Fordmods Logo

BA - ICC Reverse Camera Project 

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I've been in to DSE to get my various sundries, and have been spending time drawing up my wiring layout and how to best route the harness.

I was caught-out by the Mute line on the Audio in - I though it was a 12V trigger, and had my harness lined up to do that, but now I have to convert my 12V trigger to drag the mute line to ground. No big deal, it'll just take a little custom circuit to do the switching. For the moment I might get started without it and just allow for it in the harness, and get to it later.

I've also started investigating how best to get in behind the rear bumper to mount the camera. So I'll be able to make the call soon as to whether I stick to my guns and get that camera listed above, or heed the advice of others and opt out of that unit for a smaller one.

But I am committed to getting the camera down low - having the caravan/boat hitch in view of the camera as I reverse was one of my initial goals.

I'll post pics of the wiring diagram and bits I have purchased + part numbers in the next few days.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XTS, BF Xr6 Turbo Ute

QLD, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Ok so your hooking up a reversing camera and using hte BA ICC screen? SOunds like a funky project.

I got my new TV the other day, with dual RCA. My goal is to run the DVD off one RCA input/output ports and a rversing camera I got off Ebay, same guy, off hte seocnd set of ports.

Cant wait to see it using the ICC screen though.

sounds like a new territory . . . . hahahaha . . . . i like the idea though ! let us know how it goes !

Ford Fan: Since 1987 - Born a Blue Oval Supporter!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

this camera could have been usefull
www.Jaycar.com.au link
there is a ccd version also

Nicko

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Bloody hell! That's twice the price!

And I'd have to do some major repairs at the rear to fix the damage. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

I won't discard it out of hand, but I can't even tell if it reverses the image or not ..... and no night time ability?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

very good point!
but thats what you have reverse lights for!

Nicko

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

TAS, Australia

This would be good as a tech doco if that hasnt already been suggested.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It may well turn into that.

But it will need to be completed before that can happen, and after christenings and weddings and all sorts of domestic and vocational interference, I'll finally be able to start assembling the harness this weekend. So the wiring diagrams should start going up soon, in addition to any other pictures I start collecting showing what I've done/am doing.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, the wiring harness around the Converter was started today. The idea is to be able to remove items individually, so I'm soldering in connectors everywhere to let this happen. Converter, Power Filter, daisy-chaining the Mobile Phone power, lines to the remote camera/reverse light etc.

The wiring diagram is even now evolving just a little to finish things off (and I noticed an error today that I need to fix.). It's been done in Visio and I need to pull out the notebook to convert it to pdf for uploading - which will be pulled just as soon as the finger blocking it's path has been pulled out too....

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, as promised, my 'maybe over the top' wiring diagram, there are still a few mistakes which I'll fix over time.

I have the Converter and Power Filter now terminated with the correct plugs. I'll take pics and upload given time.

I'll be ordering the original camera I was interested in (despite protestations from 'those with opinions') shortley. The next two steps will be to make up a bracket for the switches in the centre console, and to finally decide on a location for the Power Filter, as that will obviously have an impact on the wiring harness I have yet to make up.

<edit: Modified Diagram 17/3/2006 to add connector at console so harness to the boot does not need to be continuous right up to under the dahsboard.>

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: PDF of Wiring Diagram - 2 poages, one with Plugs/colours/pinouts, the other with Cable Runs and Bill of Materials.
ICC Reverse Camera Wiring Diagram.pdf [37.97 KiB]
Downloaded 643 times

Last edited by Lukeyson on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, I've taken some snaps of my newly plugged-up Converter and Power filter.

Attachments:
File comment: Carconverters #236 now with connectors and 'velcro hook strips' on the bottom for bonding to the carpet. I was originally looking to do this on the Passengers side, but I may now put this on the drivers side and leave a bit more room under the passenger s
100_0877.jpg
100_0877.jpg [ 114.97 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]
File comment: Aerpro AP300 Power Filter with connector.
100_0876.jpg
100_0876.jpg [ 100.58 KiB | Viewed 199 times ]

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:47 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Mate IM gettingf autobarn to fit mine into ny car next week sometime. Will post photos up.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Mate IM gettingf autobarn to fit mine into ny car next week sometime. Will post photos up.

Oi what kind of car you have now? 97 SFX Coupe :?

EDIT: Argh, you got rid of a Falcon on gas for a fugly Hyundai. :cry:

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
twirqurky wrote:

Oi what kind of car you have now? 97 SFX Coupe :?

EDIT: Argh, you got rid of a Falcon on gas for a fugly Hyundai. :cry:

Yep I did.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, order was placed for Camera yesterday and paid for, so now to sit tight and wait for it to arrive. No turning back now I guess.

I popped into Jaycar and picked up a little Stereo Preamp from their 'Short Circuits' kits, as well as some bits to complete the unit. This is the only 12V Stereo pre-amp I could find. This should help me fix the low-level input problem in Audio AUX connector I get when I use it with an iPod. (The factory pre-amp costs something like $160!). Most of the other units were either mono-only, or needed +/1 15V. Kit was only $7, I needed the $3 assembly notes because I need to drop the gain down quite a lot from normal pre-amp levels, and the box and plugs were less than $1 each.

I've now figured out how I'm going to mount the 3 x switches in the console box and have it look half decent (Switches do Manual Reverse Video Select, Converter on/off and Overlay On/Off), so I'll take a stab at that over the weekend. I needed the 12V Zeners in the diagram so an attempt to turn on the revese CAM manually won't also turn on the reverse lights.....

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just received the Camera. Bloody heavy solid feeling thing. Pics of this are already up, I couldn't show you anything extra.

Comes with a gromit on the cables on the back so I can feed it into the car and have the connectors out of the weather. Also comes with a single-end-terminated Power Cable so I don't need to go out and try to find the right type of connector.

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next