Fordmods Logo

BenJ's Interior Mods - Now with EL Dash and Console 

Page 6 of 12 [ 174 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ookin good ben

Sorry ben had to do it :P

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

lookin good ben

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

LOL Six Posts in one hit.

Nice one Dave.

I can't believe you figured out my secret. It has been the Cat all along doing my mods. :wink: :wink:

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

LOL Six Posts in one hit.

BenJ

OOPS - Double Post LOL

Last edited by BenJ on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: telstar tx5

NSW, Australia

looking real good dude and once you have finshed all that off the amp im giving you will have a el/ef feel to it

!* Banned *!

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Hey BENJ,

i am a new member, and am in the midst of doing pretty much all of what you have done to your EB, to my EB.

I googled the subject, and found your thread, which is why i chose to join this forum.

Anyway, just wanted to say great thread, along with the engine conv thread, which i'll also be doing. It has provided all the info i have needed.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tx5_reaper wrote:
looking real good dude and once you have finshed all that off the amp im giving you will have a el/ef feel to it

Cheers Mate, I look forward to that.

PIMP_LTD wrote:
Hey BENJ,

i am a new member, and am in the midst of doing pretty much all of what you have done to your EB, to my EB.

I googled the subject, and found your thread, which is why i chose to join this forum.

Anyway, just wanted to say great thread, along with the engine conv thread, which i'll also be doing. It has provided all the info i have needed.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Gidday Andrew.

I am honoured to be the recipient of your first post here on FordMods. Let me be the first to say 'WELCOME'.

The reason I started my threads, was to help others like yourself and to show what can be done with limited funds and a lot of hard work.

I look forward to following your own posts as you progress through your own build.

Regards
BenJ

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Gidday Andrew.

I am honoured to be the recipient of your first post here on FordMods. Let me be the first to say 'WELCOME'.

The reason I started my threads, was to help others like yourself and to show what can be done with limited funds and a lot of hard work.

I look forward to following your own posts as you progress through your own build.

Regards
BenJ

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to seeing your finished product, to get a good idea of what mine will look like. I also look forward to sharing my build on these forums, and as a matter of fact i'm buying all the interior tomorrow.

Keep up the great work mate.

Andrew.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

somethings gone screwy with your thread benj... I think that 6 post hit has sent the rest of it into another dimension.

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Wooo Hooo

:D :D :D

Got the dash in this afternoon and plugged it all together. The main thing was to see if it starts, and it does.

Very Happy!!!!!

Tomorrow will be sorting all the other little things in the dash and then fitting the console and handbrake etc.

There are also bits and piece like my hands free phone kit, and the thermo fans manual override switch etc.

Till Tomorrow.

BenJ

Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:43 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

im happy to hear it works mate..
now its just the little things...

Post subject: EL Dash Conversion - Part 2
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hi - me again.

As I have had the pleasure of a spare set of wheels (ED Futura, T5, 3.27 LSD - fun) - Cheers PaulMac, I have been able to spend more time sorting things as I go.

When I left off from my previous post, I had to solder on a replacement Radio plug which had been cut off in the distant past, run a couple of extra wires that went to the ECU, and finish installing the cluster and my cluster loom.

This took up a bit of time as it is quite fiddly work. I also had to work out what to do with my heater box. I considered swapping it out, but could not find a way to get the heater hoses off the pipes. They are located behind the BBM and are quite impossible to get at. I think I will have to take off the BBM, and I really didn't want to go there at this time. So I modded the GLi heater box to take the EL climate control parts, a fun story I may relay another time. On both my cars the vent flap that controls fresh air is broken. I went to Pick N Payless, and every car had the same problem so will live with it for now.

The other mod I was believed I had to make was to the EB Pedal Box. Now, if you are using the EB Pedal Box and a EF/EL dash and the EF/EL steering column, you will need to cut out the two steering column support bolts. Be aware that they EF/EL bolts are spaced wider than the EB so measure carefully. I cut mine out using the EB bolt locations as a guide and found that the EL bolts wouldn't line up with the pedal box, and therefore would not line up with the EB steering column. My solution was to remove the EL bolts from the Dash and improvise (large flat washers) the remounting of the EB bolts to there original location. This worked well for me. So if you are using the EB Steering column, don't mod the pedal box.

I got the dash in position and then spent a good hour flat on my back in various positions with my head under the dash plugging in the looms to each other. A joyful experience I believe you all should try at least once.

Finally it was time to see if it would run and as I reported previously it started and ran. The cluster was doing it's thing and all was wonderful in my world.

This morning I got up and removed the seats, carpet and necessary trims. I gave the floor a dust and a wash before installing the console. It all went together relatively painlessly and a couple of things required a little trimming.

I installed the drivers seat and went for a test drive boy racer style.

Pics.

It was dark by the time I got the carpet and all the trims back in place, so here is a quick shot with the flash on.

I took the car for a good drive and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of creaks, groans and rattles that I expected from the dash. The EL Trip Computer works as it should and the boot pops, the fuel flap opens and I used the central locking switch to light up the ODO LCD.

There are a couple of things remaining to sort out:

The EL hand brake is bolted down but not connected. The EB hand brake will be removed soon as the handle keeps wacking my shin. PARK will be my friend for a short while.

I am yet to put the CD Player in. I have to make the EL head unit brackets fit my JVC special.

I have found that the heater fan will only work on HIGH, so I think I will swap in a spare fan controller I have handy.

I also have to figure out how to get the car into learning mode to accept a new keypad. I think the issue is that my ignition barrel is not a smartlock one. I will investigate further.

Thanks to all for their comments. I have had a lot of fun and learnt a lot doing this mod, and I am very happy with the results.

Until next time.
BenJ

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:08 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

looking great now ben!

its like it was made that way..

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

holy crap... thats a fantastic effort, it gets hard to criticize the old boxcars when they are retro-fitted with modern parts like yours.. top effort.

Only thing i would comment on is the dinosaur steering wheel not matching with the newer interior. Maybe an EF/EL wheel might blend in better?

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I've always actually rather liked the EA-ED dash.. the fairmont ghia version anyway.... love my digital display.. I'd do the same thing if they had the digital option in the EF/EL dash

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 12  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next