BA - ICC Reverse Camera Project 

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Reindeer

NSW, Australia

bassel wrote:
Hi there,
Could you please send info about the location of the ICC connector and the AUX input connector and a list of the component, wires and connectors used.

Cheers

search is your friend..... i have done plenty of threads on it.

Its people like you that make people that kill other people, sleep easier at night.

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

The part number of the Aerpro connector that you can get from Supercheap Auto for about $20 is listed right up in the first post on this thread.

The connector iin the car s almost directly under the volume control (on a standard icc). You have to do some work to get to it.

(1) Lift up your auto/manual trans lever surround (It just puils out)
(2) Remove one screw on either side, and pull the console 'winglets' away.
(3) Remove the tissue-box and tissue-box holder. be careful if you have an AUX connector, it will be screwed to the bottom of this. The 12V power socket cable should have length, but the AUX cable might not (mine didn't)
(4) The ICC connector is rearward-facing on the upper-right of the where the tissue-box holder was removed. The Aerpro connector slots right in. Some others have had problems getting the sockets to fit completely, but i had no such problem.

There's an ICC Connector Wiring Diagram in the 'Technical Documents' for the BA on this website.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, my little boy is now back from getting a new engine fitted under warranty - successfully retoring my faith in the brand. So now to keep going.

Anyway, I've been doing research on how to get the rear bumper off. With 2 weeks off coming up I might get stuck into it. So we're now getting into Phase 2. We've entertained the idea of the camera on the roof. The missus likes the idea. It's not committed in stone yet, but it may still happen.

In the meantime I have been working on another component of the project (Phase 3), and here beginneth the bits-list:

(1) Retired HP Vectra C-10 E-PC. It has a notebook-style external power supply, so a quick trip to KMart saw me fixed up with a $50 notepbook auto PS to drive it. The system is a PIII 866 with 256M Ram and a 120GB Disk. It still needs a slimline DVD-Rom. Price and support for a DVD sees me now preferring this over a VoomPC case witha via motherboard, although since it has an old graphics card without DX9 support it means Windows MCE is now out of the question. At this stage I plan to kit it up as follows:

(a) Windows XP SP2
(b) Media Portal software (MP3 and Movies/DVD)
(c) Media Centre Remote (USB)
(c) VGA to TV Converter (Powered by PS2 port)
(d) A Garmin GPS 18 (USB or Serial - prob USB as OBD2 Scantool needs Serial)
(e) OziExplorer GPS Software
(f) UBD City Streets
(g) Software for Scantool (not tested yet)
(h) ELM327 based OBD2 to RS232 unit (About $110USD from www.obd2allineone.com)

So far I have paid zilch for the HP Vectra (although I see them on eBay for as low as $40AUD), $52 for VGA to TV converter from eBay ($100 from Jaycar) and $50 for Auto Notebook PSupply. The GPS is $179, Ozi is $130, UBD is $69 all from
www.gpsoz.com.au, and I already have the scantool as well.

So with any luck the media and OBD2 components will be up and running in the next few weeks.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Eeeww. First pass at CarPC was not very pleasant.

(1) Poor image quality. Could be that I used different power-pickups for carpc and converter. $50 KMart DC-DC converter might also be noisy. Or el-cheap $50 vga to tv converter may also be crap. Will test one by one.

(2) Poor sound quality. Probably from one of the above.

(3) No Video! Let me clarify - when driving media portal I get the menus OK, but when I play the video, it blacks out! What's that all about! Maybe it's some wierd directx overlay problem. More testing required.

If it's power, I may have to start invesigating the smart Car Power Supply and www.mini-box.com. I will also have a go at wiring up the supply to my power filter (rather than through the cigarette lighter!)

If it's the vga to tv converter then I'll have to reconsider my original VoomPC plan with a real TV Out.

Blerk....

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

No good lukey!
im sure you can get it done
Xyphoid had his going on his dads ba ghia with colour icc as you see in the doco section!

Nicko

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Eeeww. First pass at CarPC was not very pleasant.

(1) Poor image quality. Could be that I used different power-pickups for carpc and converter. $50 KMart DC-DC converter might also be noisy. Or el-cheap $50 vga to tv converter may also be crap. Will test one by one.
the icc screan is a vga screen, yoy can plug a computer straight into it without any converters, you may be convertong the signal too many times, that creates noise.

Lukeyson wrote:
(2) Poor sound quality. Probably from one of the above.

check your connections, i dont see how it would be related?

Lukeyson wrote:
(3) No Video! Let me clarify - when driving media portal I get the menus OK, but when I play the video, it blacks out! What's that all about! Maybe it's some wierd directx overlay problem. More testing required.

could be your refresher rate or your resolution is not right.

