Fordmods Logo

Custom Dash Designs Illegal apparently..... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Custom Dash Designs Illegal apparently.....
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Hi, just letting all the people know that those stick on dash designs could be illegal mods, you might say duh i already know, or who cares, but thought i'd mention it for anyone who has insurance on their car and dont want their company to have a reason for knocking back a claim......

My mate went to register his car and the roadworthy bloke said it was illegal and wont pass with the dash design on...

Pretty fukin stupid if you ask me cause it doesnt affect the visibilty of the dials, light shines through perfectly, its just stupid, another way for the goverment to discourage people to mod there cars, therefore being "safer" :roll: :evil:

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Is it just in QLD or has it got to do with ADRs?

Last edited by TwistedEL on Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

I have no idea, mate but yes my mate is in QLD, but im guessing whatever reasoning there is for it, would apply to all states.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

Im guessing the ones that have some kind of large graphics on there may be the ones that are illegal, as they do tend to make the speedo area look "busy"....

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

I dont there is any adr ruling broken by having a non oem dial cover - so long as the back lighting isnt to bright and the image - simply as both shouldnt be a distraction for the driver....these tho are simply for show....be like air brushed graphics inside and out ... so long as they arent going to effect the driver then there shouldnt be an issue...

Cops and engineers have seen and complemented mine not told me to take em out :)

Engineers were in canberra and copper was in WA :)

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1990 EA Spac

NSW, Australia

Queensland can be like that. I went to change my licence over when I moved there some time ago now and they said I had to take a test. I got 3 questions wrong. How far you can park from a post box etc and failed me. I had been driving for 30 years at that time. How bloody stupid was that. But thats Qld for you.

Drive safe, arrive alive

EA Spak EL dash and interior, thermo's,BBM, EF head and cam, superlows,

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

falconea wrote:
Queensland can be like that. I went to change my licence over when I moved there some time ago now and they said I had to take a test. I got 3 questions wrong. How far you can park from a post box etc and failed me. I had been driving for 30 years at that time. How bloody stupid was that. But thats Qld for you.

yet they actually have quite a few relaxed laws compared to other states and territories such as underbody lighting etc...there far less fussed with it I noticed driving round up there and talking to a few of the cops (didnt do anything wrong either lol)

Instrumentation must comply with ADR 18/03 - Instrumentation (mainly discusses the speedometer) - Section 5.1 "...The display of the speedometer must be located within the direct field of view of the driver and must be clearly legible both day and night...."

One of the main things is that the speedometer values arent changed...if the speedo exceeds 200km/h then there are so certain guidelines that have to be followed with increment the values ie ever 30km/h etc....if you do mod your dial cover then id leaving all the readings on all guages the same (which most ppl do)....just change the backing to allow more light...or insert some images etc

Asise from that ADR there are no other general safety rules that say anything about the actual visual look and style of guages - just that they cant impair the drivers view, impai their driving or visual ability and dont effect the visual legibility of the display.

Best advice is to setup ya dash and either take the car into an engineer/technical area of an inspection station or even email a few deent photos of your new dash/day and night (so they can check out the lighting aspect) and see what they say...cant hurt to ask and cant sting you for it either if its by email or u bring a cluster in...

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]