Fordmods Logo

Changing barrel on el to ef- smart lock 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Changing barrel on el to ef- smart lock
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

hey guys some one tried to break into my car and so i dont have 2 keys i changed all locks on the car. my car is a 97 futura, i changed the barrel, drivers door, and boot from a ef. the part number on the ef barrel and el barrel are identical.

the roblem i have now is that the car wont start. the key turns normal and everything works fine, except when you start the car nothing happens.

i have tried the 30 min process in start and then tried to start the car twice and still it doesnt work.

my questios is: are the ef and el barrels interchangable, and if so why wont the car start?

im trying the 30 min process thing now for the third time. i dont think it will work though.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

from the tech doco - I think you'd be lucky to swap them over and get it to work...

ELECTRONIC IGNITION LOCK ASSEMBLY
The electronic ignition lock assembly contains a lock barrel, a shear shaft, an ignition switch with a vane, and an electronic circuit board.
The circuit board contains two infra red transmitters and receivers, and an E2PROM that holds the security codes.
When the key is turned, the vane on the ignition switch rotates and reflects one or both of the IR Transmitters.
This enables the electronic lock assembly to verify that the ignition switch is correctly fitted, and the position in which the key is in. When the key is turned to the On position, the electronic lock assembly transmits three codes from special memory locations to the BEM.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

i got it working!!

i left it in the "on" position for 60 minutes and it worked. also in the manual it states to turn the key to the start position and not turn it back off. i did this and it didnt work. i then turned it off, and then turned it back on and presto the car started. Thankyou for your reply happy. im glad its working and i have 1 key for the whole car now.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

I've heard that some cars are 60mins and some are less depending on the bem installed. Good the see it is going now.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]