Fordmods Logo

BA to BF Fairlane Interior Conversion Project 

Page 2 of 12 [ 169 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I mentioned I'd talk about the PROG_ID. Apologies if I don't make sense, I've hooked into a few James Squire Golden Ales and topped it off with an Erdinger Pikantus. I'm currenlty a Googly boy.

When you do a query of PID 5942 on the RCM you get a different value depending on the configuration of the RCM in question. The values are:

0=NNN, Vehicle ID #1 = Ignition, #2 = Ground, #3 = No Connect
1=GNN, Vehicle ID #1 = Ground, #2 = No Connect, #3 = No Connect
2=INN, Vehicle ID #1 = Ignition, #2 = No Connect, #3 = No Connect
4=NGN, Vehicle ID #1 = No Connect, #2 = Ground, #3 = No Connect
5=GGN, Vehicle ID #1 = Ground, #2 = Ground, #3 = No Connect
6=IGN, Vehicle ID #1 = Ignition, #2 = Ground, #3 = No Connect
16=NIN, Vehicle ID #1 = No Connect, #2 = Ignition, #3 = No Connect
17=GIN, Vehicle ID #1 = Ground, #2 = Ignition, #3 = No Connect
18=IIN, Vehicle ID #1 = Ignition, #2 = Ignition, #3 = No Connect"

I've seen the following:

BAXR8 - no side airbags: GNN
SXTG - curtain airbags: IIN
SYTX - no curtain airbags (I think - I'll ask again): IIN
BFSR - side airbags: IGN

2 of these 3 pins are used. Pins 20 and 21 on connector 189b are the first two if these, The 3rd is always not connected (N). As you can see, this is a hard-wired setting provided by the Loom. This means that the RCM is dependent on the Loom installed in the car!

Knowing this means there is obvisouly an easy way to circumvent the configuration by rewiring the loom accordingly. I don't know if anyone has struggled with getting different modules to work with incompatible wiring harnesses. But I can see how it could happen.

I certainly haven't seen this written up anywhere else.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

linz wrote:
Hey Lukeyson, where are you getting your parts from as I'm after a couple of exterior body mouldings from a BA Fairlane...the left and right mouldings that attach to the rear dogleg section between the back doors and the rear wheelarch....cheers Linz.

So are the bit's you're looking for in this image?

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: Ba Fairlane
BA_Fairlane_Side.jpg
BA_Fairlane_Side.jpg [ 70.39 KiB | Viewed 215 times ]

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

Hey Lukeyson, thanks for the reply (and with a picture, too!)....yes, the side colour coded door mouldings (the ones that are normally black in the base models-XT/XL ute etc.) The mouldings that I need are the short ones that are behind the rear door and in front of the rear wheel arch (left and right sides). They MUST be from a BA Fairlane or G220 with the same flat moulding profile as the BA sedan/wagon type ( the BF Fairlane uses a different profile moulding with a chrome strip incorporated).....cheers Linz.

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Dude,
Where do you get the time to do these mods!? top marks for effort and originality.

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I am looking for someone else that has replaced side looms before.

I currently have a query about how the cabling runs from the side looms under the carpet between the B Pillars, and to the centre console for the handbrake, gearchange and rear footwell lighting.

My main question is of accessibility. Do I have to lift carpets up to get to these cabling runs, or do they route via some sort of protected channel somewhere?

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:

I currently have a query about how the cabling runs from the side looms under the carpet between the B Pillars, and to the centre console for the handbrake, gearchange and rear footwell lighting.

My main question is of accessibility. Do I have to lift carpets up to get to these cabling runs, or do they route via some sort of protected channel somewhere?

Lukeyson
Hey Lukeyson, when I did my column shift auto to floor shift auto conversion on my BA XL ute a few years ago, I bought a sedan harness that runs between left side A pillar to left side B pillar, across the floor via the floor shift wiring plug, and over to the right side B pillar and then forward to the right side A pillar. I had to remove the wires that I needed from the plugs/harness and tape up a new separate harness and fit the new wires into the spare holes in my existing plugs at the base of the left and right A pillars to get the floor shift operating correctly. The harness that runs from left to right B pillars and up to the shifter/handbrake sits on top of the floor and underneath the carpet so all I had to do (being a ute) was to lift the rear section of the carpet and feed my new separate harness in from the back edge of the carpet. There is no channel (in the ute or XT sedan anyway) that the harness runs through...so as long as you are able to lift your carpet up a little to feed you wiring through (after removing seats, centre console and scuff plates), you should be able to do it ok (that is, if you're fitting a separate harness like I had to)....cheers Linz. PS....did you see what I meant about the side mouldings for the Fairlane?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

im pretty sure carpet needs to come up luke!

