Climate control 

Page 2 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

markr154 wrote:
data_mine wrote:
anyone who's actually done the CC conversion availabe for questions?

Why does my blend door motor not fit? And does the fan controller, actually have to fit IN the heaterbox? It looks like it's supposed to and has a gasket for sealing it in. but there's no corresponding hole in my heaterbox, just a weird plug ting, which has a bunch of springs hooked up the a plug (this some sort of heater).

My car remains undriveable overnight. Back to it tomorrow.

Yes, it IS hard work. Lots of blood & sweat (no tears I'm a bloke).
Looks like Phil is THE interior mod MAN!!

Post some pics Phil!

Maybe I could use you when I decide to chuck in a Trip Computer & Climate Control ...what do you say?

Mate, I am afraid I would not be much use to you!! I cheated when doing all my conversions and used a complete EB ghia dash and CC airbox. I did this becasue my dash was all busted up and the airbox needed replacing as well.

Ring Walliston Wreckers, I got all the gear I needed, including complete dash airbox, body loom and cruise actuators from there for $100.

If you can get the right one for you it is all plug and play and is by far the easiest way to do it! The only issue is that you have to re-gas your aircon once the new airbox is in place.

Give me a PM if you need any other help, but it sounds you are going to take a different route and try to get these bits to integrate with your existing wiring! Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Some links for you as well.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... conversion

&

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... conversion

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Post subject: Re: climate control
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

philaddis wrote:
Greg you aint ever going to get that CC mod done. Like me your jsut too lazy :P.

As for bodykits, try ssv or awcinfo (?)(they are on the net). Or site sponsor FTG.

Yes Greg when is your CC conversion actually going to take place?

It's been a fair while now!!

Pull your finger out buddy![/quote]

waiting on one final part then all systems are go gents!!! I promise!! :D

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

Thanks Phil,

I took a look at your before, during and after shots!

During: Holy f**k! You just about emptied your whole driver's cabin! Top marks for sticking with it all, it all looked waaaay too hard for a novice like me!

After: What can I say, but a job WELL done! Fantastic result. You must be very proud!

Sorry, but I think the Trip Computer (if I can find one) will be the limit of my abilities ...even then I will probably have to flail myself with a baseball bat, just to psyche myself up for the job!

However, if I went out and got myself a complete EF Fairmont dash with TC & CC already fitted, that would be easier, RIGHT? (...wishful thinking)

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:13 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Sturmovik, is there a CC 'arm' or does the blend door motor just fit on top?

At the moment, the car is back together, no CC, as I couldn't figure out the fan speed controller.

But at least I'll have something to do next weekend.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

markr154 wrote:
Thanks Phil,

I took a look at your before, during and after shots!

During: Holy f**k! You just about emptied your whole driver's cabin! Top marks for sticking with it all, it all looked waaaay too hard for a novice like me!

After: What can I say, but a job WELL done! Fantastic result. You must be very proud!

Sorry, but I think the Trip Computer (if I can find one) will be the limit of my abilities ...even then I will probably have to flail myself with a baseball bat, just to psyche myself up for the job!

However, if I went out and got myself a complete EF Fairmont dash with TC & CC already fitted, that would be easier, RIGHT? (...wishful thinking)

Not really still gotta put the f**k in!

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
Sturmovik, is there a CC 'arm' or does the blend door motor just fit on top?

At the moment, the car is back together, no CC, as I couldn't figure out the fan speed controller.

But at least I'll have something to do next weekend.

There is a dedicated blend door attachment that the blend motor sits down into. I didn't have to do it, but I was told that you can change them over. I took a long look at both and reckon that they are not convertible.(No offence Sturmovik!)

This is just one of the reasons why it is far easier to just use a CC airbox. By the time you have stuffed around converting the original one, it is just plain more simple (good engrish, I know) to re-install one that is ready to go. The Blend door is one thing, the FSC is another and the air box sensor is yet another thing that looked like they would do my head in to adapt.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Sorry Philaddis, they are interchangable. Ive done it, My XR6 heaterbox has been 100% converted to a climate version.

Since I was swapping all the parts from my Fairmont wreck, I could compare the parts from both. You just need to swap that blend door motor attachment, fan speed controller, and Vacuum controller, and you've got a climate box.
Otherwise they are exactly the same. (Ford are too cheap anyway to have two different major parts like that)

As for the dash wiring im using the whole Fairmont loom, so luckily I didnt have to chop and change add wiring.

