Fordmods Logo

BA - MCC to ACC Conversion 

Page 9 of 17 [ 246 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:46 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

lol if u pay my airfairs il lcome pull the dash out for you in an hour.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Now where's the fun in having someone else do it for me?

I do have a request though. I'm looking for the Microcat descriptions (and any other pertinent info) for the following part numbers:

BF2-15000-B1 (Dash Clock) and
BF2-14K024-A (Dash Harness)

I'm going to double this up in a separate topic too (I'm in a bit of a hurry to get the clock one in particular)

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA GT

QLD, Australia

Hey Lukey, have you resolved the BA-BF dashboard harness issue that you raised on 6Aug yet? I was about to install a new dash harness in my GT (for sat-nav) when I read your post on the differences you found - my harness had a BF- prefix. I visited my local dealer this morning and confirmed the part numbers - my new harness is a BF-14K024-A, which is applicable to all sedans with sat-nav from 9/03 to 8/05 (all BA's).

I heard that there was an issue with early BA harnesses with sat-nav as there was no amplifier fitted, so that must have been the BA- suffix, which we couldn't find listed, so the BA- one must have been superceded by the BF- one. The harness for BF's (9/05 on) is prefixed BF2-. All very deep...

What is the part number for the harness you are playing with?

GT 0909 - 2004 BA MkI GT - Citric Acid with Stripes, Sunroof, Reversing Sensors, Premium Sound, FPV Steering Wheel & Mats.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ahh. I didn't follow that up here did I. Last question first, the part number is in the post just above yours.

In the 'Scantool Fun' thread i had found C-336 quite awhile ago while trying to map out all the connectors on the SY Territory Loom. I didn't map the C-336 I found way back then with the C-336 I found in the BF Manual on Aug 6th until a few days after I did that post. Silly me followed up in the wrong thread.

The answer is - don't worry. The C-336 connector has a 'socket' that fits into it, and it ships with the loom. In the SY, it was midway along the drivers section of the dash harness, just to the left of the branches for the Cluster, Mulifunction Switch and Clockspring (Horn, Cruise, Stereo etc).

So it's all good.

HOWEVER, the loom that I have doesn't actually have that C-336 connector in the same spot, and a good look over the harness didn't reveal any new location.

This afternoon, while watching what looks like will be a Holden Whitewash in Oran Park Race 1, I plan to see if the Foggies AND Corner Lamps are in my loom, if I have SAS/YAW connectors, and to see if I can find any other gotchas.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Oh, and I did my Multifunction Switch today. All done and working. I'll post pics shortly.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA GT

QLD, Australia

Okay mate, thanks for the update. When I raised the question, I hadn't made it down to the post where you listed the part number of your harness. Eases that worry for me. Spent a fair bit of time trying to locate the SAS and YAW connectors on the new one I have here. Now I know why I had trouble :lol:

I'm in the process of doing what you are doing, but also adding the sat-nav as well. Originally, I was staying with my existing dash harness until a RH body harness with sat-nav came my way and, well, what was I to do but want to install that as well. So, out with the old and in with the new. Should have no probs selling the old dash harness, being as it is for premium sound.

Keep up the good work. Have been following this for some time now...

GT 0909 - 2004 BA MkI GT - Citric Acid with Stripes, Sunroof, Reversing Sensors, Premium Sound, FPV Steering Wheel & Mats.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So I've disassembled the Steering Column to fit the new Multifunction Switch. I hit some problems pulling the steering wheel due to the cheap-a*** Wheel Puller I bought, but got my way out of the hole...

All in all, successful and interesting in that I was curious about how hard it would all be. It all turned out OK.

<edit> Noticed I left a bit out.

To disable the BA Car Alarm:

(1) Put key in the ignition, and turn to the key to the ignition position for more than 2 seconds

(2) Turn the key back off, and after 1 second, but before 3 seconds, remove the + terminal on the battery. You'll want to (a) make sure the +ve terminal is loose before doing all this and (b) Put on a set of earmuffs in case you mistime it. I learned the hard way.....

NOTE: The Battery must also be disconnected so that you can work on the airbags. The WS Manual says take off the -ve terminal, so I played it safe, and just disconnected the battery altogether. They also insist on waiting a minute after the battery has been disconnected to make sure any stored power has been discharged.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: The airbag now pulls free quite easy. Squeeze airbag connectors and pull away.
IMG_1428_WEB.jpg
IMG_1428_WEB.jpg [ 29.97 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]

Last edited by Lukeyson on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

More disassembly.

