Fordmods Logo

boss kit/ smaller steering wheel ilegal? 

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: boss kit/ smaller steering wheel ilegal?
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

im not thinking he gets the message, hence the responses. who gives a f**k if its legal to drive with bling autobarn wheel, the point is the airbag is there to help stop his head become curried egg, and THATS what he should be worried about.....

Easy turbo....Think you need to read it again... It says its illegal... And he's asked for help to make it legal... He only stated that it was a boss kit and not a hacked up steering colum...

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 93 EB xr6

VIC, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
bry40l wrote:
hahahah its called a boss kit im not stupid enough to drive a car with hacked up steering parts

Oh you will go such a long way here pup................................if you think that a sports steering wheel makes a car handle better I dare say you actually are stupid enough to drive a car with a hacked steering column.
Im full aware of what a boss kit is. I have had many myself. Actually I would of got my first one before you made the long swim down your old mans C**k.

hahahaha :lol: thats what the mechanic i used to work with tell me all the tiime. but refering towork on cars. but yeh he seems like a bit of a dumb C***!

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed
FOR SALE BA XR8 18" GENIUNE 0433006707

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

either way how did he buy a car with illegal mods on it? im led to believe in the eastern states you have to have a current rwc to sell the car? wouldnt removal of an airbag fail an rwc?

anyways in response to the original query, replace the original wheel and airbag before anyone notices, rendering your car defected, or you crash and end up in a bad way physically, aswell as financially when the insurance refuses to pay out.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:30 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

In nsw you dont need a roadworthy to sell the car, you just need a roadworthy every 12 months to keep it on the road...

best thing to do is just fit a std ef/el steering wheel to go through rego check..

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

i got the car cheap but i have a spare car, both of them have the airbag light flashing on wen the cars drive, it has a EF boss kit as they can be ordered in from super cheap, the old owner has told me he ordered it in from super cheap, and ive looked at it and it seems to be in properly like a normal one, maybe the xh ute one fits? either way im changing it back to standard soon

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
i got the car cheap but i have a spare car, both of them have the airbag light flashing on wen the cars drive, it has a EF boss kit as they can be ordered in from super cheap, the old owner has told me he ordered it in from super cheap, and ive looked at it and it seems to be in properly like a normal one, maybe the xh ute one fits? either way im changing it back to standard soon

yeh so even if the original one is fitted the light still flash's?? then disconnection of the airbag has bought up a trouble code in the system. will need I diagnostic scan to find out the problem, which will need to be done for rego

1993 EB XR6 Factory 5spd-2.5" exhaust w/ dump pipe-Genuine BA XR8 18" wheels-K&N filter-Momo Steering Wheel-Pioneer Head Unit-Sony 12" Sub-Pioneer 600w MonoBlock 4ch Amp- Xplod 6x9's-Superlowed

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yeah wont pass rego with a flashing airbag light...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Is it because the ignition has been turned on with the airbag disconnected? Might need to be reset at a dealer....?? Never had an issue with my BA when i've taken the airbag out, but i did take a seat out of a mate's vt and because he drove it without the passenger seat out he had to get the seat belt pretensioner light reset. Could be something like that... Maybe?!

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

BAXLS03 wrote:
Is it because the ignition has been turned on with the airbag disconnected? Might need to be reset at a dealer....?? Never had an issue with my BA when i've taken the airbag out, but i did take a seat out of a mate's vt and because he drove it without the passenger seat out he had to get the seat belt pretensioner light reset. Could be something like that... Maybe?!

read 2 posts up.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
it needs a working airbag to pass inspection

whoever removed the airbag to fit a ricer wheel is stupid. Get it fixed for your own sake.....
bry40l wrote:
its actually makes the car handle alot better then the stock one cause its so much smaller

actually i think you should leave the airbag out.

:lol:

:lol, that'll prolly be best for all of us shortly.

EF/EL don't specifically have a boss kit fom memory it is a XH one, but yes it's illegal to remove steering wheel with an airbag.

The only legal way to put a flash steering wheel is to find an ef-au one (I think AU is same spline)
out of a XR or sports model, I've seen em on eBay before. Basically just the outer ring and you refit the airbag to it, although you will probably have to buy another airbag...good luck with that!

Or get a standard one wrapped in some thin leather or whatever at a good upholsterer.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:

Again there is no boss kit for an EF/EL falcon due to it being illegal to run a ricer wheel... So someone has destroyed the column to get it on there so it'd be off to the wreckers to find a new column I dare say...

Cheers,
Tim

wrong. Saas make them, as do autotecnica.
They also make them for mitsubishi magnas which have an airbag
Its just illegal to actually use them

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Yeah, wouldn't have to butcher the column.
Now I'm thinking about it there probably out there cos you can use them for motorsport porposes where roadworthy inspections dosnt matter. Drag car, speedway, rally.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

ill be reconnecting the air bag up some time this week hopefully ill have no problem with the light once i plug the bag in and reset it

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

eb_dean wrote:
BAXLS03 wrote:

read 2 posts up.

Sorry oh great one! I will never post after you without reading everything you write word for word!

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:43 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensill...

NSW, Australia

geeeez listen to some of you guys, (no mentioning names!), say what you want, but have some f**k respect..

yep, alot of us take a great disliking to the typical sterotype of that person whos, "on their P's", who likes their "s**t" and want "locked diffs" and f**k standard engines with "Pod filters" sticking out the bonnet, And aftermarket "steering wheels without the factory airbag"..
And the guy who likes to hit 100km/h in my street on school hour which is a 40km/h because hes trying to impress his 16yro friend.

Been nasty to people on the internet who you dont friggen know, over ''personal tastes'' will achieve absoutly nothing for everyone who loves this website (so dont waste your time replying with garbage)

my toy actually has alot of the "typical dislikings" that so many of you run down on first impressions...

The thing is.. Things are alot more safer then what one would first believe... Yes it dose have a few undesirable modifications, and in my opinion they are safe... If not safer then some of the standard setups.. BUT that opinion is only based around my intended purpose for the car....

If it was a casual daily driver, been driven by someone with no experience and no idea, and who DIDENT build it themselves... then yes, i would agree there is most definatly incressed potential for an accident or even death.

XR6, 3''CAI, sick'o BBM, no AC, 2.5''exhaust, special cat, PWR radiator&expansion-tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM converter, shiftkit, 4 pin 3.91:1, 31spline billets, minispool, Nolathane, RDA golds, My interior, genuine GT's.. (gallery) SpeedFlow

Last edited by wholagan on Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next