Nicko

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, gearing up for that.

Is the carpet bonded or fastened to the floor in anyway, or does it pull up easily?

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

linz wrote:
PS....did you see what I meant about the side mouldings for the Fairlane?

Yep, sure did. Did you see my response a bit before that where I said I usually buy parts from FTG? Consider buying new parts through them as well. They treat Fordmods members well.

I'm buying bits out of a BF Fairlane from FTG at the moment, but I don't think they have any BA Fairlanes.

A lot of wreckers in this area (Newcastle) point me to either FTG or Casula for hard to find parts. Some of the other wreckers who advertise on eBay might also be worthy of calling for that part.

Also, I have tried once in a while with www.findapart.com.au. The only thing that worked with them was when someone sold me a Fairmont Chrome Boot strip. Other times I get barely a response at all.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:

Lukeyson

out with the carpet sorry Luke, and remember uless you cut the carpet at the front you will need to pull the dash out first.
we done a sat nav conversion into the cobra over easter and i had to remove the full trim including carpet.

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
linz wrote:
PS....did you see what I meant about the side mouldings for the Fairlane?

Yep, sure did. Did you see my response a bit before that where I said I usually buy parts from FTG? Consider buying new parts through them as well. They treat Fordmods members well.

I'm buying bits out of a BF Fairlane from FTG at the moment, but I don't think they have any BA Fairlanes.

A lot of wreckers in this area (Newcastle) point me to either FTG or Casula for hard to find parts. Some of the other wreckers who advertise on eBay might also be worthy of calling for that part.

Also, I have tried once in a while with www.findapart.com.au. The only thing that worked with them was when someone sold me a Fairmont Chrome Boot strip. Other times I get barely a response at all.

Lukeyson
I've used findapart as well for a couple of things but the side moulds seem to be a bit hard to find. I might try Darren again, it's been a while since I last asked him, but then they're only worth $40 each brand new so I may have to do that. Are you replacing the whole floor wiring harness or are you making one up to suit some extra goodies? The reason I ask is that with my floor shift conversion, all I had to do was feed the new (floor shift only) harness through from one side and pull it through to the other using a long narrow plastic strip that sparkies use for chasing wiring inside wall cavities. I've also removed the carpet from a BA sedan without removing the dash by cutting the carpet up under the front of the centre console and then trimmed it to size/length and refitted it to my BA XL ute...fitted perfectly with no gaps and once the console was refitted, it looked factory fitted...you couldn't even see where it was cut....cheers Linz.

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
out with the carpet sorry Luke, and remember uless you cut the carpet at the front you will need to pull the dash out first.
we done a sat nav conversion into the cobra over easter and i had to remove the full trim including carpet.

I was wondering if you were still trolling these forums....

I accept that all the trim has got to come out.

But if I have Dash-Mount-on-carpet issues, I'll see how far I get by lifting the carpet up from the rear without taking the whole thing out, and making any cutting as necessary around the RCM if it comes to that. It's mainly Loom and RCM access I need to worry about.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: Doesn't seem so hard to remove the carpet eh?
IMG_1535_WEB2.jpg
IMG_1535_WEB2.jpg [ 134.09 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]
File comment: The RCm connector for the Dash Loom is easy enough to remove. The the 2nd, hidden connector that will be troublesome.
IMG_1539_WEB2.jpg
IMG_1539_WEB2.jpg [ 126.69 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]
File comment: The 2nd connect and the RCM itself, in the bottom right of the image, doesn't look like it will be easy to get to. The rubber underlay is completely covering it, and the carpet loops behind the centre dash mount
IMG_1547_WEB2.jpg
IMG_1547_WEB2.jpg [ 134.63 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

A big plastic shrink-wrapped blob on a pallet has just arrived at work, apparently with my name on it.

Oh the anticiptaion....

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF Egas Tonner

NSW, Australia

No more work for you today then but we will expect updates over the weekend

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There's a bit of work to be done first.

For one, the leather needs a bit of TLC to bring it back up to scratch. It looks like the passenger headrest might need a bit more attention too.

And the looms and modules will all be hooked up to the lab for a thorough what-for before.

Ideally I was hoping for about 2 to 3 weeks of further planning and research just to be happy (I like that stuff anyway) - but I might be an opportunist and see if I can get going on the Anzac day long weekend....assuming i can resolve the headrest and side bolster problems by then, which i think is a bit optimistic.

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 12  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next