Attachments:
File comment: Cheap a*** wheel puller kit from Supercheap Auto. It did the job in the end, but threads on wheel are crap.
IMG_1433_WEB.jpg
IMG_1433_WEB.jpg [ 32.16 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]
File comment: Torx T50 Screw to undo wheel. Take key out, turn till wheel locks.
IMG_1434_WEB.jpg
IMG_1434_WEB.jpg [ 24.95 KiB | Viewed 248 times ]
File comment: Steering Wheel Puller to get the wheel out. Threaded holes are easily stripped......
IMG_1435_WEB.jpg
IMG_1435_WEB.jpg [ 53.51 KiB | Viewed 243 times ]
File comment: Clockspring just pops out now. Some clips may need special attention to let go....
IMG_1438_WEB.jpg
IMG_1438_WEB.jpg [ 29.65 KiB | Viewed 238 times ]

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Some special-interest shots.

Taking the Multifunction connector from the bottom of the Steering Column was quite tricky, and required a small screwdriver to lift the tag. This was from the top-left of the plug shown here, and was done via brail. Once the clip was lifted, the plug pulled free easily. But it took a bit...

Attachments:
File comment: The old and new Multifunction Switch indicator stalk. This is all for the AUTO option that ties to Climate Control. Sheesh!
IMG_1424_WEB.jpg
IMG_1424_WEB.jpg [ 24.81 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]
File comment: The old and new Multifunction Switch connectors.
IMG_1425_WEB.jpg
IMG_1425_WEB.jpg [ 27.61 KiB | Viewed 219 times ]
File comment: Tongue under column for mounting Multifunction Connector Plug. Note square in middle.
IMG_1440_WEB.jpg
IMG_1440_WEB.jpg [ 23.3 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]
File comment: The top of the Switch Connector. The metal tab slides from the top, and clip catches the 'square'
IMG_1441_WEB.jpg
IMG_1441_WEB.jpg [ 18.19 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:40 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

a quarion for left field. how much 'space' to you estimate to be free behind the column covers in front (steering wheel side) of the multi function switches.

I'm planning a project and need some space back there.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Grab one of the pics, do some Photoshopping or MSPainting with arrows, and show me which area you mean?

There's not much. The 'Clockspring' clips over the multi function switch. There was about 10mm tops between the clockspring and the back of the wheel - enough for me to wedge a small nut in there for the wheel puller to thread into since I strippped the thread in the wheel.

Wuithout the clockspring (or you own clockspring if you're keen) there's be much more room.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So far:

(a) Both the Fog Switch and the Turning Lamp pins on the connector behind the drivers kick panel are present. Looking good. The part number for my harness says that it has 'cornering lights' and I needed to be certain that this didn't mean 'without foglights'.

(b) There are no SAS or YAW connectors on this loom, so no C-336. Interesting. There must be another loom with full Sat-NAV and additional support for DSC.

(c) Car Alarm - yet to be done, trotting off to check it now after the install-manual finishes printing....

Lukeyson

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
a quarion for left field. how much 'space' to you estimate to be free behind the column covers in front (steering wheel side) of the multi function switches.

I'm planning a project and need some space back there.

Re-read your question and thought that these two pics might help.

Attachments:
File comment: The Wheel, the Clockspring and the Multifunction Switch are pretty tightly packed...
IMG_1422_WEB.jpg
IMG_1422_WEB.jpg [ 103.91 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]
File comment: Looking down - gaps left and right of the shrouds.
IMG_1421_WEB.jpg
IMG_1421_WEB.jpg [ 103.31 KiB | Viewed 262 times ]

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:20 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Bingo, that's what I'm after. Looks tight back there. Hopefully I can make do.

Or I'll have to figure out how to multiplex it over the existing clockspring wiring. I'm not using the stereo controls.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
(c) Car Alarm - yet to be done, trotting off to check it now after the install-manual finishes printing....

There are two pins wired into the BEM, and Power/Ignition/GND wired into the back of the fuse box.

I spliced and soldered in a new 'plug' in the back of the fuse box on the harness that is going in, and will re-terminate the alarm end when I pull the old one out.

But I'm buggered if I can figure out how to get those tow pins out of connectors J1 and J2 in the BEM plugs C-173. Can anyone shed some light on the wierd 'double locking' connectors I'm supposed to be able to unclip witha screwdriver?

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 17  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next