Dashout in EB - Mystery plug on dash 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Dashout in EB - Mystery plug on dash
Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

Just ripped the dash out of my EBII fairmont to put in my manual pedal box.

Okay that bits done now putting the dash back in I now have a mystery plug on the drivers side with the main looms.. Its a 3 pin plug (decent sized wires) with 2 wires, Yellow and Black. Its at the drivers side of the dash.

Now Is there chance this plug doesn't actually connect to anything? because i've pulled the dash back out to find that there isnt a matching plug on the body side of the wiring so basically I have NFI and theres a possibilty the car wont work ? Not a good thing !

Any help would be sweet thanks guys ..

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

I think its the connector that goes to the amp for premo sound (if its the one i'm thinking of) my NC (had) it and it connected to the body loom which then feeds the amp its juice

its just a postive and negitive cable. I am sure you can find a use for it :)

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oikay cool thats a possibilty..

I've hooked everything else up and now just seeing what does / doesnt work..

One thing that i am worried about is:

Vacuum lines that connect to the pedals.. where do they hook up to?

And

Black Vacuum line that runs across the top of the pedal box from the drivers side to the passenger side.... what does this hook up to? To the pedals? hopefully.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

Sorry to go off topic, but I'm actually having trouble removing my EBII XR6 dash... I've unplugged most of the cables (I think there are still a few but are seriously unreachable).. but I still can't take it off.

Some steps would be greatly appreciated. Or, if you can tell if if there are detailed instructions in the owners book (which I don't have right now)...

Thanks.

1998 EL Falcon XR6 | Galaxy Blue | 5spd Manual | 18" AJR | 2.5 Exhaust | Dumpt | -----FOR SALE-----

2005 Ford Territory TS | Black | 19" Cross-5 Chrome | Leather | Premium Sound |

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey mate

While i dont have the exact procedures on hand at the moment (I used the gregorys manual) i'll see if i can give u some pointers for now.

Remove your glove box, both kick panels.

Remove your center console, stereo surround (cd player if u have rca's and s**t coming through the dash)

Unscrew the trim for the handbrake assembly. Unbolt the handbrake assembly and let it sit on the floor.

Unclip the bonnet release. You'll have to pull it down at the back and slide it backwards.

Either take the column out or at least unbolt it from the pedal box and take the steering wheel off (I scratched the f**k out of my factory momo.. not happy!!)

Take the crash pad off, unclip the tweeter wiring.

Undo the lower bolts (2 on the side, 2 in the middle) of the dash. Unscrew the top screws.

Lean the dash forward and unclip everything. You'll have to reach down into the dash on the drivers side to disconnect everything. It's not really that hard most of them are accessible and remember that you will be doing them back up so you'll have to manouver the dash into a position so as you can plug them back together at some poiint.

If you dont have climate you'll have to muck around with heater cables and s**t i cant help with that :P

But yeah I just went nuts unclipping all the plugs and then managed to pull it out by myself and put it back in by myself. One thing to note is as fordz said when u put it back together you will have this mystery plug.. I assume he was correct in saying it was for the premo sound because i left it disconnected and everything seems to work.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

Thanks heaps mate, that helps alot.

Just a question about removing the crash pad. At the front of it, there are screws... are they to be removed? They are bloody hard to access as the window it obstructing any room to fit a screwdriver properly.

Also, when I un-bolted my steering column, it just dropped. Is this bad for it?

Thanks again. (I've also got the Gregory's somewhere)

1998 EL Falcon XR6 | Galaxy Blue | 5spd Manual | 18" AJR | 2.5 Exhaust | Dumpt | -----FOR SALE-----

2005 Ford Territory TS | Black | 19" Cross-5 Chrome | Leather | Premium Sound |

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Theres a row of screws closest to the front of the dash.. They're the only ones you need to remove..

And yeah you should be able to rest the wheel on the edge of the seat. I'd almost say just remove it so as theres no chance of damaging anything. I sort of wish i'd had but i wouldnt have had dash out, change pedal box, dash in again in 6hrs if i had taken it out completley..

