Fordmods Logo

BA - CarPC 

Page 6 of 12 [ 170 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Re: BA - CarPC
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I'll be interested in seeing how you go with the VGA. I'm also in exactly the same boat, I'm having difficulty getting my Intel 945-based system to output a VGA signal the ICC is happy with.

Have you thought about a case like this? It's the system I am using, it looks uncannily like a car amp (so it might not be a bad idea to mount it out of sight to deter thieves) but its very tough and looks like it belongs in a car.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Well, it's not the VGA output that bothers me any more, it's getting the VGA Out to work at the same time as the TV-Out while running the custom resolutions. I'll put up a tutorial when I get it happening. For now I can only get VGA to work at my res using the custom IEGD driver, or get VGA and TVOut working in 'Clone' mode using GMA drivers but without the custom res.

And yeah, cases exactly like that. You haven't looked at the case links I put up earlier? They all look like that.

What is that one, where did you get it, and how much? It looks suspiciously like a Black Mini-Box VoomPC, which was listsed above....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey, can you take some W x L x H measurements of that unit when assembled, and a 2nd L measurement the includes the cables at the back? Maybe some pics of it up against a 30cm ruler might be cool.

Pretty please?

Lukeyson

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I've just been exchanging emails with Chris Wood at Mobile Computing Solutions (www.mo-co-so.com).

I gave him the dimensions of my available 'confined space' within the factory GPS/Sat Nav area, and I indicated that his gen IV boxes probably won't fit - as much as I'd like to make use of the new 'PCI Card' compatible box (for those of your wanting to go down the ArcadeVGA path - there is now a way!) or the upcoming chassis that will support an Optical drive.

He then indicated that in 2 to 3 weeks a more compact enclosure would be released. He almost made it sound like it might be a single-DIN unit - which raises the question of whether it would actually be a Mini-ITX or a Nano-ITX enclosure.

I'll provide more details if I get them.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

a mate of mine had a single din car pc in his ba xr ute

Ill see if i can find teh pics of it

Nicko

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I've seen them too. They appear to be nano-ITX based systems. The Lilliput Single-DIN PC has been around for over a year now. There have been one or two others appear in that time too.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'm on a mission to rally the troops. For more details as to why, click here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/1288225-post376.html

In summary, we want Intel to add support for the 945GC chipset to the IEGD Custom Driver software, so that we can add simultaneous operation of VGA with custom resolutions and S-Video Output in Dual Independent Head mode - which would allow Interface display on VGA and Video Display via S-Video to headrests or roof displays for example.

If anyone here is interested in using an Intel 945GC based chipset in a BA/BF/FG Falcon or SX/SY Territory CarPC application, please raise a support incident with Intel and ask that support for the 945GC Chipset be added to the IEGD Driver

Use this link: http://supportmail.intel.com/Welcome.as ... ,2424,2926

Wait for the initial email response, then select 'Escalate your question to a technical support representative' at the bottom of the email.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Scans of the 'GPS Mount Plate' that I made out of cardboard on the weekend. It needed a little trimming on one side to fit. Scanned in at 300dpi. Ruler should help.

Also, picture of it up in place.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
IMG_4754_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4754_WEB2.jpg [ 102.24 KiB | Viewed 237 times ]
IMG_4753_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4753_WEB2.jpg [ 80.15 KiB | Viewed 238 times ]
GPS Mount Plate.pdf.pdf [894.94 KiB]
Downloaded 315 times

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:21 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Nice work (as always) Luke.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

http://www.nvidia.com/object/sff_ion.html

I just poked around the specs of the new Nvidia Ion Pico-ITX systems. Man, they look impressive. They use the Atom CPU, but have their own Chipset - and in every way appear to crap all over the 945 chipset while being a smaller form factor if you're happy with non-legacy ports only (there's a daughter board for a shyte load of extra ports).

It's too late for me now, and they won't be out until June at the earliest (if ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_Ion), but it looks compelling.

I wonder if those chips can output at 640x480@30i like the 945 can?

Attachment:
intro1.jpg
intro1.jpg [ 8.01 KiB | Viewed 1130 times ]

Attachment:
Nvidia ION.jpg
Nvidia ION.jpg [ 17.88 KiB | Viewed 223 times ]

Attachment:
mb2.jpg
mb2.jpg [ 13.27 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

Attachment:
mb5.jpg
mb5.jpg [ 18.53 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Attachment:
vsATX.jpg
vsATX.jpg [ 71.04 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

http://www.viddler.com/explore/HotHardware/videos/54/

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
3116019398_28c8f749fa_b.jpg
3116019398_28c8f749fa_b.jpg [ 322.02 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The latest arrival in the inexorable path to completion....

Works a treat too. I only have a normal CD Reader in it at the moment. So far it has only required the single USB connection to run it. I'm eyeing off a slot-load DVD remember (Sony, Pioneer or Panasonc) but I'll hold off for now.

I also finally had a chance to plug my overlay screen in. I can confirm that it works too. So it will be time to start figuring out how to mount it soon.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
IMG_4758_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4758_WEB2.jpg [ 63.44 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XT

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Now now, stop saying stuff like that, it goes to our heads.

This has all been done before though. And there are ways to make this work better - such as with an ArcadeVGA video card - but the sacrifice is having to make it bigger.

Other types of name-brand full-size video cards also seem to work well.

But the trick here appears to be getting either S3 based VIA mini-itx systems to work (which they don't) or the Intel based systems with low-power passively cooled ATOM CPU's.

I just got back today from jaycar with all the bits i need to build a proper hsync+vsync to csync converter with polarity correction. So that'll be the next step... this step is also missing in the Fordmods ICC integration tutorial so if it works it might be something that needs to be retrofitted to the doc. I'm going to power it from the 5V and GND pins from a USB port. Wish me luck.

Lukeyson

does hsync+vsync to csync converter mean any standard vga can plugin to the icc?

Post subject: Re: Re:
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:38 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

malazn_mafia wrote:
does hsync+vsync to csync converter mean any standard vga can plugin to the icc?

Kinda, it's still gotta be able to spit out a interlaced 640x480 signal. Not all can, and most don't give you the option to do so easily, requiring customer drivers or third party software.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah, DM is right.

In the past we've just twisted the hsync and vsync lines together, but have always accepted that that was probably not the right way to do it. Doing the combiner was just one option for troubleshooting the initial connection. Now that I have it working, the hysnc+vsync combiner is just a crossed t (or a dotted i, which ever one tickles your fanncy the most) to make the solution more robust.

Just an update - I'm currently toing and froing with the Intel Field Application Engineer at our distributor Ingram Micro, trying to access an IEGD driver that works correctly with the 945GC chipset on the D945GCLF2 motherboard.

They've already thrown the 'Download the driver from here' first level response. So I got the chance to respond in detail today, how the 945GC is not supported in that version, and I'd already been there.

We'll see what happens next.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 12  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next