Ba ICC Help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Ba ICC Help
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hey all,

was wondering if anyone has any idears on this one:

My audio fails to Turn on when i press the volume/on/off switch after disconnection of battery

i Got the code msg started the car an then it went to a blank screen an nothing. I can get all the heater an a/c working no probs with it displayed on the screen.

i can also put in an eject cd's.

I was wondering if someone can disconnect there battery, then start there car an tell me if the audio turns straight back on automaticly or do u have to press the on/off volume button.

Also if the audio system is turned off when u insert a cd does the system automaticly turn on an start paying the cd?

I have had this happen before an tok it too one of ford service centers an they pugged wds into it an couldn't fix it but when i turn the car back on it worked but i had no clock display on the icc screen.

either the guy was a s**t or the icc is random as fuk...

any help appreciated

Soon to be the finest Sounding BA Ute

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

Lukeyson is probably the man to answer this, as he's done alot of work changing over ICCs and having codes re-entered.

My understanding is that d/c'ing the battery renders the CD player/radio inoperable until Ford enter the unlocking code (usually at no charge). However, the other A/C controls in the meantime still work.

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Nope no need to enter a code. Should be able to unplug the battery all you want, just leave the ICC for a minute or so when you plug it back in and away you go. Can you still drive the car? Does it start and lock etc?

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Yeah, disconnect the battery should be no probs. When it starts up you get the 'code' message initially until the PCM sends enough smartshield messages and then it comes good. It should either go to the normal screen or stay on the 'Security Code' message screen.

So two things.

Can you check first that the screen isn't just turned off? Push the on/off button for more than 3 seconds and tell us if the icc makes a beep noise and the screen changes, or if the screen stays the same.

Secondly, if the screen comes good, does it show a normal screen or does it show the continuous' Security Code' message?

When I do long term diags I get into the car, turn off the screen, turn off the sound system and turn off the A/C and Blower so that it doesn't suck too much power. It took a week for the missus to get back to me once and say she thought I'd fried the screen in her car. Turns out she just didn't know how to turn it back on.

When 'off' the screen does show for only a few seconds when the car is first turned on. And after a battery disconnect the 'Security Code' message always comes on, even if just briefly.

The clock on the screen in the Premo units looks as if it can be enabled or disabled using sneaky codes. I've never tried it tho. Same with the Clock Overlay when in Video display mode (Sat Nav, Reverse Cam etc). There might be some trickiness there - bu the IDS doesn't touch that, so why it is disabled is a mystery.

Is this the same ICC that came with the car, or has it been swapped out at some point?

As for loading a CD - I've got 6-stackers so have to always press the 'load' button to insert one. When inserted, yes, it plays automatically. I've not tried it on a single-cd unit.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hey, just did some more tests

When i disconnect the battery an reconnect i get code on icc at ACC.
I start the car up, the code goes away an i get the pic of the lil guy gettin air at his feet surrounded by a darker black line on the bottom an right an a lighter line on the top an left, surrounding the guy in a rectangle shape

From here i get no responce from the audio unit, only the ability to load an eject cd's.

i turn the car off an goto ACC an get no response from the icc where as i think u should be able to get radio on/off at acc.

i get lights an all other usual features while in ACC

No fuses are blown as in the 3 involving the ICC an the 1 in the audio

i beielve they are 28 , 19 ,20 an 5amp one at about 8 or sumfin can't remember.

The car runs perfect other then the fact of n audio.

I have removed the ICC before but installed correctly and working previous.

it is the same ICC as bought with the car.

it seems to enable the audio whenever there is a connection to the OBD2 connection. As thats what the ford guy done an as another auto electrician a time before that. But they didn't do anything to fix it or were unaware that they had fixed it until i drove away lol...

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That is just plain bizarre.

Having never seen this symptom before, I can't tell you at all what it could be or what is causing it.

That an OBD2 connection triggers it makes it sound like some sort of logic fault and not a physical fault, otherwise I would have been chasing connections to the audio power button.

Sometimes the connector at the back pops out of one of it's catches and is allowed to push back a little - thereby not making correct contact with the ICC. So as a straw-clutcher maybe check that the ICC connector isn't doing this?

So we didn't exchange this info before, but you actually have the low mono-screen and not the colour screen right? The 3 second power stuff was because I assumed you had a colour unit.

I could launch into some diagnostic paths from the Workshop Manual, but if it's a major fault it won't suggest replacement of internal ICC components - it will say to replace the whole ICC, which is not exaclty helpful.

If you had an ELM327 tool we could maybe trigger this ourselves, or get more info out of the unit to see if we can find anything, but I can't think of anything right now to look at to specifically isolate what the cause might be.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hey,

just done some more diagnostics, got my mate to do a scan of the audio unit, all switches work except the volume/on/off button an cd button,

the scanner recieves inputs when am/fm/loud/radio station 123456 n everything.

Fuses are all good, but yeh, im starting to think there may be a connection at the back of the power button which could be off or loose,

Has any one got ne pics of the rear of the icc, saves pulling it out to see if it acturley connects via a cable or straight to a circuit

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The dials and buttons are all soldered directly to a PCB board.

Luke

Attachments:
File comment: The front of the ICC button PCB group....
IMG_2107_WEB2.jpg
IMG_2107_WEB2.jpg [ 84.53 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]
File comment: ...and the back.
IMG_2108_WEB2.jpg
IMG_2108_WEB2.jpg [ 124.61 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

well thats not good, lol,

takin it to ford 2moro so see wot they come up with, n e way....

so u have any other idears ?

i expland to the guy at ford n he said its a first lol..

maby they can just reprogram it an could fix it

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Sounds like time for a new ICC to me :)

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

not really considering everything still works apart from the switch lol

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

just wanted to fill everyone in on the result

I took it to ford 2day an the guy pushed the button an it came on straight away, an asked me what the problem is lol...

As of last nite i could have pushed that button a thousand times to no advantage.

This is similar to wot happen last time my mate plugged the obd2 scan unit in then a day or so later i just turned it on an it was working.

But yesturday we checked the power on/off volume button for a response an got nothing....

Quite unique ...

Cheers all for input esp. lukeyson

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Seems suspicious that the CD and Power/Vol buttons intermittently don't work, and they are all in the same area.

Could there be a dry joint somewhere that's started to affect you? Sounds like some localised rail that's common to all those functions - GND or +ve or something like that.

I bought an ICC cheap off ebay and found out why later - the PCB had been snapped above the Recird/Temp Dial (You can just see the crack in those shots above). I couldn't glue-and-bridge either, I had to solder about 8 leads to the nearest available components each side of the break. The unit works fine in my lab now.

If it's an expensive unit, rather than a Ford dealer, I'd consider taking it to an electronic repair place for them to resolder some of the joints or look for hairline cracks around those dial or switches.

But if it's a mono screen with single CD, it might be cheaper just to get a $100 2nd hand ICC off eBay, or think about buying a Premium Colour unit with 6 stacker as an upgrade. That'll go right in!

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:23 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

its only when the batt gets disconnect tho apart from that it works endlessly...

who noes its quite weird but i think im goin to sell my ba soon not sure but yeh, cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]