Fordmods Logo

broken dash mounts 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: broken dash mounts
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli

SA, Australia

The two dash mounts in behind where the speedo is on my EF has snapped an the dash sits out about 3cm an rattles my air vents. I was wondering if the whole dash was needed to be pulled out to fix this or is there an easier way to repair the mounts?

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

take ur cluster out and see if you can see the broken mounts, if not, the whole baby is coming out :D

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli

SA, Australia

the two broken mounts where the dash joins to the car behind where the speedo is mounted. If you lift up the cover right up the front of the dash the two broken mounts are visible

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Correct, the cover near the windscreen needs to be removed to reveal the 5 upper mounting points. You could maybe make up 2 metal plates, or get some metal strap (probably better and quicker) - mount the strap to the plastic via a self tapper, and a hole in the metal becomes your new mounting point.
I wouldn't bother with araldite, etc, as I'd suspect it will only crack eventually.
You might need to pull the dash out slightly to access the area, remove the 5 upper (undo the earthing wire too), 2 side and 2 near the radio mount bolts, undo the 2 top steering column mounts, drop the column onto the front seat with a support such as a wrapped rag. Put a rag on the upper column plastic surround. You may need to disconnect the heaterbox cable if it's a non climate control model.

Pull the dash out - you should be able to get about 10-12 inches without removing any connectors, etc. Don't drop the column any lower than the top of the front seat without undoing the plate surrounding the column at the firewall.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]