To all those that want to do it, honestly its not that hard! Just time consuming. Luckily my XR6 isnt my primary car so I could come and go at it when I had spare time.
Hardest part of the whole conversion is getting the damn heater hoses off and replaced.
Everything else is just unbolt/unscrew, swap and replace.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Sturmovik wrote:
Hardest part of the whole conversion is getting the damn heater hoses off and replaced.

heh. i know what you mean. after replacing all hoses on the old eb and knowing how much of a pain in the butt that is, i bent down and gently kissed the BA's rocker cover when i say the two hoses are right next to each other and clear as day on the exhaust side of the car...

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:04 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

I was under the impression you could'nt remove the CC box, as you'd have to drain and refill BOTH the colling system and the aircon system? Something I don't particualrily want to.

I guess now I need to find a blend door motor 'arm'.

You don't happen to have suitable pics, maybe I can modify the regular one.

Also need the FSC wiring details too.

But at least the car got me into work today :)

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I was under the impression you could'nt remove the CC box, as you'd have to drain and refill BOTH the colling system and the aircon system? Something I don't particualrily want to.

I guess now I need to find a blend door motor 'arm'.

You don't happen to have suitable pics, maybe I can modify the regular one.

Also need the FSC wiring details too.

But at least the car got me into work today :)

if you remove the heater box yes both your air cond lines and coolan lines will empty out. Maybe time it and give a flush also... I'm still unsure if I am going to replace my entire heater box (and end up having to regas and refill) or just put the different door motors in......?

BTW
Quote:
exholden: The EL XRs look like big sleek f**k off sharks, the AU a C**k with a hernia
I love it!!!!!!!
:D

FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sturmovik wrote:
Sorry Philaddis, they are interchangable. Ive done it, My XR6 heaterbox has been 100% converted to a climate version.

Since I was swapping all the parts from my Fairmont wreck, I could compare the parts from both. You just need to swap that blend door motor attachment, fan speed controller, and Vacuum controller, and you've got a climate box.
Otherwise they are exactly the same. (Ford are too cheap anyway to have two different major parts like that)

As for the dash wiring im using the whole Fairmont loom, so luckily I didnt have to chop and change add wiring.

To all those that want to do it, honestly its not that hard! Just time consuming. Luckily my XR6 isnt my primary car so I could come and go at it when I had spare time.
Everything else is just unbolt/unscrew, swap and replace.

Fair enough................I looked and decided with out trying. My HVAC box was rooted anyway so I swapped it out.

Did you change everything over with the airbox in situ? If so, I take my hat off to you........... I looked at the blend door motor and there was no way I was going to stuff around with that with the air box in the car, so out she came!!!

You are right tho the whole thing is worth it. It is not that hard, but it is definately time consuming!!!!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

You have to disconnect your heater lines and change your heaterbox, meaning you loose your coolant (big deal). And yes your aircon has to be de-gassed and then regassed again which is the only crap thing.

You will need to change your whole airbox as 85% of the parts fit on the pre-fairmont ones but not everything so it wont work properly.

Its an absolutely c**t to change it i tell you that much, unless you know what your doing and have a bit of knowledge i wouldnt recommend doing it, thers i think 10mm or 11m bolts in the engine bay to remove the heater box too, the whole dash and centre console, and its probably better jut doing a fairmont dash loom at the same time whilst your at it which funnily enuff only takes 5 minutes when the dash it out lol.

So yes, heaterbox change, or try it the other way it with a f**k box from a wrecker, see how you go that way

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:35 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Removing the dash certainly is fun. It was gonna by a once only deal. But I still have to fix the blend door motor, so it'll have to come off again. I can get to the FSC wiring behind the glove box.

I also used the time to 'install' my g-tech.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

fuzion wrote:
You have to disconnect your heater lines and change your heaterbox, meaning you loose your coolant (big deal). And yes your aircon has to be de-gassed and then regassed again which is the only crap thing.

You will need to change your whole airbox as 85% of the parts fit on the pre-fairmont ones but not everything so it wont work properly.

Its an absolutely c**t to change it i tell you that much, unless you know what your doing and have a bit of knowledge i wouldnt recommend doing it, thers i think 10mm or 11m bolts in the engine bay to remove the heater box too, the whole dash and centre console, and its probably better jut doing a fairmont dash loom at the same time whilst your at it which funnily enuff only takes 5 minutes when the dash it out lol.

So yes, heaterbox change, or try it the other way it with a f**k box from a wrecker, see how you go that way

yeah - cheers mate, i've got replacement heater box and fairmont loom so that's the way it is going to be....

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

happy, set aside 2 days dude, its the best way to go about it. and i personally suggest take out the front seats as it makes things so much easier

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next