Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

Well my mate Pete... lol 8-)

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Hey, I think I just made another booboo.

I just remembered that the ABS light on the IC is not from the CAN Bus, but from a separate input line direct from the ABS module.

So I looked it up.

Pin 20 on the ABS module (ABS Warning Lamp, Line 991 - Orange with Black Line) connects directly to IC pin 6B. That controls whether the ABS light is on (ie, when TC is triggered in low traction conditions, or if the TC has been turned off by the button).

Brake Fail is also triggered by another input - this time on IC pin 2B. This line is triggered either by pin 21 on line 977 (EBD Warning Lamp - Violet with White Line?) on the ABS Module OR by Brake Fluid Switch OR by the Ignition Switch at Startup.

So I'd be half tempted to pull out the cluster, measure the voltages on pins 2B and 6B when the car is running (I can tell you what they should be if you want). It may be possible to shut those lights off by cutting those lines......not the best option perhaps but a possibility.

The ESM light is what exactly? The one in the top left maybe?

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

i think from memory the ESM light is about half way down the left hand side of the cluster warning lamps. (haha come to think of it, i might be ESP or something else :P)

i think there is a picture of a swerving car and the letters ESM -

maybe that BF cluster was a dud?

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Well, no - I wouldn't say there's anything secret. It's more that it's not their core business.

Ford Dealer Service Agents have everything they do set out for them by Ford. When they replace stuff they do it by VIN - so you get the exact part for your car. So they have no idea - and in many cases no desire to know - how to do custom jobs and know what bits can be made to work where.

Their focus is streamlining their tasks, doing jobs quickly and efficiently, and having a high degree of repeatability. Every diagnostic routine is written down for them to follow to isolate a faulty component and replace that component.

If it's not supported or recommended by Ford - their Vendor - then it's in their best interests not to support it themselves. If they hack around and say cluster X works with car Y - and there's a problem they have to fix under 'warranty' because they said it could be done - they can't charge the Warranty back to anyone

The intelligence for HOW things work is back at Ford - where the guys are focussed now on getting the next model designed and built. That's not the job of a Dealer Service Agent.

It's a hard place for us to be. What we need is access to Workshop tools like the WDS, NGS or IDS/PDS to do trial-and-error reverse engineering stuff - and access to bits to try like the guys at FTG get to do.

If I had access to any of those resources myself you can be certain that we'd be farming out a lot more how-to's.

Lukeyson

patience is a virtue luke! Hopefully a VCM is a reality within the next few months

Nicko

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmm. Yeah, that's the DSC light.

I have a diagram for a Territory which has DSC - and there's no hard coded pin for DSC. It seems that this one must come digitally across the CAN bus. No idea how to turn that one off I'm afraid.

The IC is probably realising it's not receiving DSC messages across the bus from the ABS/DSC module and it lights to show an error.

DSC models also have the YAW rate and SAS (steering angle sensor) that send messages on the CAN bus.

If we ever find anything out we'll let you know.

Luke

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Short of cracking open the IC and de-soldering the LED for those particular Jewel lights....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

OK after doing some work on 2 clusters I have, I need to know whether a cluster from Car X can be moved to Car Y and will it function(mainly ODO)?

Thanks

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers
ORSM Ford Cruiser's Web Site

Contact me for Cluster Programming & Window switch colour change for BA/BF Falcons & Territory.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Same year and model? Same Type? (High or Low Series). Like for like (Model, Year, Type) should be no problem. Any change in Type might require some mild changes from a Ford dealer, but should still.

Swapping clusters from BA to BF sound troublesome due to the addition of Dynamic Stability Control.

Luke

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Im playing around with the eeprom on the clusters, and trying to isolate the odo and other features inside the eeprom. Hopefully with a way to be able to turn on and off certain features like Police Mode, different fuel maps etc for people wanting to change clusters etc.

Thanks

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers

Contact me for Cluster Programming & Window switch colour change for BA/BF Falcons & Territory.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Go on, spill your guts on how much progress you've made....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Geez talk about bringing up old threads.

Progress, ODO encryption has been sorted, Speedo/Tacho Table found, I think we have discovered all selectable features.

This at the moment can be achieved via reprogramming of the eeprom, Features can be changed via ScanTool.

Im going to do some videos soon of the tool in operation.

More to follow.

Matt

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

But the holy grail would be - converting a BA XT cluster to an FPV GT-P cluster, and enabling Shift Alert......

Still somehow elusive.

Lukeyson

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I have tried to enable it on a 06 XR cluster with a full FPV EEPROM flash, and it didnt work, so I am assuming its in a newer firmware revision of the micro.

So unless we can read out and dump the micro firmware we may be out of luck.

I have a few more things to try before I give up.

Matt

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Also, back to the original topic, I too have seen how when I hook up to a car with a Ford Diagnostic tool that recognises the PCM as a BA, or that has an older Bosch 5.3 module - the ability to turn the DSC light on or off on a BF cluster is removed - which is why a Ford dealer couldn't do it!

But no fear, the DSC light can still be manually enabled or disabled using an ELM tool.

Also, if you put a BF cluster into a BA, there are some other changes required too. auMatt figured most of this bit out. The earlier ABS modules use wires for the Traction notification. The later ABS modules use CAN. So there's a setting you have to change to tell the Cluster where to get those signals from. And that may be something the Ford Dealers can't do either.

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2