Fordmods Logo

Boss kit for EL falcon aftermarket steering wheel. Which one 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6, Blueprint, Turbo

VIC, Australia

I messaged them yesterday and they do have them for the EF/EL, so ill be buying that as soon as I get the car back. They said it has the square spline fitting.

I just think that not everyone needs to repeat the legal side of things, it gets annoying when everybody says it.
I dont think anybody is that dumb on here to know whats legal or not.

My car didnt come with cruise control, the chick who bought the car new didnt option it, it was like an extra $800 as an option and she didnt want it.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The wording sounds strange as they arent splined in any way. I guess you've taken the wheel off and seen they are a square shaft with rounded edges. But good luck either way.

Also, do you want cruise control. I have a couple of complete cruise setups I'm gonna throw out soon. Seeing as you have ABS, it would be a 5 min install to get cruise.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Why are you throwing the cruise controls kits out if you could sell them on ebay for a decent amount. I was looking for the stuff at a wreckers and never found it complete.

if i got it off you, how would i operate the cruise control without buttons on the steering wheel.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Because I can't be stuffed selling them. I don't have the time to put them up and post, etc, etc. Rather see them go to a good use if possible.

You can put the buttons else where, like drill them into the column surround.

Someone I know on here put 5 mini push button switches onto the face of the lower 1/2 of the colum shroud, right behind the wheel. Does the job and isnt too unsightly.

Just need 3 resistors, 5 switches (or 4 if you dont coast or 3 if you dont want the decrease speed) and some wire.

Standard install with ABS would be 5 mins. In your case, maybe 30 mins.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

el_xr6_luke wrote:
Why are you throwing the cruise controls kits out if you could sell them on ebay for a decent amount. I was looking for the stuff at a wreckers and never found it complete.

if i got it off you, how would i operate the cruise control without buttons on the steering wheel.

i see u pretty much have a show car i love it anyway

far as crusie controls switches on the steering wheel it wont work once ya fit ya new one derr i knew ya knew that

but in saying that remember they are switches at the end of the day

why not wire then up to diffrent switches for example use the space in ya centre console if u dun alreay have power window switches there

if so

the centre console its self mounting switches on the top part of it would be best penty of room (where ford made it for tapes) i got switches there and running wires is a breeze

sounds like a pain in the a*** use i know but in sayin that is a show car and how often would u really use the cruise control

cheers
justin
ps luv ya car luke

My Fairmont

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

does it make a mess of the engine bay with added wiring or anything?

Ive seen one install on a custom steering wheel where he wired a few toggle switches onto a piece of steel on the back of the steering wheel, i think it was in an eb.

im rarely on the highways so not sure if its really any good for me. might get one off you when i get my car back. havent had if for 4 weeks.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

You could always do what I did put a whole ED steering column in it. Its a bit of stuffing around but they fit. That was the first thing I done when I got my XR6 I hated the steering wheel. Another thing you will have to do is get hold of a EA-ED combination switch other wise you wont have a horn (the arms are a simple swap over so you can still keep your original stalks). That site that was posted they are the same boss kit as a EA-ED so they wont fit yours it said at the top of the page NOT SUITABLE FOR VEHICLES WITH DRIVERS AIRBAG FITTED. Anyway hope this helps and arm79 if you want to get rid of one of the cruise controls I will pick one up if you want. (my car didn't come with cruise ether :( ). Another question. How would the cruise go with turbo set ups because my turbo melts everything as it is would it melt the cruise box?

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Also, do you want cruise control. I have a couple of complete cruise setups I'm gonna throw out soon. Seeing as you have ABS, it would be a 5 min install to get cruise.

if you have some to throw away, i'll swing you a bit of spendooli to put one in a box and send it. my aftermarket cruise has just on carked it

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Dellar69 wrote:
You could always do what I did put a whole ED steering column in it. Its a bit of stuffing around but they fit. That was the first thing I done when I got my XR6 I hated the steering wheel. Another thing you will have to do is get hold of a EA-ED combination switch other wise you wont have a horn (the arms are a simple swap over so you can still keep your original stalks). That site that was posted they are the same boss kit as a EA-ED so they wont fit yours it said at the top of the page NOT SUITABLE FOR VEHICLES WITH DRIVERS AIRBAG FITTED. Anyway hope this helps and arm79 if you want to get rid of one of the cruise controls I will pick one up if you want. (my car didn't come with cruise ether :( ). Another question. How would the cruise go with turbo set ups because my turbo melts everything as it is would it melt the cruise box?

I asked and he confirmed that they were for the car, and that warning is probably so nobody takes off the airbag and they dont get any blame for it.

Whats melted around your turbo? the brake booster?
I just bought a turbo beenie for $140 to put on. because when i was driving the car, the bonnet was damn hot where the turbo was so i want to protect the paint work.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

el_xr6_luke wrote:
does it make a mess of the engine bay with added wiring or anything?

Ive seen one install on a custom steering wheel where he wired a few toggle switches onto a piece of steel on the back of the steering wheel, i think it was in an eb.

im rarely on the highways so not sure if its really any good for me. might get one off you when i get my car back. havent had if for 4 weeks.

Nup no mess...

You'll find the wiring is already there, just tucked away so you cant see it. The module sits under the front guard, next to the brake booster/master cylinder and you then have one cable, similar to the accelerator cable, that runs to the throttle body.

The plastic outer will melt the same way as an accelerator cable when it runs over the turbo. So you'd have to protect it in the same way.

I'll see what I have left at home. I've done alot of throwing away in the last few weeks. Most of you guys would cry when you see whats lying in the pile in my ex-veggie patch.

I did find 7 woodgrain shifter surrounds, 4 premo audio full kits and I think 4 leather shifters. But those are not freebies. :wink:

I'm on my way to holiday house for the weekend, so I'll let everyone know when I get back.

Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

[/quote]I asked and he confirmed that they were for the car, and that warning is probably so nobody takes off the airbag and they dont get any blame for it.

Whats melted around your turbo? the brake booster?
I just bought a turbo beenie for $140 to put on. because when i was driving the car, the bonnet was damn hot where the turbo was so i want to protect the paint work.[/quote]

Ah that good alot eaiser that way you melted my brake booster, wire and cables and i have had a turbo beenie on it since i put the turbo on :shock:

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2