Fordmods Logo

BA to BF Fairlane Interior Conversion Project 

Page 4 of 12 [ 169 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: G6E Turbo

SA, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
It sounds like you're talking about seats without motors. I think there's even a TSB about seats that don't latch properly because they weren't installed in allignment as you say.

But both the passenger and drivers seat from the BF Fairlane are powered, so there's no locking mechanism or lever here. I'll have a closer look now you mention it though.

Lukeyson

Same with my BA Fairlane which has both electric seats - removed the seats the other day and had to use the same method when re-installing them - but move back and forward using the power switch.

AG3NT - 2008 FG G6E Turbo / SS Growler Kit / 19 Inch Dark Argent Wheels / ASL RGB System / FPV Cluster / 60lb Injectors / F6 Piping & Intercooler / KPM 15PSI Tune
JON211 - 2006 BF Fairlane Ghia / SS Induction / 18 Inch FG G6ET Wheels / ASL RGB System / Twin Rear Headrest LCD DVD Players

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

jlgw70 wrote:
I did mine without pulling out the dash - used builders spaghetti to run down the side of the dash then pulled up the new loom. The only thing I could not do was mount the loom down on the chassis.

'Mount on the chassis'?

Do you meant loom fasteners for cable management or something else - like the way the door loom plug clips in?

Lukeyson

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Yep - the cable tie mount - only one so it is no big deal. It mounts onto the chassis right above where the door loom and side bolt is holding the dash in.

AG3NT - 2008 FG G6E Turbo / SS Growler Kit / 19 Inch Dark Argent Wheels / ASL RGB System / FPV Cluster / 60lb Injectors / F6 Piping & Intercooler / KPM 15PSI Tune
JON211 - 2006 BF Fairlane Ghia / SS Induction / 18 Inch FG G6ET Wheels / ASL RGB System / Twin Rear Headrest LCD DVD Players

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So I take it that the removal procedure for the previous loom was 'pull bloody hard until it pops out' ... ?

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:12 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

That part was :)

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Seats have come up good. And once they get used a bit more hopefully they should bed in better.

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers
ORSM Ford Cruiser's Web Site

Contact me for Cluster Programming & Window switch colour change for BA/BF Falcons & Territory.

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Rear seats are now in except for the side bolsters - I still need to get them retrimmed. Man, the gunk that accumulates under the seats after 5 years!

The door panels are in too, although the handle inserts were scratched so I'll repaint them like I did the BA inserts.

I finished my Memory Mirror fix, and hooked it all up to the lab today. I can confirm that the memory module drives the seat and mirrors correctly, and doesn't seem to mind the missing pedal box that it was originally hooked up to.

So that's another milestone crossed.

Aside from the side bolsters, the passenger headrest still bugs me - turns out the shape of an XT headrest is different to a Fairlane headrest, so it's not filled out right.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
File comment: Bloody Beancounters. Notice how the leather on the side stops where the LWB wheel arch would start? The seats otherwise sit back a few inches.
IMG_3128_WEB2.jpg
IMG_3128_WEB2.jpg [ 120.22 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I had a failure today.

I went to put in the Drivers Door Harness, which should have let me put on the Digital Mirrors with Memory since the Mirror Modulator is part of the harness.

So I swapped it all out and was plugging things in, and I noticed that the drivers courtesy light did not come on. Since the passenger site courtesy worked i was curious as to why.

So I stripped it down again and looked at the door spine connector - and blow me down, but the two pins to provide courtesy light power are just not on the drivers side main loom! Bastards.

I figured I'd just live without it, and this time thought to test everything just as I'm about to put it back together - and the Mirror doesn't work at all - despite that fact I'd tested in the lab!

WTF?

So I looked deeper. The wiring for the memory mirror and controller is very simple in the BA manual, so I went to the AU manual originally for my research. There, the power for the controller and mirrors is provided by the same 299 line as the normal mirrors. This power line then back-feeds into the Memory Module under the drivers seat, and via a common line to the two mirrors.

But in the BA, this 299 line has no PIN in the door loom at all! WTF? So that made me scratch my head - this is one obvious difference now between BA and AU memory controllers.

It turns out that the power for Mirrors and MIrror Controller is now supplied BY the Memory Module under the seat, and the Memory Module gets it's power from another line somewhere. Tricky.

