Fordmods Logo

BenJ's Interior Mods - Now with EL Dash and Console 

Page 9 of 12 [ 174 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Cheers nicco, I have said many times, that if you wait, watch and learn, the right parts come up in due time.

amen to that. i have found the same. its the 1 in 10 principle, 1 in every 10 is something special, just gotta be ready for it when it comes along!! :P

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

No worries Ben, your helping me comply with the Councils request to clear off some cars. LOL
They just don't understand having cars as a hobby.
Cheers Mate,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Post subject: EL Handbrake to EB plus other bits
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Gidday, It's me - just in case you were wondering LOL

Ok, I spent some more time this week trying to sort out the EL floor mounted handbrake, and getting it to work with the EB handbrake cables.

I followed Barnacus' lead and using his method as a guide came up with this.

You can see here that the handbrake cable from the handle comes through the floor from the rear of the car towards the front, and pulls backwards on the lever to pull the EB handbrake cables in the correct manner.

I made my lever from a spare original EB handbrake component. In the following pictures you can see the one I made compared to the factory one.

The factory item is the flat one.

This arrangement still needs some fine tuning. I need to either mount the lever bracket more to the front, or find some way to give me more adjustment. The handbrake will hold the car in Drive or Reverse, but only when the handle is really yanked on. As this is the case, I think I am on the right track, and will play with it some more when the mood takes me.

During the week I have also attended to a couple of other things.

I sorted out the issue with the Climate Control. The fan was only coming on FULL. In the end it was indeed some of my bodgy wiring. A wire had come loose on the adapter I made. A few minutes work with the soldering iron had it all fixed up. Now the fan works on all speeds. All that is left to do now is get it regassed. (I hope)

As noted above, when I put the dash in I noticed it was lighter in colour than the Vent Cowl cover and the EF door trim tops. I found out that there are three colours. One in the EF and two greys in the ELs. The simple fix was (thanks again Paulmac) to get the appropriate parts from the car the dash came out of. I then swapped them over. I also was able to swap a trip computer with black buttons for one with grey buttons. So overall the whole thing looks much more cohesive. While the door trims were off, I also installed the Fairmont door lock which in the EB has a light in it. This also then meant I had to change the boot and ignition locks so they all operated from the one key. After the car is washed I will get some finished photos.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BenJ,
The car looked great last week, looks better this week.
Every time I think 'it's done' you find another small thing to change that adds a lot more to the overall effect. When I had a look to-day I was surprised at HOW much difference the relatively small trim changes and the trip computer buttons made.
Looks even more classy and...cohesive is a really good word...I would have said really well balanced. LOL
Better than a bought one by far!
Mac

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

BenJ,

Yep i will need 2 organ donors, but which one do i get first lol? Tough choice but i'm leaning towards a EB/ED Ghia or a 'lane for the leather seats & sunroof.

Your car is truly a credit to you, and a very unique vehicle i'm sure you will enjoy for years to come! I bet it spin's the guys out at your insurance company! Usually guys i speak with @ Shannon's get a chuckle or say it's very cool i converted my ghia to a 5spd!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU 3 XR6

NSW, Australia

you have done a great job but i am curious why didn't you use the EL steerin column and wheel ? would have looked much better IMHO

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The EB/ED Ghia and XR style seats look heaps better than EF/EL seats, good combination.

I have often thought of swapping to those seats, the only problem I have is the missus hates leather and due to the age most are very weathered in the leather parts, they aged better than EF/EL leather seats, which always looked like a 200kg lard a*** had been using them.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

au3sr wrote:
you have done a great job but i am curious why didn't you use the EL steerin column and wheel ? would have looked much better IMHO

Well, that is the great thing about modding cars, we can all do our own thing to our own taste.

Personally, I can't stand the EL/AU wheel. It's a big fat bulbous looking contraption due to the air bag requirement. While the Momo versions might feel nice they still look unwieldy.

And there are other technical difficulties, like needing and EF/EL pedal box and Steering rack etc.

Macca wrote:
The EB/ED Ghia and XR style seats look heaps better than EF/EL seats, good combination.

I have often thought of swapping to those seats, the only problem I have is the missus hates leather and due to the age most are very weathered in the leather parts, they aged better than EF/EL leather seats, which always looked like a 200kg lard a*** had been using them.

And of course they don't bolt straight in. Room around the handbrake is also a little on the tight side as the EL seats are placed a little more to the right.

I was actually quite relieved at how well the whole interior jelled together.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Now that it's all one colour, can you put up a couple more pix, please.
There's no truth to the rumor that I only want to see what my car would have looked like if I'd never met you, no truth at all, I swear, really.. LOL
I just like the look of it now, it makes a big difference.
Cheers,
Paul

Post subject: Satin Black - no Woodgrain in my EB
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well have been a busy lad again.

This is my last week of holidays, and I go back to work again next week. Sad state of affairs really. LOL

I had already painted the interior door handles in Satin Black, and I really liked the way they came up. I had been looking around for some stuffed EF/EL woodgrain door trims, and finally a set fell into my lap. So I started late last week sanding them back and painting them. I took my time, but the passenger front disagreed with the plastic primer and crazed. I tried a couple of times to sand it back and re prep it but it was no good. In the end I just sprayed some black on it, let it dry then gave it a light sand and hit it with a couple of coats of spray putty. Problem solved.

Any way yesterday I finished spraying them and let them dry overnight. I fitted them in place this morning using some clear silicone.

Enough talk, some pics.

I think I will also paint the Fairmont dash spear to match. Will have to get a spare one first.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

ahh nice. looks like you've beaten me to it, i've always wanted to do something along those lines too. i've been waiting for a cheap lot of woodgrain to come up.

nice work

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey, thanks Nicco.

I forgot to include a couple of other things I have added to the interior.

Remote Central Locking and Boot Release - Cheers snap0964
Rear Map Pockets (EF Ghia)
Carpet Kick Panels (EL Ghia)
Power Antenna (AU) and Grey Switch (EL Wagon)
Felt lined Glove Box (EF Ghia)
Leather Hand Brake Handle (EF Ghia)

Still got very little heat from the heater. This is no different to how is was before the dash change though. Looks like the dash will be coming out again in the near future. "Sigh"

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

More info about the AU antenna and Remote Central Locking please? :D

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

knowsfords wrote:
More info about the AU antenna and Remote Central Locking please? :D

Hi Mate

I got the antenna from an AU wreck. I had to change the mast cover and the bottom bracket to fit the EB. The antenna itself is identical to the EB unit.

For the remote central locking, I installed an alarm system, which also can immobilise the car. It is also able to open the boot by remote.

You can get remote central locking kits from places like Jaycar etc.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

What about the electrics for the antenna? Needed the high series module etc?

Wanted, CFI manifold

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 12  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next