Fordmods Logo

correct way to install a steering wheel 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:52 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

The airbag unit(s) keep power for suposedly a few minutes. So what I do, is pull the airbag fuse, go make a coffee/beer come back, and it'll be dead.

remov side bolts, remove airbag, undo horns/cruise buttons. Partially undo T50 screw, and wriggle the wheel until it comes off, it comes off in a sudden, so definately keep the T50 screwed in a bit our you'll end up eating steering wheel, I'd imagine it wouldn't be tasty.

Reverse the procedure with new wheel. Easy-ten minute job at most.

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2976

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: BF Typhoon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
The airbag unit(s) keep power for suposedly a few minutes. So what I do, is pull the airbag fuse, go make a coffee/beer come back, and it'll be dead.

remov side bolts, remove airbag, undo horns/cruise buttons. Partially undo T50 screw, and wriggle the wheel until it comes off, it comes off in a sudden, so definately keep the T50 screwed in a bit our you'll end up eating steering wheel, I'd imagine it wouldn't be tasty.

Reverse the procedure with new wheel. Easy-ten minute job at most.

Same deal, altho if your like me n lazy, i just d/c the battery 2 min before hand, plus a reset of the comp every now and then can be good.

 

_________________

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 5313

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

Location: Melbourne, S.E Suburbs
VIC, Australia

yeh the bible (gregories manual) says disconnect battery for 2 mins...
i do it for 5 just incase

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 120

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

just had a go, no joy.

Pulled everything apart peice of piss but couldn't get the old wheel to budge :(

I used the fuse method - I figure its the same thing using the fuse or battery anyway.. both kill the circuit so. Upside was I didn't have to clear any faults with the airbag after I put it back together again.

I'll try it again when I'm less tired after work and if it still won't come off I'll bite the bullet and take it to lynford to get them to do it :x

 

_________________

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:12 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

don't take it to lynford! :shock: get benn to pull it off! hes a big strong boy! :lol: brute strength is all thats needed! :wink:

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Reddevil wrote:
just had a go, no joy.

Pulled everything apart peice of piss but couldn't get the old wheel to budge :(

I used the fuse method - I figure its the same thing using the fuse or battery anyway.. both kill the circuit so. Upside was I didn't have to clear any faults with the airbag after I put it back together again.

I'll try it again when I'm less tired after work and if it still won't come off I'll bite the bullet and take it to lynford to get them to do it :x


Last time I pulled the fuse the airbag warning light came on after I re-installed it, requiring re-setting the SRS system. Every other time I have just disconnected the battery with no troubles after.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 120

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

madmax wrote:
Last time I pulled the fuse the airbag warning light came on after I re-installed it, requiring re-setting the SRS system. Every other time I have just disconnected the battery with no troubles after.


Resetting the SRS isnt too hard tho, just need a peice of wire


uglybob wrote:
don't take it to lynford! :shock: get benn to pull it off! hes a big strong boy! :lol: brute strength is all thats needed! :wink:


lol!

shame I couldn't have it on in time for the long drive south this weekend :cry:

 

_________________

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Last edited by Reddevil on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:33 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

Reddevil wrote:
uglybob wrote:
don't take it to lynford! :shock: get benn to pull it off! hes a big strong boy! :lol: brute strength is all thats needed! :wink:


lol!

shame I couldn't have it on in time to drive south this weekend :cry:


you won't see him before then? lol i did one last nite - was easy! 8-)

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 120

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
Reddevil wrote:
uglybob wrote:
don't take it to lynford! :shock: get benn to pull it off! hes a big strong boy! :lol: brute strength is all thats needed! :wink:


lol!

shame I couldn't have it on in time to drive south this weekend :cry:


you won't see him before then? lol i did one last nite - was easy! 8-)


Pretty sure he's working everynight between then and now

Had to leave the T50 on my door step this morning lol

I tried everything on that wheel, bashing it hard all the way around, yanking the hell out of it while wiggling it around and the good ole feet on the dash too!

 

_________________

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:46 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

I've found gentle wiggleing is what is required. brute force did nothing for me, except hurt my wrist.

Wiggle north/south, for a bit, then east-west, and alternate. (you should feel the 'play' increase as you go)

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 2976

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: BF Typhoon

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I've found gentle wiggleing is what is required. brute force did nothing for me, except hurt my wrist.

Wiggle north/south, for a bit, then east-west, and alternate. (you should feel the 'play' increase as you go)

Yer, this is the easiest way - brute force worked for me, but it was definetely the harder of the two methods on the ol wrists!! :lol:
I was told that there is sterring wheel remover tools, but ive never used or seen one in use, this might have to be the case if its REALLY on there, maybe someone glues it on, goodness knows!? :o

 

_________________

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:03 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

yeah you can use a puller - thats if you have access to one! :P not sure it'd be worth buying though - if you are friendly with a mechanic, then ask him if you can borrow - if not, with some effort, theres no reason you couldn't get it off!

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 120

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I can probably get my hands on a mechanical puller for taking wheels off things like bandsaws if I asked someone nicely at work, then again my local mechanic might be able to fit it for me if I ask.. he's pretty good like that.

I wouldnt want to burr the thread on the shaft tho :shock:

 

_________________

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Reddevil wrote:
madmax wrote:
Last time I pulled the fuse the airbag warning light came on after I re-installed it, requiring re-setting the SRS system. Every other time I have just disconnected the battery with no troubles after.


Resetting the SRS isnt too hard tho, just need a peice of wire



True but you need to know which pins to jump. Thats how I first found fordmods.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 120

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

one of the first things I got after I brought my car was a gregory's manual ;)

chapter 18.

 

_________________

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:28 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names