Fordmods Logo

Broken Recirc Flap - Fixed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Broken Recirc Flap - Fixed
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Finally got around to fixing the old recirc flap today, but didn't really feel like pulling out the entire dash to do it.

I was in too much of a rush to take pics, but decided to do an autodesk inventor model of it instead :)

If your actuator arm happens to break where mine did, which was on the "axle" rather than the arm itself, you should be able to simply pop the other end out and remove the flap using a flat blade screwdriver with minimal hassle. The end of the drivers side "axle" of the flap has a little knob on the end, which you can later file off so it will go back in a lot easier. The hardest part was getting the metal clip off the vacuum actuator arm above the ECU. I had to remove the ECU mounting bracket (one screw) to get a pair of scissors in there and pry it off. Theres not much room in there, so you might need a small pair of hands.

What I did was simply file the broken round section off completely flat, leaving me with the recirc flap, and a bare actuator arm. (see pics)

I then got a 3/8 UNC bolt and ground it down flat on two sides of the thread. I heated the bolt up with a torch, and carefully melted the now rectangular bolt shaft through the flap, and quickly quenched them both with water to stop further melting. I then removed the bolt and did the same with the broken arm as well. Before melting through the flap or arm, I drilled a hole in both of them (after lining it all up) and got the hole as close as possible in size to that of the bolt. This will aid the melting and prevent your flap turning into a molten mess - be carefull, and have that dish of water ready!

For the missing axle section that was filed away, I found a broken antenna and cut off a 10mm section of sleeving from the telescoping bit. This piece needs to be the same outer diameter as the round pin on the other side of the flap, and be large enough to slip over the 3/4 bolt threads nicely. For better grip, and to prevent rotation of the arm on the flap, I filed out a few small notches on both ends of the sleeve so it bites into the surfaces of the flap and actuator arm.

Assembly is straight forward. Just slide the flap back up the heater box, and guide the original drivers side axle back into its pivot hole. Take the bolt, sleeve and actuator arm assembly and feed them through from the vacuum actuator side and through the box and flap. Tighten the nut up and put the arm and retaining circlip back on.

Works like a charm, and should never break again!

Attachments:
Recirc Flap Exploded 1.jpg
Recirc Flap Exploded 1.jpg [ 203.94 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
Recirc Flap Exploded 2.jpg
Recirc Flap Exploded 2.jpg [ 174.83 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]
Recirc Flap Assembly 1.jpg
Recirc Flap Assembly 1.jpg [ 212.29 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

last pic...

Attachments:
Recirc Flap Assembly 2.jpg
Recirc Flap Assembly 2.jpg [ 186.5 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

good stuff, you are very good with the drawings

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]