Central Locking Problems? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Central Locking Problems?
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6 MKII

WA, Australia

Alright heres the story.

About 1 week ago i brought new speakers for the car. After reading the some guides I had gathered enough information to remove the door trims and replace the speakers. Upon doing so I actually broke the Red Plastic part that pushes the door lock up and down. However, this isn't my problem. After putting that door back together the central locking *from smart lock keypad* worked fine, So onto the passenger door. I now knew that the plastic part snaps, if the door lock isn't removed. So i got some pilers and pulled the lock off the plastic pole before removing the trim. Once I had installed the speaker i began to put the door back together. When it came to putting the plastic thing back onto the pole i was unsure of how to do it. So i began trying to bash it back on. It never sat back on probably but i thought I Could live with the problem. I closed the door and tried to lock it using the smarklock. The pole went down and straight back up. All the doors were shut at this point. So i thought it would be best to try and lock it with the key. This worked fine without any problems

Today i rang a wrecker and asked if they knew what was wrong. He said to take the trim off and unplug the wire harness and then try and use the smart lock to close the door. This worked fine, so he suggested to me that it is the central locking motor.

I would like to know if anyone has come across this problem, and what is the best solution to resolving it?

Cheers

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Its a common problem with just about all falcons, the door actuators die. The reason it'll lock with a key is that the key lock is a mechanical mechanism, not an electric one. It could also be that in bashing the lock back you've broken something. If I was you, I'd just replace it. I think for E-Series falcons the best bet is an aftermarket job?

Correct me if I'm wrong guys!

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

If you plug the harness back in, but remove the button you bashed on, does it still do it?

The correct method to fit those buttons is to pull out the translucent part of the button thats up the guts of it. If you get a hooked piece of wire it will come out a little with a click, and the two halves of the jaws will separate.

You then close the door, lock it, and push the button on in that position.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Don't think it is the actuator altho this is a common problem. More than likely the plastic part on top is on too far and is not allowing the actuator to reach the full depth of it's travel. Hard to explain, but if you take the plastic top off and have a good look inside it you will see how to adjust it. If this doesn't help post again and I will try to get photos (try!!) 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:46 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

ok, but i don't think i told you this. Ive broken the thing that it slides done into. But yeah if i remove the white pole it still does it. When i get the replace surround for the door lock, ill do that method suggested by EBGizmo to put it on correctly :S

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if it does it without the pole i think you will need to replace the actuator!
did u install the led's in your ashtray yourself? if so you should have enough knowledge to be able to install the after market central lock kit from jaycar! i did it on mine! works a treat! nice quick locks...and no cycling :D

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:42 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Yeh, but my central locking normally works, so i would like to keep it without spending much more money.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fordjared wrote:
Yeh, but my central locking normally works, so i would like to keep it without spending much more money.

haha its $40 for the jaycar kit ;)
wreckers would probly charge that for a new actuator! jaycar is a little mucking arround, but imo is worth it!
if your heart is set on keeping ford central locking tho i may be able to dig up my old set.

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:54 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

haha nar ive been quoted 33bucks from a wrecker today

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

fordjared wrote:
haha nar ive been quoted 33bucks from a wrecker today

That would be for one actuator, the Jaycar kit includes all 4 door actuators IIRC

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]