Fordmods Logo

BA - CarPC 

Page 7 of 12 [ 170 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Re: BA - CarPC
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Nope, I'm in IT. Mate next door is a boilermaker though. But I did build a 2 x story kids cubby house in the back yard out of cross-braced 1" RHS - half the lower level is my lawn locker too. That was fun.

This was the first time I'd ever used my Dremel in anger - I must say it has paid for itself and doubled it's money in one sitting. Awesome piece of kit, I wish I'd had one sooner. It was purchased for, and will be seeing action later, on some Mirror Indicators I'm planning on putting into my BA scalps.... (exterior-modifications-f15/au-ba-bf-mirror-indicators-t74979.html)

I hacked the back off the case today. Results were fantastic - enough for me to start fabricating the mount plate in earnest now.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
IMG_4804_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4804_WEB2.jpg [ 64.05 KiB | Viewed 346 times ]
IMG_4801_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4801_WEB2.jpg [ 112.6 KiB | Viewed 338 times ]
IMG_4806_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4806_WEB2.jpg [ 88.05 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
IMG_4807_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4807_WEB2.jpg [ 70.3 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: F6 Tornado

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
FYI, auMatt has been able to identify the chip that does the RGB output on the colour ICC screen thanks to some hi-detail pics I took of the circuit boards ages ago. He's been considering on-and-off doing some R&D to find out if he can get an RGB sgnal direct off the board. If that's the case, that opens up the possibility of using an after market LCD screen that can take the low-res RGB signal as an input 1, and give you the option of having a 2nd hi-res input from an alternate device.

Heya Luke, no time no speak ;)

I've been playing with the factory LCD since starting with my Carputer, and have a spare working controller board here, which I could reverse engineer and play with.

There are a couple controller chips:

1) Main RGB chip, which is a Sharp IR3Y26A
2)Overlay controller, MB90096

The LCD is a 400xRGBx234 TFT unit, meaning you will need to provide 800x468 resolution to drive it proper, and get the best results. The controller board has an onboard inverter, as well as R,G, B and Common outputs to drive, well, it seems, an VGA (RGB) monitor - without having a full datasheet on the IR3Y26A, it is difficult to tell though.

I have an older NEC 320x200 LCD here to have a play with, so I will see if I can set the resolution to suit that LCD, and also check if it was a 5V panel, which seems this is what the Sharp chip is driving.

The crappy text resolution is why I went for a Transflective NEC NL8060B21-03 8.4" LCD, very crisp, and gets better in direct sunlight too.

Interesting project you're busy with, I decided on the Commell LS-372 3.5" motherboard, with a Core-2-Duo T7100 (1.80gig) cpu, 2gigs of ram, and a OCZ Apex 60gig SSD.

From power-on, to windows desktop is 21seconds....fast bootup was a major priority for me, as well as having ample processing power. This unit is very small, physically same size as a 3.5" harddrive, and Synrax Australia stocks them. Fairly exxy, but well worth the price - the newer LS-373 is virtually the same, with mini-pci express vs mini pci slot. Chipset is the nice Intel 965GME.

Herewith a few datasheets that might help Matt - I guess if we can find out what max resolution the IR3Y26A can drive, we might have a chance - seems retrofitting std 800x480 7" LCDs should work fine with the info that we have.

Looking forward hearing from you.

Attachments:
mb90096_onscreen_display_controller_lcd_datasheet.pdf [398.54 KiB]
Downloaded 541 times
Sharp_lcd_lq6bw_datasheet.pdf [123.16 KiB]
Downloaded 473 times

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

@ Lukeyson - show auMatt this, he might be happy :)

Was difficult to get, but, here is the IR3Y26A datasheet - have a look at page 25 for a typical application circuit:

Pins:
4 -> Common out
29 -> R out
33 -> G out
35 -> B out
48 -> Sync out

Attachments:
Real_IR3Y26A_datasheet.pdf [1022.48 KiB]
Downloaded 482 times

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Nice sleuthing mrbean. You've dug up some good info.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

;) I sort of stopped playing with this spare controller once I got the NEC transflective display, much better than anything else in direct sunlight. The Display can be driven directly via LVDS from my Commell motherboard, but I opted to get a Digital View ALR-1400 controller instead, it seems the Genesis controller chip on the ALR also have video overlay capabilities - you see where I'm going with this? Hehe. So much to do, so little time.

