Fordmods Logo

diy trim repairs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: diy trim repairs
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:57 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG

SA, Australia

hi was just wondering if anyone here has repaired/replaces sections of the seat trim.was kind of hoping it would be easy and somthing that could be done with a home sewing machine.

obviously i would need to un pick the damaged section out and trace it on new fabric then sew it it, but curious if the covers come off easy?

does anyone have patterns to use incase the damaged section is unable to be used as a template

thanks

I did a search onn here unable to find anything, what i did find was a dead link.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yeah man they come off pretty easily, but you will need some pliers and somewhere to work. I unpicked an xr6 seat where the backrest had snapped, so i said we will use the seat foam and the cover on another base but as far as I got was the unpicked cover.
they are pretty simple, but if there isnt much hem on them you will have to add some in your pattern.
the clips that hold the seat covers on are s**t little round bits of fencing type wire which you will have to use the pliers and some elbow grease.

if you are good on the sewing machine it will be a piece of piss..
that is on the seat backs. the base should be very much along the same lines as that.
If I could sew I would have done mine already, I think i will do it anyway heheh just have a go hey.

Try it out on some car seat you can get from the wreckers and if it works out you can go from there.

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG

SA, Australia

thanks , i think i will have a go I need to have it done. repaired or replace the seat as they picked on it when i had an inspection done for a defect, but decided to let me through. This time i dont think i will be so luck as it is going in for a change of drive line inspection. i will let you know how i go. grand ma or gf should be able to help with the sewing side.

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

jasonk wrote:
thanks , i think i will have a go I need to have it done. repaired or replace the seat as they picked on it when i had an inspection done for a defect, but decided to let me through. This time i dont think i will be so luck as it is going in for a change of drive line inspection. i will let you know how i go. grand ma or gf should be able to help with the sewing side.

I had my car failed for RWC based on a miniscule tear that had started forming on the side bolster. Asked the mechanic what I could do, and he gave me a seat cover to chuck on it - instant pass!

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

Private9 wrote:
jasonk wrote:

I had my car failed for RWC based on a miniscule tear that had started forming on the side bolster. Asked the mechanic what I could do, and he gave me a seat cover to chuck on it - instant pass!

how can a small tear fail a RWC? :?

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

alfy wrote:
Private9 wrote:
jasonk wrote:

how can a small tear fail a RWC? :?

Don't ask me, but 2 seperate places faulted it.

When I was younger I did work experience with 2 different RWC mechanics, and both told me they test for this as well.

Post subject: Re: diy trim repairs
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

jasonk wrote:
hi was just wondering if anyone here has repaired/replaces sections of the seat trim.was kind of hoping it would be easy and somthing that could be done with a home sewing machine.

obviously i would need to un pick the damaged section out and trace it on new fabric then sew it it, but curious if the covers come off easy?

does anyone have patterns to use incase the damaged section is unable to be used as a template

thanks

I did a search onn here unable to find anything, what i did find was a dead link.
cloth trim is ok,but use trimmers cotton -1 mm dia. waxed thread,you have to change the needle size to suit and time the machine,bobbins need to be filled more,as they are smaller,tie the ends off,to stop the stiches from undoing.new ring clips can be bought from hardware shops and the pliers----all cars use the rings to fit trim to seats.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

^^ what hans said, except the ba range which use plastic clips and velcro... just goes to show you how cheap and cruddy a ba is :)

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ef

SA, Australia

the hog clips will undoubtedly break getting them off. i used cable ties. you cant see them. theyre dead easy to use. you may even beabke to pull the rods in tighter for a snugger fitting seat.

there are three types of people in this world:
those that can count and those that can't

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah cable ties were what I was going to suggest too. they are easier and faster to use anyhow :)

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]