So if I had bridged this 299 line from the spine connector to the common line between the mirrors and controller, I could have got it working. But the rest of my life beckoned and I was forced to put my old Loom back in and get back to where I was.

I had done some research awhile ago to see if the Memory Mirrors could be setup without the Memory Module, because all I wanted was dip-on-reverse. That might still be possible, but since I actually HAVE a memory module now, the motivation to reverse engineer that possibility has dropped off....

So Memory Mirrors will now have to wait until the main looms are swapped since there is a new unexpected dependency.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BF RCM was hooked up to my lab setup today. of all the 'sensor missing' and 'airbag missing' dtc's, the only thing that stirred my attention was DTC C1414.

The workshop manual says 'Incorrect Vehicle ID'. IDS Test says 'Incorrect Module Design Level.'

Basically this is saying that pins 20 and 21 on connector C-189a are not connected correctly.

So let's see. BF with Side Airbags should be IGN. So Pin 20 should be connected to Ignition somehow, and 21 to GND. I have a BA dash loom in the lab, and the BF main looms (that are to eventually be installed) are currently hooked up. So I should be right shouldn't I?

Let's see if I can find out if that's being done right....

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Sun May 04, 2008 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Houston, we have a problem

I just found a possible show stopper as a result of that last lab test - and it's from 2 x separate mistakes. Glad I picked them up now.

The first was the connector used on the ARS/RCM. I thought the ARS/RCM VID pins were on the Body Loom connector (c189b) and not the Dash Loom connector (c189a). I think I may have even seen that earlier but still continued with the mistake.

The second mistake was that I thought the dash loom I had was from a BF Mk II Fairlane, and that's because of the part number:
BF2-14K024-A

NOW I know that BF2 is actually the code name for BA Mk II Fairlane!!!! Also explains why there were no YAW or SAS sensor connectors in it. NOW it all makes complete sense.

So C189a on BA Falcons has pin 20 - GND and 21 - None. (BA's are GNN)

But on a BF this requires that pin 20 be IGN and 21 be GND. And you guessed it, my lab setup uses a BA Dash Loom with my BF ARS Module.

Many other connectors let me relocate or insert pins. Now I have to determine if I can do this to the C189a connector.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Sun May 04, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Interesting read lukey!

Good luck with the rewiring - These ford things are quirky.
Its like how the abs pump has to match the same model as the ecu!

Nicko

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I just gutted a c189a from my butchered sacrifical loom. An unusual thing it is. There's a Foam insert to separate the pins, and a bright red cover on the front to stop pins from being removed. Thankfully the red cover comes off. I'll take pics at some point if there's interest.

Looks like I can relocate the GND pin from 20 to 21 easy enough, but will need to come up with some way to provide IGN on pin 20. I should be able to take it from pin 12 - which is how the BF loom actually does it.

I'll have a crack at doing this on the lab tomorrow and see how I go.

Luke

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nicko wrote:
Interesting read lukey!

Good luck with the rewiring - These ford things are quirky.
Its like how the abs pump has to match the same model as the ecu!

You just mean the BA Bosch 5.3 vs BF Bosch 8.0 there right?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just for the record, this is the part prefex/model matrix:

3R23
AY/BA BA Falcon
BAC BA RTV
BF BA Fairlane
BAT BA FPV

BA2 BA II Falcon
BAC2 BA II RTV
BF2 BA II Fairlane
BA2T BA II FPV

5R29
BAF BF Falcon
BAFC BF RTV
BFF BF Fairlane
BAFT BF FPV

7R29
BAF2 BF2 Falcon
BAFC2 BF2 RTV
BFF2 BF2 Fairlane
??? BF2 FPV

Does anyone know what BLF and BLF2 are? I have a feeling they are LTD models, just not sure if BA or BF.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Lukeyson on Wed May 07, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Just for the record, this is the part prefex/model matrix:

3R23 AY/BA BA Falcon
BAC BA RTV
BAC BA RTV
BF BA Fairlane
BA2 BA II Falcon
BAC2 BA II RTV
BF2 BA II Fairlane

5R29 BAF BF Falcon
BAFC BF RTV
BFF BF Fairlane

7R29 BAF2 BF2 Falcon
BAFC2 BF2 RTV
BFF2 BF2 Fairlane

Does anyone know what BLF and BLF2 are? I have a feeling they are LTD models, just not sure if BA or BF.

Lukeyson

BLF is ltd - as thatis what my chromatic mirrror is from

Nicko

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 12  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next