Fordmods Logo

Climate control problem :( - UPDATED and RESOLVED :) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Climate control problem :( - UPDATED and RESOLVED :)
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

Hey everyone. The climate control in my EB Fairmont seems to be stuffing up. Air will only come out through the face vents - wont come out of demister vents at all! Also when I select feet only - air still comes out of the face vents and a tiny bit comes out of the feet vents. Its been like this ever since I got the car and really want to fix it. I have tried looking at the vacuum hoses behind the glove box and they seem to look ok. Is there a door or valve or something that is supposed to open to send air to the demister vents? Coz Im thinking maybe thats broken or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Last edited by bluecube on Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:02 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i think the door blend or blend door or what ever its called is stuffed :S. and supposedly they are either hard to replace or expensive to fix or something. but yeah they are vacuum controlled and if u dont hear any hissing sound in ur cabin then u shouldnt have a leak.....in that case ur door blend/blend door could be stuffed. someone correct me if im wrong

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Blend door is electrically controlled, not vacuum. And im pretty sure it has nothing to do with where the air is directed, it just mixes the hot and cold air.
Do a self test on the C/C first.

Check the vacuum line on the intake manifold second. If that aint hooked up, nothing vacuum related will work.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

mine is totally opposite, mine goes through demist instead of the vents, but it doesnt happena all the time

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:44 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Sturmovik is correct folks. You issues are vacuum related. BDM just regulates hot/cold air - it doesn't determine where it goes to. In addition to what has been rcommended, have a look at the check valve that sits in the vaccy lines behind the glovebox.
I've found on the EF/EL's if the vaccy line isn't attached properly to the cabin sniffer, it upsets the vacuum to the various actuator doors - they don't open properly or slowly, or struggle when there is higher fan speeds.

EA - ED's run a similar system, unplug the sniffer hose from the vaccy line behind the glovebox, block it off and test the system - if all's now okay, the line may be off the sniffer, which sits near the demist switch.

Wicksy: Your system is experiencing an intermittent loss of vacuum into the system, as it defaults to demist with no vacuum.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Sturmovik is correct folks. You issues are vacuum related. BDM just regulates hot/cold air - it doesn't determine where it goes to. In addition to what has been rcommended, have a look at the check valve that sits in the vaccy lines behind the glovebox.
I've found on the EF/EL's if the vaccy line isn't attached properly to the cabin sniffer, it upsets the vacuum to the various actuator doors - they don't open properly or slowly, or struggle when there is higher fan speeds.

EA - ED's run a similar system, unplug the sniffer hose from the vaccy line behind the glovebox, block it off and test the system - if all's now okay, the line may be off the sniffer, which sits near the demist switch.

Wicksy: Your system is experiencing an intermittent loss of vacuum into the system, as it defaults to demist with no vacuum.
i've done a self test on the control unit and it came up with no codes. i will try to check that sniffer hose thing sometime this weekend.

thanks for your help guys!

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

NP :P I'm not 100% sure about the EA-ED sniffers - they may run a separate vaccy motor or whatever.
I've seen broken vaccy actuator arms or actuator failure, they are rare, but can happen - you can pull the vacuum input hose off the vacuum connector (behind the glovebox) and push it into each actuator vacuum hose and run the system and see where the fan flow goes - the gregory's manuals have pretty good schematics of the hose arrangement.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeh behind my glovebox there is a red vaccuum hose with a pulg looking thing on the end??? is it meant to be hooked onto anything

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ba

VIC, Australia

mine just comes through the feet vents :(

Ba Stock As A Rock

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

mine got knocked back for roadworthy, i dont know why

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

The red hose is supposed to hook up to the face vent vacuum pump, Its behind the middle of the dash.
If you follow the blue one, it should be near there.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeh guys. i've done a bit more playing around and now my foot / face vents are working independantly of eachother now! yey. I actually found that the previous owner had used speaker wire to hold the vacuum servo thing (behind the middle of the dash at the bottom) at a certain level. So the pushrod thingy couldnt move in or out. I was like wtf - and cut the wire (thus releasing the rod) and now my feet and face vents work properly. It looked really dodgy too.

i am still unable to use the demister vents though. so technically.....according to the whole vacuum idea - if i unplug the black vac hose coming from the inlet manifold --> then the air should come through the demister vents automatically? (because there is no vacuum to hold other vents open).

Could someone let me know if i am on the right track. Coz I want to see if air can actually make it through to the demister vents. Coz I don't know what other dodgy stuff the previous owner may have done to the demister vents (hopefully he didnt block them off or something!!)

Any help would be great!

Cheers :)

P.S

Hey Snap.... what exactly does this sniffer hose do? And do you know which hose it would be? (its connected to that main solenoid block behind the glove box right?)

Thanks again!

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

bluecube wrote:
i am still unable to use the demister vents though. so technically.....according to the whole vacuum idea - if i unplug the black vac hose coming from the inlet manifold --> then the air should come through the demister vents automatically? (because there is no vacuum to hold other vents open).
Yeah, this is correct - easiest way to test is to turn IGN on (engine not running), and run the heater fan - should be able to feel airflow through the demist vents.

The actuator running feet/demist has 2 hoses going to it - yellow and tan. Vacuum to yellow directs air to the feet, no vacuum to yellow is demist, vacuum to yellow and tan directs air to demist and feet.

bluecube wrote:
Hey Snap.... what exactly does this sniffer hose do? And do you know which hose it would be? (its connected to that main solenoid block behind the glove box right?)
It draws air over the cabin temp sensor. It will most likely be a black hose.

My info above is EF/EL but EA-ED should be pretty much the same.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok. I just went to the car and tried that test of using the heater fan etc with only the IGN on. What happened was no air came from any of the vents at all. I can hear the fan going mental etc like normal but there was definetly no air from any of the vents in the car. (so im not sure where the air was going!!).

Is there some sort of rod or valve thingy that has to move in order for air to come out of the demister vents? Coz maybe its siezed or something (could even have speaker wire on it too! <-- like last time).

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I'd be inclined to apply/disconnect vacuum to the yellow hose, and to the tan hoses and test the actuator is actually working, and the airflow is coming out where it should.
Considering it sounds like your car has had a bit of 'doctoring' - you may need to pull the dash back a bit to view all the doors, etc - but test your vacuum flows first.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next