Fordmods Logo

BA cluster change 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA cluster change
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2003 BA XT

WA, Australia

searched came up with sweet bugger all, where do i find info on changing a 2003 BA XT cluster to a XR6 one?

also any problems associated with such a modification.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

New Zealand

make sure you search posts not topics you should get something.
AFAIK you will need to make sure that the XR cluster is not a high series one as you will lose your trip computer (unless you have a high series icc already)

If it is a low series cluster replacing a low series cluser then you shouldnt run into any problems, the hardest thing should be removing the dash.
In saying that you may need to take it to ford after wards to get the BEM/PCM etc handshake so that everything is talking to the other.
(Can someone confirm whether his is necessary)

The other thing I am unsure about is whether the kms are reset to the kms on the new cluster or the cars kms. If the ECU stores the kmsthen you should be sweet I know for the ef/els they kept the cars kms but have heard of others not doing this, not sure if it is the BA though.
(Again can some one confirm this)

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

The cluster is very easy to remove - no need to remove the dash. Only about 4 screws to pull it out - the hardest two being behind a rubber flap just above the Steering Column. You have to drop the wheel down as far as it will go. When out there's some plugs on the back to remove and that's it.

The Clusters mind their own ODO - the value is not sent from the PCM. Road Speed and RPM are sent to the Cluster via the CAN bus, as well as fuel usage, and the Cluster calulates everything. The Cluster then sends calculated values like the ODO value in a broadcast message back on the CAN bus to other modules (Like the High Level ICC).

A 0k cluster will count up from 0k. If you want it set to your old speedo k's you need to take it to a dealer who can set it with their diagnostic tool. But this can only be done within the first 100km, otherwise a permanent non-erasble Diagnostic Trouble Code code will be set. You can change it up to 3 times under 100k but on the 4th time the same DTC will be set.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2003 BA XT

WA, Australia

sounds like a whole lotta fcukin around to me, maybe a year ago i would have done all that but now i'm gettin too old lol.

is it hard to put LED's in?

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

New Zealand

Quote:
"Lukeyson" The cluster is very easy to remove - no need to remove the dash. Only about 4 screws to pull it out - the hardest two being behind a rubber flap just above the Steering Column. You have to drop the wheel down as far as it will go. When out there's some plugs on the back to remove and that's it.

Sorry cluster is what I meant you wont need to take out the whole dash, whoops

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

It takes 2min to swap a cluster over. All you have to do then is go into ford with your old cluster, they download all the stuff off your old one and put it on your new one.

You can change the leds, but keep in mind they are smd leds so they're a lil tricky. I swapped my old ones over just for a bit of fun so if your good at soldering go for it

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

VIC, Australia

Keep us posted on the job dude, heard many different things 'bout what happens...

I'm a bit chicken s**t to try it myself, the girl has a whiney voice when she's p****d and scotch isn't cuttin' it lately!

mmmmmmmmmunchy!

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

punktured wrote:
All you have to do then is go into ford with your old cluster, they download all the stuff off your old one and put it on your new one.

What stuff is there to download, other then odo?

I want to change mine over to an fpv one at sometime down the track, I love the colour, and the fpv logo lights up :). Didn't realise it had to be a new cluster, thanks for that Lukeyson.

2003 BA Fairmont Ghia V8 www.bseries.com.au/acey xr8 catback

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ODO reading.

Fuel Table Map for Fuel Gauge (LPG/Petrol/Wagon/Sedan)

Traction Control Enabled/Disabled

Seatbelt Audible Reminder Enable/Disable

Police Mode Enable/Disable

That's about it.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

be wary though, changing from a BA cluster to a BF cluster can cause problems.

unless your BA has the electronic stability control system installed that is,

i just plugged a BF one in and the ESM light, the ABS and brake fail all came on.

i got a GT one, it looks really nice at night :P

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There are some things the IC gets from direct input (ie Fuel Level) and others that it is told via a digital interface on the CAN bus. Speed, RPM, ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) are sent from the PCM, and ABS/DSC Status from the Bosch Module. Cars with Traction Control only have a Bosch 5.3 Module, and cars with Stability Control have a Bosch 8.0 Module.

I'm told the BA/BF have different SMartshield arrangements which is the security mechanism - that's all done via CAN between the Keyfob/Remote Transceiver in the ICC, the BEM in the ICC, and the PCM. But the IC doesn't participate in Smartshield (or so I believe - some people have suggested otherwise).

HOWEVER, I would have thought that if you have a BF Cluster, you can tell it whether it has No TC, TC Only or DSC (As opposed to just TC enable-disable like I mentioned above). So it might be worthwhile visiting a Ford Dealer to see if they can set your IC to be Traction Control only....

And you know, if they can, I'd love to be able to piggy-back my ELM327 scantool into the process so I can 'sniff' the messages that they use to do this. It would make for a handy 'How To' document for Fordmods....

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ford spent around 3-4 hours trying different things to get it set right -
they updated the odo reading, set traction control off, police mode off etc, but couldnt disable the stability management feature on the BF cluster. it seems like its designed not to be disabled?

its weird, every dealer i visit and ask about cluster mods, they seem to give off the vibe for me to piss off and not to annoy them with useless questions - lol -

its like its all some big secret :roll: oooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, no - I wouldn't say there's anything secret. It's more that it's not their core business.

Ford Dealer Service Agents have everything they do set out for them by Ford. When they replace stuff they do it by VIN - so you get the exact part for your car. So they have no idea - and in many cases no desire to know - how to do custom jobs and know what bits can be made to work where.

Their focus is streamlining their tasks, doing jobs quickly and efficiently, and having a high degree of repeatability. Every diagnostic routine is written down for them to follow to isolate a faulty component and replace that component.

If it's not supported or recommended by Ford - their Vendor - then it's in their best interests not to support it themselves. If they hack around and say cluster X works with car Y - and there's a problem they have to fix under 'warranty' because they said it could be done - they can't charge the Warranty back to anyone

The intelligence for HOW things work is back at Ford - where the guys are focussed now on getting the next model designed and built. That's not the job of a Dealer Service Agent.

It's a hard place for us to be. What we need is access to Workshop tools like the WDS, NGS or IDS/PDS to do trial-and-error reverse engineering stuff - and access to bits to try like the guys at FTG get to do.

If I had access to any of those resources myself you can be certain that we'd be farming out a lot more how-to's.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well said, agree 100%

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

And here I am hoping you'd say 'Well my mate Pete works at X and would be willing to let you in'.

If I had a PM like that I'd be chomping at the bit.....!

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next