Fordmods Logo

Car theater??? Input apreciated 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Car theater??? Input apreciated
Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED GLi

QLD, Australia

Okie doke for people who dont know me Im James, Ive spoken to some of you's when i had that hiccup with the new ride but all good now {thanks guys}, yeh well anyways time to get started on my goal with my new car ok a little about it.

93 ED falcon GLi, i love it picked it up for 1500 and is actually my favourite model so im glad to have it, it had a rebuild on the gearbox about 5,000 or so clicks ago, paints doged but i have plans for that and the interior is imacculate. At this present time i havent done much besides put in xr6 cluster{temp guage not working concerned it mite be a dud dont know how to test if anyone could tell me how} and replaced the bcm.

I would like to put in a trip computer but the plug behind where it goes is diffrent to the plug on computer so im not sure on how to go about that and i also got this anooying radiator light on the cluster that wont go away not sure if thats in connection to the failed temp guage.

My goal for the car is to turn it into a fully functional home theater with a large screen roof mounted aprox 20 to 27inch if possible and a audio equipment supporting Dolby Digital and DTS decoding. I was looking at possible Logitechs Z5500 THX approved 5.1 system seeing as ppl have had success running them via a inverter, and from wat i heard their subs sound pretty good in a trunk and to handle the media end of business i was thinking of an ps3 revised model mounted in the glove box. So theres my proposal and im open to all suggestion, tips and hints and ideas.

Fyi i dont want to spend no more then 5000 dollars so thats my budget

things i would considor
Ef or EL interior ive seen benj do it a couple times
cruise
climate control

Cheers James

Post subject: Re: Car theater??? Input apreciated
Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB Falcon

nice they sound like some big plans there, they would be bloody awsome when its finished. BTW ps3 in a glove box? might get a little hot

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

and you mean you wana use an inverter to run an actual 5.1 home theatre surround sound system in a car?

i think it would be easier to install the dvd player in dash, have that hooked up to 2 car amps, one amp for the speakers(4chanel) and one for the sub (monoblock), if you are gonna be running some serious bass then get a 1 farad capacitor, then for your 20 or 27 inch lcd, have that hooked up to your dash dvd player as an extra av channel running outputs to it. so then you dont have home speakers in a car????? i had a system in my old car went hard and wasnt too expensive subs were the most, depending if u want big ones or big amps....

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

yeh the problem there are currently no in car blu ray players and no hdmi i was thinking re routing a ac vent to inside the glove box or maybe sum extraction fans, the speaker ideas sounds good but i really want DTS and DD decoding and as far as i know there isnt any in car decoders i was thinkin the 5500s due to their 6th order enclosures and long throw subs. they also have a strong tolerence to heat oh and their amazing abilty to drop bottom. my only concerne is the inverter they tend to generate dirty power. I had it little brother the 8inch version z2300s and they did a good job at rattleing the car and the house windows but yes im loving the feed back

cheers james

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

i also i was wandering how would i go about mounting a Asus slim mount 20 inch LCD HD moniter

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

i also i was wandering how would i go about mounting a Asus slim mount 20 inch LCD HD moniter

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:49 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

mysh*tbox wrote:
Fyi i dont want to spend no more then 5000 dollars so thats my budget

So you like home theatre? Spend 3 of that on a good tv, and the other 2 on a real sound system. Do you really think that the logitech's are that good just because it says THX on it?

Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

no beacause i know they arent thx approved please like a phase plug can peak 20000khz, i like them because they are compact thay have decoders i require opt in and they its just i need info on how to install them and yeh im quite the home theater buff i have Epson 1080p lcd prjector ONKYO THX varieble phase amp, pioneer blu ray player and tivo, and yamaha 7.2 setup with both subs 6th order bandpass 10s abit off subject but i want to recreat a cinema witch is portable

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:01 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Do you know what I like? Grammar. It makes posts legible and therefore easy to understand.

mysh*tbox wrote:
i want to recreat a cinema witch is portable

How much work do you think you can do yourself? Otherwise I think your budget might be a bit small for what your trying to do. Unless you just want duct tape to hold everything together.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:04 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

i can do the labor myself, i am good with electronics and my pops a sparky so i have his help on hand. i do have an extensive tool collection so im ok when it comes to stuff like that

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:16 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Are you good enough to reliably and safely mount a TV in a car? Along with the inverters, batteries and wiring upgrades (alternator, battery, ground) to get a TV and home theater running in car. Also how do you plan on having your normal stereo combined? Btw this is a terrible Idea on the audio side of things. The left channel is always going to be far out of phase with the right and in a movie that can be really off putting.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:28 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

the out of phase channel can be fixed with multi-channel DSP im pretty sure can whip something together for that, i did it for my home theater, tv mount i was think of getting my cousin{boilermaker} weld together a hinged roof mount for the lcd and weld that to the roof. Though it struck me that would a roof support that. no normal stereo no need dont listen to cds ill intergrate it with my ipod.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:45 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Well in a car environment you will get better sound out of 6 1/2 inch splits all round instead of the tiny Logitech Z5500 speakers.

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

QLD, Australia

yer i think using the inverter to try and run 240v gear in a car thats 12v, will strain ur alternator to the max, and u will need a big inverter (measured in watts) to be able to handle it, otherwise that will start smoking.... but think about how u will mount the speakers? how will it work, like mounting to the side pillars or something? be easier to work out a way to run car audio system like usualy, and i tell u they go f**k hard! and then somehow hook ur ps3 outs to the audio, and then incorporate the 20inch into it too... hooking the 20 inch to the ps3 be easy becuz just one cable, but unless its an in car 20 inch? ull need like 240v again???? which is a major let down becuz ur using more power to actually convert it to ac, not dc, and then yer ull be having like a computer monitor type thing? just dunno how... look into some more car audio mags n go to places that do audio systems in cars n ask them for what they wud use.. to get some idea. just thinking with 24v ac u might get problems down track with the inverter n stuff

BA XR6T Manual 220rw kw - 20' chromies, pedders ultra lows, hurricane 2.5' twin exhaust by Fat Pipes, PBR premium slotted brakes, leather pack, and soon more under the bonnet!

Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

mysh*tbox wrote:
{temp guage not working concerned it mite be a dud dont know how to test if anyone could tell me how}

Process of elimination, was the gauge working on the old cluster? If not, replace the temp sender on the motor. If it's still not working then, yes it's a dud.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next