Fordmods Logo

BA to BF Fairlane Interior Conversion Project 

Page 8 of 12 [ 169 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Oh, and I found out why my carpet was wet near the back-left mount of the passenger seat....

Lukeyson

Attachments:
IMG_3740_WEB_Wet_Carpet_1.jpg
IMG_3740_WEB_Wet_Carpet_1.jpg [ 36.82 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]
IMG_3743_WEB_Wet_Carpet_2.jpg
IMG_3743_WEB_Wet_Carpet_2.jpg [ 30.66 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:41 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Nice hole?

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

And just for the fun of it, this shows my car just after the main frenzy undergoing it's first systems check without seats. This was where I discovered my brake lights not working, and first discovered the bootlight issue.

You can see the soldering station on the drivers side where I had to make up some bits to get it towork.

The carpet never came out, but was either flipped left or right for the main loom work, or flipped forward for the cross-loom work. You can see the little-white plug popping out of the carpet at the top of the driveshaft tunnel - this is the 6-pin connector that does the rear footwell lights. I ended up cutting that off and swapping for a std 2-pin plug to mate with my current light connector.

The big coils of blue,black and green wire were just used for my failed attempts at feeding lines up the sides of the dash.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
IMG_3761_WEB2_Systems_Check_After_Frenzy.jpg
IMG_3761_WEB2_Systems_Check_After_Frenzy.jpg [ 119.06 KiB | Viewed 232 times ]

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Looks like you raided my garage, you've got my extension cord, soldering station, and CCFL work light.

:)

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Momentary panic attack. But it turns out the BA and BF TAS operation is the same.

To explain.

On a whim I bought a BF PCM, and started mapping out pins between them. Of itself, that's a bit of an eye opener, seeing how many differences there really are. Enough of a difference to make it look like it wouldn't be an easy task to swap a BF PCM into a BA without also changing a whole heap of looms - especially for 4A cars, where the pins for controlling the solenoids have all completely moved from EEC-B/C-301 to EEC-C/C-302. There are other differences as well, but that would be another topic.

Of interest, though, is a single hardwired line between the PCM and the Restraint module called the TAS line - Travel Assistance Signal.

The workshop manual describes the operation of the BA TAS line as thus:

'The TAS signal consists of two distinct frequencies, one for normal conditions and a higher frequency for impact event notification. The PCM recieves a continuous 12 Volt square wave signal on pin B6 while the ignition is on, from the Restraint Control Module, RCM. During a non impact phase, the frequency read by the PCM is 0.8Hz. In the event of an impact that is registered by the RCM , the RCM changes the frequency of the TAS signal to 5Hz for 5 cycles only. The PCM detects the change in frequency of the TAS signal and places on the CAN bus in message 427, bit 6, where circumstances allow it, a message to the BEM that the RCM has registered an impact and that the doors should be unlocked.

'If the TAS signal is not within the normal operating frequency range or not present at all, the PCM sets a DTC in memory for retrieval during self test mode. The TAS is tested continuously during vehicle operation.

'DTC P1534 - TAS signal outside of allowable frequency range or not present

Thankfully a review of the BF Manual shows the same TAS frequencies, and the same pin on the RCM.

The airbags still haven't been stopped, and I'm still in favour of the BF RCM going in, but it looked for a moment like there might be a possible show stopper for the BF option.....

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

if you put a bf pcm in, i think you would need to change abs pump, steering column, lock set, bem and cluster

Nicko

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, the BA PCM drives 2 x VREF power sources into the Pedal Position Sensor box (stay with me here...). But the BF only has one, and the 2nd PPS power is instead driven from the power that feeds the PRNDL TRS-A2 Tiptronic sender - which would be a CAN module in the BF.

The BF instead uses those pins for the PCM to sense the output of the Alternator, and a 3rd pin is connected to the IC to show whether the Alternator is OK.

On the BA, the Alternator sensor is connected directly to the IC. So a BA PCM might not know that the alternator has failed! That's bizarre.

So whether this change in alternator sensing operation needs a different IC or not I don't know, since the IC uses the same input pin to drive the light on BA or BF. This does imply a loom change though if you want to retain the Alternator display on your IC.

But as for your Smartshield concerns - I have a scan here which shows a BF XR6T with a BA BEM part number. That means to me that Smartshield hasn't changed between the BA and BF since the major participants in Smartshield are the PCM and the BEM. So the next question is whether the TILA and RKR are the same with just a change of the lock barrell.

However, I've got a lot of data, and another BF I have scanned has a different BEM part number. I'll have to get that BF XR6T back again and rescan it because I have room to doubt myself that I recorded that correctly.

Luke

Last edited by Lukeyson on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Steering column needs to be changed to fit bf locks.

trust me, i have a complete bf lock set and the barrel operates differently to turn the ignition switch

Nicko

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

bf i have been told went to g7 immobilisation which is the same as focus/mondego.

But upon looking thru some ford documentation - i cannot confirm!

Nicko

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Yep, and here are the guilty perpetrators of the missing-clutch-switch DTC.....

Lukeyson

I went through the same sort of thing when I did my column shift auto to floor shift auto conversion...had to buy a floor shift auto harness from the left and right "B" pillars forward to get the correct wiring and connectors for the shifter and transfer missing pins/wires into my ute connectors. The rest of the wiring from the bottom of the "A" pillars forward was already in place thank goodness.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, parking sensors.

Does anybody have a car with parking sensors? I need accurate measurements from the centre of each sensor to:

(1) The centre of the next sensor, left and right (horizontal spacing)
(2) The centre of the vanity strip the runs across the bumper. (Mine has a 3M chrome strip filling the gap) (Vertical Spacing)
(3) The centre of the car. (Horizontal Positioning)

I can get access to a BF with sensors if needed, but thought I'd ask first.

If anybody has ever purchased the dealer-fit sensor kit, would you be able to scan in the instructions? I'd be guessing the measurements should be in there...

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the sensors themselves too if you're interested.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

i can do measurements on a bf on the 27th. bf2 with factory fiit. or i can measure up a BA Lane on saturday but i doubt the measuerments will be that of a falcon

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:37 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

I thought the inside of the bumper had markings ready to go?

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Do they? Since I've never had it off, I've never had a look. That would be pretty useful. I think I'll still grab measurements so I'm not pulling it off twice.

And yes, a SWB is what I'm after the measurements for.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:15 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

I'm not 100% on that. Can't find any reference to it in the manual either, but I'm sure I've heard it mentioned.

Either that, or there's a template Ford guys use.

Can't expect them to have to measure up each bar.

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 12  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next