Receiver Module.

The attached image is the closest thing I could find to an image that seems to show the ICC Video Input in the position you show in your images.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
BEM Connectors.GIF
BEM Connectors.GIF [ 11.27 KiB | Viewed 859 times ]

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Ok I bought the Jaycar connector

It is a 4 pin connector and fits into the clock perfectly. However there are only 3 wires coming out of the connector. It seems that one is not used.

There is an identical connector at the other end plus wires coming from that connect that run to a smaller 4 pin connector.

The cabling length seems long enough to be taken through to the dash cluster so i'm just gonna put it in the hands of the auto electrician for him to sort out.

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ozmale42 wrote:
Theres a loom on ebay at present but when I inquired about a "buy now" price the guy came back with a price of $75.00...too much

Cheers boys

Any chance of sending a link through to this auction? I'm not a bidder, just interested to see if this is a genuine loom or if it's the dude with a CDRom cable chopped up with some instructions?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

[/quote] Any chance of sending a link through to this auction? I'm not a bidder, just interested to see if this is a genuine loom or if it's the dude with a CDRom cable chopped up with some instructions?

Lukeyson[/quote]

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... &rd=1&rd=1

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

$75 for THAT!

Holy cow.

That's either wishful thinking, great enterprenerial skill, or a rip off merchant waiting to pounce!

I'd rather redirect anyone that want's a BA Clock Harness to Nicko with who has shown a genuine harness than point you to that eBay goose (or really smart bloke, depending on your take on it)....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
$75 for THAT!

Holy cow.

That's either wishful thinking, great enterprenerial skill, or a rip off merchant waiting to pounce!

I'd rather redirect anyone that want's a BA Clock Harness to Nicko with who has shown a genuine harness than point you to that eBay goose (or really smart bloke, depending on your take on it)....

Lukeyson

Tell me about it. the clock and fascia itself didn't cost me much more than that !!...An auto elect has quoted about $70 to fit so If I also paid $75 for the loom on Ebay the whole exercise is gonna set me back near on $250.....Bloody expensive clock....Could buy a nice mens Seiko watch for that !!! ha ah

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next