Great work on the paddle-shifter btw, I think you can put my name down for one - you going to roll this out, d_m? Been following your development with great anticipation.....

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:19 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

mrbean wrote:
Great work on the paddle-shifter btw, I think you can put my name down for one - you going to roll this out, d_m? Been following your development with great anticipation.....

Cheers, yes I'm going to be making/selling them. I'm currently waiting on my first prototype PCBs (x2) to come back from manufacturing. Once I'm happy with them, I'll get a batch made up.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There's also a Serial eeProm in the Display Controller as well - I think close to identical to the chip in the Instrument Cluster. We've been wondering what it does for ages, and now I suspect it is feeding data to the Overlay controller somehow, or else it contains the data for the test screens.

Is it worthwhile firing up a new thread for reverse engineering the ICC? I made a few little extra discoveries with the ICC the other day too - I managed to locate the OBD2 commands to generate the test display modes. Pics are at the end of the BA Scantool Fun thread.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hello Luke,
Yes, I saw the serial eeprom - it might contain the test-screen data as per your other thread - great discovery btw :)

It might be worthwhile starting a reverse-engineering thread of the ICC and/or LCD controller - I need to start going on a little pet-project to eventually replace the ICC with a microcontroller, and utilize the existing space for a big carputer touchpanel, maybe 15" in portrait mode.

Acres of wasted space.......wich Ford would stick to standalone double-din stereo systems......damn.

edit: Added serial eprom datasheet.

edit2: There's also a 2134SL microcontroller, and in hindsight, I guess this microcontroller, with the serial eprom will be controlling the graphics for the overlay. In essence, there are 2 "seperate" graphical controllers on this controller board, one for the main graphics, being simply a passthrough from the external source, such as satnav or carputer, and then the internal controller, handling the CAN-data from the ICC, and using the 2134SL micro/eeprom/overlay controller to display to the TFT.

All conjecture on my part, but I think pretty accurate anyway.

I purchased a very nice little AVR CAN-controller kit from Dontronics, with the eye on engineering a hardware replacement for the complete ICC, and I think it is pretty do-able - see the AVR-kit datasheet....as well as the usb-jtag programmer.

So, is this the case that I'm all dressed with nowhere to go :(

Hehe....

Attachments:
avr-usb-jtag.pdf [15.09 KiB]
Downloaded 438 times
Dontronics_AVR-CAN.pdf [51.33 KiB]
Downloaded 414 times
93c46w6_serial_eprom_lcd_datasheet.pdf [156.96 KiB]
Downloaded 382 times

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:52 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Oh yeah, if that won't get you over the brink, herewith a simple CAN bootloader application for the aforementioned AVR kit :)

Comeon Luke/data_mine, you know you want to..... :rofl:

Attachments:
Slim_CAN_bootloader-rev-1.0.0.pdf [249.55 KiB]
Downloaded 425 times

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:55 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Now if you can find the Ford logo 'boot' screen, and replace it with a FPV logo, you'll have FPV owners beating down your door.

Add infinitum, for XR logos, custom whatevers.

Even though it's a eeprom, is it externally programmable? That'd be great.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Well, I have this...sort of...herewith an idea what my logo looks like on my CentraFuse frontend :)

Soz for the off-topic, Lukeyson, will reign myself in and wonder back on-topic....

Attachments:
FPV_CF_Logo.JPG
FPV_CF_Logo.JPG [ 49.77 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

FPV logo is banned from my car. Only Ford or XR are allowed in....

I don't think there's enough space in that eeprom to map out a whole image - most of that stuff would be programmed in VRAM on the overlay chip itself. But with the night/day mode I wonder if there's a colour map of some sort?

With that negativity on the table, you never really know until you get into it do you - because if you can get to the VRAM, I suspect there'd be people wanting more things than just adding the FPV boot logo. The Clock on current SY Tory's is something a lot of people have been asking for too. But then what other dependencies are there on turning the clock on? Given the control over the clock from the menu, I suspect the clock itself would have to be in the main controller unit itself as well as the overlay unit.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:39 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

There's a thread over on FordForums about it, and I got a few peoples hopes up with this chop.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:59 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

You're a naughty man, Data_mine ;) You had me there for a moment....

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Oh, and just to go off topic for a bit, my M2-ATX power supply has apparently been held up in customs.

Pfft. I should have bought that clone off eBay....

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 12  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next