Fordmods Logo

Change the color....but don't know how? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Change the color....but don't know how?
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hey all, ivr got myself an AU series 1 falcon and its got a s**t tan colour.....if i were to change the colour of the dash and paint the door trimming and all that stuff how would i go about it??? if i did get a pro to do it how much would it cost just to paint everything??? Thanks

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

you can paint everything your self. Thats what most people do here and you can pick your colour.

Its not really that hard to do.

Basically you get some vynal paint/dye and use that on it.

There are a couple of brands. The ones that worked well for me is VHT and SEPTONE.

Just clean each surface with something like grease and wax remover of metho or what ever.

You can prime the surface if you want but its all about the quality of the job.

The cans of paint arnt hard to use. The septone is especially easy to use.

Just spray on....Give it 2 or 3 coats. Use a fair bit of armour all on it cause it protects it from the sun..

Put it all back together.

Look at my dash that i have done Here

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

I have done my whole interior black in my EB using vinyl dye. This is what i have done:

Dash, centre console, door trims, roof lining, and the seats. I used VHT and it seems to work well. All the plastics are done with paint.

EBII XR6

WANTED: EL MANUAL XR6 ECU
Please PM me.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Black does wonders to take some years off the look of the interior, though I'm not a fan of that silver paint.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the black paint does look good... not too sure bout the silver though...

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

that looks sick great job, but if were to get a pro to do it how much would it cost cause i dont have a lot of time to do it myself.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: ebxr8

SA, Australia

That does look good,my interior is looking crudy,plastics have faded and look brittle might give it ago at some stage.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR8 Sedan or a potato gun

QLD, Australia

Mate it could cost anywhere from $500 (from a back door deal off a mate) through to 2 or 3 gorillas... All depending on what you want done and how well you want it done...
Honestly save yourself the money and for a couple of hundred at most in paint tins, you can get the job done just as well if not better thahn the so called pros...
A single door trim will take you probably half a day to complete - all four, a day if you work on each after the completion of each stage (ie. prime one let dry, prime second let dry etc, by the time you've primed the fourth you're ready to work on the first one again...), so if you have a day spare on the weekend, pull all four door trims off the night before, prep them (ie masking etc) and hit it hard the following morning... Not sure if you need primer for the vinyl though...
Plastics, I would highly recommend a very light sand with some wet and dry, primer, sand, primer then 2 or 3 light coates till you get the thickness of paint... Then to protect the paint and plastic and add a bit of shine, 2 or 3 light coates of clear gloss will go well - just make sure you let everything dry properly in between coates... Mine took 20 mins here in Rockhampton in the sun, but it may take a little longer there...
But I reckon do it yourself if you can spare the time. And not everything has to be done in one hit...

Sadly "X-RATED" has been sold to my brother - no longer do I own my XT - but its a brief sadness!! I now have an XR8 and permanent boner - SCHWING!!

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thanks mate for the great input......yeh i just wanna paint everything nlack thats all.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ha those two replys about not liking the silver is the first I've heard! What colour would you do it? It needs some contrast which is what the silver provides!

EBII XR6

Please PM me.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Sorry moite, in that car, it just seems to cheapen the good effort you made with the black. Maybe a dark grey. I'm working a maroon into my black, like a Fairmont red, but I think it will work in the EF interior.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I reckon if you could sand the plastic down with wet and dry or something to get it smooth and then paint like a bright aluminium colour with a few coates of clear gloss the silver would look alot better almost a chromie look - the ripples or rough texture on the plastic doesn't give it the right look... None-the-less though kudos on the effort and job well done!!

Sadly "X-RATED" has been sold to my brother - no longer do I own my XT - but its a brief sadness!! I now have an XR8 and permanent boner - SCHWING!!

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

yeah i know what you mean. I've been thinking about trying to get it smooth too, just havent bothered yet!

So do you think it would be possible to get it smooth with wet and dry sandpaper? what grits would you recomend?

If I do this I'm thinking of a slightly darker shade too, which means I'll have to do the door handles and window winders too.

I think if I use a primer and sand it back it might work alright, I'm talking a grey plastic primer.

We'll see how it goes.

EBII XR6

Please PM me.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I haven't done this myself however I have seen it done on the handle iserts on his BA - these are even rougher texture than those on the E - Series... He used 260 grit lightly as a start then hit it with 800 or 1000 I think... It was pretty damn fine so as not to scratch the surface real deep.

After that he primed, light sand, primed then paint (3 thin coates) and then 2 clear gloss coates... Came up schmick and factory looking!! He did a great job!!

Same principal would apply - lightly sand till shes nice and smooth, may take a while, and the temptation to dig in to get it done quicker will be overwhelming but patience with it will bring top results... You may not have to sand for as long considering the texture is not as rough as the BA's... I reckon get a test piece from a wrecker and expeiment with that first before you hit the car with it - be cheaper than F**k it then trying to source parts for your car!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]