Also you'll find theres a big thick wire with no plug that runs from the dash to the steering colmn.. I sat my dash on the seats so that wire wasnt an issue but your results may vary..

Anyway you or someeone else might now..

Theres a black vacuum line running over the top of the pedal box from the right to the left (drivers to passengers sides).. Does this run OVER the pedal box, through a hole in the left side of the box, and then connect to the vacuum switches??

I have a vacuum leak and i'm assuming its because of that.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Diagram of pedal box / vacuum wiring??
Is this familiar to anyone??

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

^ those vac lines are a part of the cruise control.

What is it you want to know, where they connect?

I can take a pic of the set up under my LTD, but that is an auto.

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey mang

I'm thinking of a different vac line...

Was talkin to a bloke at my local ford dealership and i found ANOTHER vac line that comes down from the left of the pedal box that hooks upto the cruise vac swithces.. The one the comes from the right is something to do with the heater box...

Apparently this vac line that comes over from the right hand side kick panel is something to do with the climate stuf which makes my vents change when i put the foot down and the motor loses vacuum...

I think i've gotta pull the dash out again grr

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

can you grab a couple of pics of this vac line and where it is by any chance??

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Yes the vac line that is above the pedal box goes from a reservoir in the drivers front guard, to the heater box.

Also dont just drop the steering column, you should remove it. Letting it just drop will ruin the bush at the base of the column, which isnt replacable.
You need to disconnect the column from the firewall first, and then undo the other bolts.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sturmovik wrote:
Yes the vac line that is above the pedal box goes from a reservoir in the drivers front guard, to the heater box.

Also dont just drop the steering column, you should remove it. Letting it just drop will ruin the bush at the base of the column, which isnt replacable.
You need to disconnect the column from the firewall first, and then undo the other bolts.

Ah ic. Yeah i spoke to a guy at ford and he mentioned something like that, Now i've just gotta pull the dash out which i'll attack this afternoon and find out where it goes.. dont happen to have a picture or anything do ya? :P

So if this bush on the column gets ruined what do you have to do? replace the column? or is it part of the car?
Also how do i take out the column? is it just a case of undoing bolts at the firewall and pulling it out? or do i have to undo that uni joint? I might have to look in that gregorys manual i have :P

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Yeah undo the uni in the engine bay, then at the firewall. Its a pain in the a** but they are atleast $700 from Ford (the column) so its worth the effort.

If you look at your heaterbox, theres a big bunch of vacuum lines, the black one is the main vacuum supply from the engine, and theres a 2nd black hose that goes across the heater box, over the top of the pedal box and out through the footwell to the inner guard to the reservior. I dont think that 2nd line is disconnectable other than from the reservior, so you may have broken it.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sturmovik wrote:
Yeah undo the uni in the engine bay, then at the firewall. Its a pain in the a** but they are atleast $700 from Ford (the column) so its worth the effort.

If you look at your heaterbox, theres a big bunch of vacuum lines, the black one is the main vacuum supply from the engine, and theres a 2nd black hose that goes across the heater box, over the top of the pedal box and out through the footwell to the inner guard to the reservior. I dont think that 2nd line is disconnectable other than from the reservior, so you may have broken it.

Cool as mate. Yeah with the steering column bearing assembly, I was at my local ford uh-gain talkin s**t and i mentioned that my steering was heavy now and asked them about a bearing or something.. I was talkin to the head repair-er guy person and he said that sometimes the lower bearing on the columns just die and apparently you can get a bearing kit for the column which is roughly about $90.

This kit includes a bearing for the lower which is 2 halves. Apparently you have to dig out the old bearing and slide these 2 halves in their place.

Having said that i think i f**k that bearing good and i think im gonna just swap the column over.

Also yeah i figured out that vacuum line .. it has a connector just behind the heater box. I've put up another thread :)

Thanks for the help mate.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]