Lukeyson wrote:
If it's power, I may have to start invesigating the smart Car Power Supply and www.mini-box.com. I will also have a go at wiring up the supply to my power filter (rather than through the cigarette lighter!).

power is not an issue, i have a lot of stuff ysing the power outlet, not a worry at all

Its people like you that make people that kill other people, sleep easier at night.

Post subject: Bypass Navigation system ICC display
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Just wondering if there's someone has an idea how to bypass the Navigation system to use the ICC for Rearview Camera and dvd player

Post subject: Re: Bypass Navigation system ICC display
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bassel wrote:
Just wondering if there's someone has an idea how to bypass the Navigation system to use the ICC for Rearview Camera and dvd player

Can be done, just talk to the guy on ebay who sells the intergration kits he has a cable that can get around it.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

bassel wrote:

The guy on eBay resells the same converter that I used. The converter has an RGB in as well as as an RGB out. I am only using the Composite-In at the moment to convert from Composite to RGB.

However, with the RGB input, you can put the converter into a 'pass-through' mode, which means you can pass the Sat-NAV into it and revert back to sat-nav operation. You just need to intercept the sat-nav at the ICC connector and pass it to your Converter rather than direct to the ICC, and let the Converter control your ICC display.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

In response to some of your comments RJ:

(1) The ICC is not strictly VGA. It has RGB I'll grant, but since it relies on NTSC frequencies, there aren't too many video cards that can clock down that low. Besides, I found it near impossible to get an RGB Reverse Camera.....

(2) I don't see either. My current theory is possible 'ground looping'. When i get a chance to do more diagnosis I'll post my results.

(3) Well, I'm not sure why normal video (menus and stuff) work OK, but as soon as any sort video footage goes on it stops working. Even when it's just a preview in the bottom left corner. It could be the cheap video converter itself. It seems unlikely to me that the frequency would change for just a little 'PIP' window. But you could, nevertheless, still be right.

(4) Sorry, I need to clarify. I meant the little $50 DC-DC converter may be introducing noise OR because I am sourcing power from two separate locations there might be loops or other noise in the system coming through. I have to convert from 12V DC up to 19V DC (like a Notebook PS) to get this unit to work. The Intelligent Car PSU I listed runs from 12-14V direct, and plugs direct to the MoBo - with intelligent startup and shutdown added by using GND, Bat and Ign lines to make power up/down decisions. So I'd eliminate the need for the DC-DC conversion.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
bassel wrote:

The guy on eBay resells the same converter that I used. The converter has an RGB in as well as as an RGB out. I am only using the Composite-In at the moment to convert from Composite to RGB.

However, with the RGB input, you can put the converter into a 'pass-through' mode, which means you can pass the Sat-NAV into it and revert back to sat-nav operation. You just need to intercept the sat-nav at the ICC connector and pass it to your Converter rather than direct to the ICC, and let the Converter control your ICC display.

Lukeyson

Hi there,
I already bought the converter(00236). it has 2 video inputs and 1 RGB output, there's no such an RGB input??? or do I have to do some work to solder an input rgb

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That's the one.

You best have a quick read of the small instruction sheet that came with it. The DB9 pin connector that comes with a single-terminated cable is where the RGB input and output both pass.

The company that designed and sells that unit is here in Newcastle, and I chatted to one of the owners of the business about it when I bought it. He warned me that I might expect cross-talk between the cables if I carried the signals all in the same shielding as it comes supplied. He advised splitting it out into two separate shielded runs as close to the DB9 end as possible.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey, maybe I answered my own question. Maybe if i can find a way to clock the Intel 810e graphic chipset to NTSC frequencies, I can use the 'RGB' passthrough to try and drive the screen.

Nice one Bassel.

Lukeyson

Post subject: Sat-Nav Bypass
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I have finished the work in my fairlane BA, 2 * 9" headrest, 6 disc DVD changer (MP3PLAYERSTORE.COM), Digital tv tuner, Reverse Camera + the #236 Video to rgb converter...

I've got a problem with the converter,..
when 50HZ frequency selected the SAT-Nav works fine on the ICC screen but the DVD input will be rolling fast...

but when 60HZ selected >> The dvd input will be perfect But the Sat-Nav will be pulsing ....
Had a disscusion with a technician from Car Converters they said it could be the converter faulty... I got the replacment converter on friday .. reconnect the new converter the same result!!!

Any suggestions???

Cheers

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nope, and I've been lazy in the cold weather too.

Haven't given up, just taking a bit of a break. That and my weekends have just been nuts for awhile.

Get back to you shortly with some progress.....

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next