Fordmods Logo

Cruise Control 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Cruise Control
Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Can anyone supply me with the wiring layout for fitting cruise to an EL Gli ?
Apparently Ford no longer stock the special wiring loom.

Thanks

Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

I started to put pen to paper on an EF GLi cruise control install i did some weeks ago. Can send you a rough copy and you can be my testing ginnie pig, sending back any comments on the doc :)

PM your email address and i'll send it to you.

Cheers

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

See if this is of any help.I used it to install mine.It was supplied by a fellow fordmods member.It might be better if i email it to you if you like??

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

while your at it, email a copy to me @ fuzion008@hotmail.com if you could please!

thx

Post subject: Cruise
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Eagleaus and Itchi.

Thanks for the diagrams and very detailed doco.

Itchi I will follow the doco and "critique" it for you. The one query I have (and I haven't got the cruise gear yet) is the wiring of the buttons on the wheel. Am I correct in assuming that this wiring is already in place on my existing steering loom and the buttons connect to this ? and any connections that need to be made are on the BIG WHITE PLUG in the footwell ?
Can I also assume that if I get the entire engine bay wiring loom up to the BIG WHITE PLUG as you describe then I only need to worry about wiring in tthe cabin side of the plug. I am assuming that it will be far too much trouble for me to get the entire dash loom and wire it in.

Post subject: Re: Cruise
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:51 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

kiwishau wrote:
...Itchi I will follow the doco and "critique" it for you. The one query I have (and I haven't got the cruise gear yet) is the wiring of the buttons on the wheel. Am I correct in assuming that this wiring is already in place on my existing steering loom and the buttons connect to this ? and any connections that need to be made are on the BIG WHITE PLUG in the footwell ?
Can I also assume that if I get the entire engine bay wiring loom up to the BIG WHITE PLUG as you describe then I only need to worry about wiring in tthe cabin side of the plug. I am assuming that it will be far too much trouble for me to get the entire dash loom and wire it in.

You need to get the wiring harness that has the cruise and horn buttons attached. You get this from behind the airbag of the donor vehicle. This then replaces your existing horn button harness which is tossed out. The needed wires from the clock spring to the big white plug (even the cruise lamp) already exist in the EF GLi's so nothing more is done here.

You can either modify the firewall loom going from the big white plug into the engine bay as described in my doc OR if the donor vehicle dash is removed, it is very easy to pull out the complete loom and take it home with you. In the later case you can either remove the wires needed for what i call the cruise control sub loom (in the comfort of your home) or swap your firewall loom and the complete donor loom - down side of this is that your dash must be removed. The work needed under your dash is the modification of your existing firewall/engine bay loom with a cruise sub loom.

Note that it sounds like lots of work to pull out an EF dash but its not so bad. If i did it again, and i scored a futura firewall loom, i would just swap it. If you also take the dash loom as well as the firewall loom from the donor vehicle, you score the wiring for footlamps, trip computer and part of the low coolant and low washer wires. Easy to get caried away isn't it...

Hope this answers some and i haven't confused you more :)

Cheers

Post subject: Cruise
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Nah not confused...your explanation is as clear as mud !!!!. Kidding

Understand now...I assumed the loom ran through the engine bay not behind the dash plus now you point out the additional features of the internal loom I am kicking myself as I got the trip computer from the same donor car ....and CUT OFF the plug ..... DUH ! Oh well.

I pick up all the cruise bits on the 4th so I will probably install over the long weekend.

Post subject: Re: Cruise
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:21 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

kiwishau wrote:
....I got the trip computer from the same donor car ....and CUT OFF the plug ..... DUH ! Oh well.

Yeh.. :) that's the problem with the loom i got - a number of connectors had been cut off so i couldn't do a simple swap :shock:

good luck with the install - if you have probs, just drop a PM.

Cheers.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUFalcon Series 1

NSW, Australia

Itchi any chance of emailin me that guide.

Also eagleaus could you please email me your info above.

Thanks Guys

AU1 Falcon 18" wheels, Extractors, 2 1/2 inch system, Ultra Lows Front and Super lows in the Rear, Sun Roof (Pop up), Hawk body kit. Manual gear box.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]