Cruise Control Light 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Cruise Control Light
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

I have installed an Electronic cruise control set up from a EF into my NC. I haven't tested it yet but i am pretty sure its right. however my problem is with the light (i am retaining the original cluster) with the EA-ED set-up the light is turned on by the cruise ECU supplying +12V. In the EF set-up the light is turned on by earthing the circuit. Is there anyway to overcome this problem?

EA-ED
Quote:
Pin 13, Cruise Control Input, +12V On, Violet/Blue

EF
Quote:
Pin 10, Cruise Control Activation, Ground, Yellow / Light Blue

(both examples are with the high series clusters)

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

bump

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

use a relay

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

I concur, a relay should do the job!

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

What does the cruise ECU plug in to?

Does it connect to the BEM, or the EECV?

Or is it plugged into a loom that has one wire connected directly to the cluster wire for illumination?

EF II Sedan

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

If your Cruise ECU outputs a negative 12V, then one of these circuits will work.

Don't forget the diode, or the relay could damage the Cruise ECU. Make sure its the correct way around as well. A 1N4001 or better will do.

Attachments:
Cruise Relay.jpg
Cruise Relay.jpg [ 25.88 KiB | Viewed 130 times ]

EF II Sedan

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

cheers for that,

this is the diagram i used. It is wired 100% as per the diagram. I have a EF steering colum + clockspring and cruise switchs.

what sort of relay should i use? are they any different? i got a few lying around the place here, I dunno if i could use them or not????

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Any relay with a 12V coil and contacts of at least 1 amp should be fine.

Looking at that diagram, however, i'm now concerned as to why there is another wire going to the cluster - the white wire, which I am guessing is connected to the LCD dimmer. The cruise module might use this wire to change the voltage out of the unit in order to dim the cruise light when the parkers are on.

I would wire everything up EXCEPT the indicator light, get it working, and test the voltage on the indicator wire. Depending on how the white wire is used, the indication wire may be less than 12V, and may not pull in the relay.

Can you find out from another schematic where that white wire is supposed to go for sure?

The diagram also doesn't say if its a negative output or not, but I looked at the diagram for EF I have here, and that one is Negative.

EF II Sedan

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

EBGizmo wrote:
Any relay with a 12V coil and contacts of at least 1 amp should be fine.

Looking at that diagram, however, i'm now concerned as to why there is another wire going to the cluster - the white wire, which I am guessing is connected to the LCD dimmer. The cruise module might use this wire to change the voltage out of the unit in order to dim the cruise light when the parkers are on.

I would wire everything up EXCEPT the indicator light, get it working, and test the voltage on the indicator wire. Depending on how the white wire is used, the indication wire may be less than 12V, and may not pull in the relay.

Can you find out from another schematic where that white wire is supposed to go for sure?

The diagram also doesn't say if its a negative output or not, but I looked at the diagram for EF I have here, and that one is Negative.

the white wire is the speed sender. Its also used on the EA-ED cruise set up as well.

also, i am using the LCD cluster. With the LCD cluster, the cruise indicator is a part of the left hand side LCD screen which goes transparent when the cruise is turned on and is illuminated by a bulb which is ALWAYS on (contolled by BEM). Where as with the EF the cruise lamp is exactly that, a bulb on its own. This is the only reason why i can think that the indicators are turned on differently between the two...

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Do you have a pic of your LCD cluster?

I've never seen one, so i'm not entirely sure what you are trying to explain regarding how the LCD indicates cruise is active.

I take it so far that there is a backlit LCD display that is always on, and a segment of the LCD displays cruise? Is it an LCD or an LED display?

It might not be 12V if its LCD, and might require something else to run.

I'd say you'll need the schematic for the EA/EB LCD cluster to work this out. Can you supply a copy, as I only have diagrams for EF :(

As long as the cluster accepts 12V to trigger the LCD (using its own driver circuitry) it won't be a problem.

EF II Sedan

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

EBGizmo wrote:
Do you have a pic of your LCD cluster?

I've never seen one, so i'm not entirely sure what you are trying to explain regarding how the LCD indicates cruise is active.

I take it so far that there is a backlit LCD display that is always on, and a segment of the LCD displays cruise? Is it an LCD or an LED display?

It might not be 12V if its LCD, and might require something else to run.

yes, the LCD screen is backlight by a bulb that comes on when key is in the Acc Position. And when cruise is on, a segment displays "cruise control on"

according to the doco, the segment is turned on via 12V by the EA-ED cruise ECU.

(these pics where taken from my DC which still has the older style cruise)

^^^ What He Said

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]