Fordmods Logo

cheap mods to my 1996 ef fairmont? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: cheap mods to my 1996 ef fairmont?
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:14 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ford fairmont ef. 1996

VIC, Australia

hey everyone im new to this website and ive just recently picked up an ef fairmont for 1400 bucks, 240k on the clock, everythings mechanically sound and has been great since i got it 3 months ago... i was just wondering what are a few things i can do to it. ill post what ive done, and what i want for how much :)

what ive done: fusion enclosure sub, fusion encounter 6x9's, mid high range alpine headunit with usb n blutooth, green parkers, green neons in the footwells, blue l.e.d's in the cluster, seat covers. and thats pretty much it

what i want: i want it to sound better(maybe breaking the catalyst in the cat?), its stock height so i want it lower (not something crazy expensive though, im willing to lose a little comfortabilty) new 17 inch rims, 6 inch speakers for doors, 300-500 watt amp to power all speakers, and even just little visual things im open to all suggestions, i just want to start slow and then get up to the bigger stuff... sorry this post is big, but please feel free to comment :)

Post subject: Re: cheap mods to my 1996 ef fairmont?
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Get the rear resonator removed and replaced with a tail pipe gives it a sound, dont punch the insides of the cat out its ilegal with a big fine if caught,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Check out this thread:
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/3-9l-4-0l-inline-6-modification-guide-t66.html

Also have a look in the technical documents section under resources at the top of the page.

Cheers

Sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

oh ok i thought only completely removing the cat was illegal? i guess maybe breaking the cat is aswell but just harder to spot on the average street car. anyways thanks guys now just for some visuals i should be doing :)

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

mikhallzbarron wrote:
oh ok i thought only completely removing the cat was illegal? i guess maybe breaking the cat is aswell but just harder to spot on the average street car. anyways thanks guys now just for some visuals i should be doing :)

Having a non-functional catalytic convertor is illegal. So if you tamper with it to defeat it's purpose you will get done.

Also...visually you can't see it, but if I was to sit behind you in traffic with my windows open or vents open...I can smell it.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Just have a look through the forums and in the gallery see wat you like about other modded cars

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

oh ok the intake idea sounds good, what sorts of air intake mods should i be doing?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EF SERIES 2 XR6

NSW, Australia

By far the easiest one would be a k&n panel filter if you dont already have one, they are washable to so you dont have to replace them

96 EF XR6 Factory 5 sp, currently in the middle of building a new motor
75 XB hardtop, factory 351-4speed 9 inch 81000 genuine km's

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

mikhallzbarron wrote:
oh ok the intake idea sounds good, what sorts of air intake mods should i be doing?

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Negative ... ticle.html

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ef fairmont, all the usuall sh*t

VIC, Australia

if you cheak my pics you will see my tfi pod filter only cost me 24 from repco and it has done wonders it gives this model for what i can feel about 5 kw and inceases intake gargle sounds very nice and can hear it sucking on idle THOUGH if its not inclosed they are illegal so dont go bragging to cops :P pod filters are one of the best cheap mods

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

you could buy a shift kit for your auto off me,pm for details

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

NSW, Australia

ef mont wrote:
if you cheak my pics you will see my tfi pod filter only cost me 24 from repco and it has done wonders it gives this model for what i can feel about 5 kw and inceases intake gargle sounds very nice and can hear it sucking on idle THOUGH if its not inclosed they are illegal so dont go bragging to cops :P pod filters are one of the best cheap mods

Pod filters are good as they increase the overall surface area of the filter. However any overall power increase is very minimal (prob 1-2kw if that). They do, however, increase throttle response significantly if you can get some nice cold air to them. Plus they are around the same price as a good panel filter so there is a choice to which you can get.

Cheers

Sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

I have a k&n pod in my airbox, i brought an adaptor plate from autobarn which bolts inside the box i had to buy longer screws tho ,and have holes cut in the box so more air can get in, I noticed more throttle response and a bit more down low,

I had a similar set up in my auto ef and had a lot more down low, I would be crusing at 40 km and boot it and straight away it picked up and went no lag, but u won't notice it much in a manual

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]